Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2013, 10:19 AM   #1

Kitchen Remodel

My wife and I are contemplating the purchase of a 2003 Travel Supreme. Our only reticence is with the two burner stove in the kitchen. This rig has granite counters and the stove is recessed and can be covered with four lift out granite panels.

Can this stove be retrofitted with a three burner stove? Yes, of course! But how cost effectively? Something a very handy owner can do themselves? Recommendations on a good remodel shop in Colorado would be helpful as well. Anyone undertaken this and can share experiences?

The granite seems to be the biggest roadblock. If the tops were corian or some other solid surface a jig saw could easily do the trick.

TIA,

Pining away for a Class A,

Kelly

kellylipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I would just look up a granite shop in your locale. They can advise you on a cost. It would likely be a messy endeavor as they probably would have to wet cut it.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is not exactly the answer you are looking for, but I bought a spare electric burner for our moho. I can use it inside or outside the RV, and it stows away easily. Amazon.com: Waring SB30 1300-Watt Portable Single Burner: Kitchen & Dining

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #4

Keep 'em coming! I'm sure we can come up with an answer!
Old 06-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
This is not exactly the answer you are looking for, but I bought a spare electric burner for our moho. I can use it inside or outside the RV, and it stows away easily. Amazon.com: Waring SB30 1300-Watt Portable Single Burner: Kitchen & Dining
I also have this. It works out great.

The burner Sarah has shown also comes in 2 burner models. And they do store away easy. Honestly, I don't think I would tear apart my granite counter tops just to add 1 more burner.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
I also have this. It works out great.

The burner Sarah has shown also comes in 2 burner models. And they do store away easy. Honestly, I don't think I would tear apart my granite counter tops just to add 1 more burner.
I love my spare burner! If I want to fry something, I can set it up on our portable table and plug into the external outlet. No greasy smells inside! On our trip to Arkansas last winter, I simmered a pot roast outside. Other campers were sauntering by to ask when dinner would be ready.

I also carry an electric fry pan.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post

I love my spare burner! If I want to fry something, I can set it up on our portable table and plug into the external outlet. No greasy smells inside! On our trip to Arkansas last winter, I simmered a pot roast outside. Other campers were sauntering by to ask when dinner would be ready.

I also carry an electric fry pan.
I would not have even asked you when it was ready. I would have just sat down and started banging my fork on your picnic table! Lol
Old 06-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
I would not have even asked you when it was ready. I would have just sat down and started banging my fork on your picnic table! Lol
You are welcome at my picnic table ANYTIME!

I hope KellyLipp doesn't let a little thing like two burners keep them from that fabulous Travel Supreme!

Old 06-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #9

Right?

Almost seems like a duh. But one gets hung up where one gets hung up!

Kelly
Old 06-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Kelly,

We had a three burner Atwood stove-top for years that was the biggest POS ever. The burners were all the same size and the BTU output was pathetic. We never used all three burners at one time anyway.

Sooooo, I removed the 3 burner and bought a Princess Gourmet 2 Burner Stove-top that had one very large burner and one medium size burner.

That stove-top works so much better than the 2 burner Atwood that we will never go back. If anything, at some point way down the road we may switch over to an Induction Cook-top.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atwood Stove-Top-1.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	41091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaward Princess Gourmet Stove-Top-3.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	41092  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seaward Princess Gourmet Stove-Top-4.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	41093  
Old 06-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #11

Weighing in with my tuppence worth: we bought a True Induction 2-"burner" portable unit last fall and have not used the gas stove since. The portable sits on the closed stove lid when parked, but could also be used outdoors. It stows easily in a cupboard for traveling.

Bonuses: much less heat in the rig, extremely quick to heat up pans and to stop cooking immediately, flat surface cleans up super easily. I would not go back. Liked it so much we installed a 4-burner in the S&B.

We are getting a new rig next week and may think about actually installing an induction cooktop there. No granite, though, so I bow to more knowledgeable folks in that department.

Cheers and best of luck!

Sue
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #12

When the DW and I saw DR4Film's post we thought one of us had done the post. We have done the exact same thing, and have one of the small induction cookers for the extra burner if we need it. You can't fit three pots very well on the small 3 burner stoves anyway, it is too crowded. Just get an portable induction cooker, or extra burner.

jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel