Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2011, 11:28 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Kitchen faucets

Can I use residential kitchen faucets to replace my existing (plastic crap) faucet? This will be my second replacement in one year and my DW and I have nobody abusing them. Can you also suggest to me a reputable supply company that can provide me with a quality product in this regard. All the RV supply houses seem to have the same poor quality faucets.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have replaced RV faucets with residential ones in the past. It can be done but you sort of have to work at it. At least I did. Had to have a hose connection to reduce to the hose size in the RV and I had some issue with the fittings to pex line from brass on the faucet. It was worth it. I found everything I needed at Home Depot.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
paz

Our motorhome came with a residential (Moen) faucet. I have seen the exact same model at Lowe's and Home Depot.

The only problem I could foresee if you didn't originally have a residential faucet is the plumbing connectors under the sink may be different. If in doubt, take the old faucet with you when you buy the new one and ask how they recommend adapting it if the fittings aren't the same.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
a few years ago, i took my trailer in to have the kitchen faucet replaced while it was under warranty. the dealer went to a plumbing supplier and picked up a Moen residential faucet and installed that. more recently, my shower head was getting clogged and the hose was beginning to unravel. i went to Lowe's and got a new shower head, hose and wall bracket.

likes other already stated, you may need to get the hoses one would normally use in a house to connect the faucet to the water supply.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #5

I replaced all of mine, bath, shower and kitchen. Home Depot or Lowes will have everything you need. I found the worst part of changing the kitchen one was the tight working space. At 6'1" and 250 it can be rather snug. It's well worth the effort.
Greg
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My 05 Excel had a fairly decent kitchen faucet. But, they wear out and I wanted better quality and a sprayer. Talked to my dealer in Moriarty (great people) then went to Lowes, bought a Moen single handle, the faucet pulls out of the main body and becomes a sprayer (can't find the model number right now). About $125. If you can do minor plumbing, you can do this. The instructions are very easy to understand. I used "sharkbite" quick connections and did not have any leaks or drips. Anyone who has done plumbing, water lines, drains, etc. will tell you, to not have at least 1 dripping connection is some kind of a miracle!! Probably the hardest part was working in the tight confines of an RV. The faucet works well even with the decreased water pressure in an RV. Good luck with your project.
RET FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RET FF View Post
My 05 Excel had a fairly decent kitchen faucet. But, they wear out and I wanted better quality and a sprayer. Talked to my dealer in Moriarty (great people) then went to Lowes, bought a Moen single handle, the faucet pulls out of the main body and becomes a sprayer (can't find the model number right now). About $125. If you can do minor plumbing, you can do this. The instructions are very easy to understand. I used "sharkbite" quick connections and did not have any leaks or drips. Anyone who has done plumbing, water lines, drains, etc. will tell you, to not have at least 1 dripping connection is some kind of a miracle!! Probably the hardest part was working in the tight confines of an RV. The faucet works well even with the decreased water pressure in an RV. Good luck with your project.
You make an excellent point about the Shark Bite fittings. They make connecting different kinds of pipe together very easy.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #8

I agree with all of the above posts.
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a new Peerless faucet that I'm waiting for my tech to install. I have no desire to do it myself and I'm bigger than mahon1993 so climbing under that sink is a non starter to begin with.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #10

Bought mine at Lowes, $140. Wanted a high faucet with a pull out sprayer. The soap dispenser came as part of the kit. Now that it is in I like having it.

The connections are the same. Only thing I had to do was shorten the water lines. That involved buying two splices and cutting out the extra line. Super simple.
BigV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #11

The center of the supply pipes on house type kitchen faucets is 8". Some of the lesser quality have 1/4" copper pipes out the center of the faucet below the spout.

Moen is the best quality faucet you can find. I have all moen faucets in my full time 5'er.

I am a retired plumber.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote