Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #1

Knee replacement rehab?

Well the wife got the news today that her knee is going to be replaced the first part of November. It looks like our trip south in the MH for the winter is going to be on hold. Anybody have this done and have any words of wisdom on rehab or anything in general? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here's a recent thread that should answer some of your concerns. I've had both knees replaced and I posted there. Good luck.

Knee replacement-when could you travel?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #3

My boss was told he needed knee replacement. He heard of an experimental procedure where they do a little liposuction and separate your own stem cells out and inject them in your knee to rebuild cartilage. Google stem cell knee replacement and all kinds of info will pop up. It worked for him.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #4

Some more info here. He came back to work just this week.

Brian Williams Taking Leave Of Absence For Knee Replacement Surgery - TVNewser
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do what the doctors tell you to do and the physical therapist tell you to do. No more, no less. The PT is designed to help you. If you try to do to much in the hopes that you will recover sooner you are more likely to hurt yourself further.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 on Wayne's advice. Not my own experience, but my wife has had both knees replaced. She recovered smoothly in general. A slight difficulty on the first one about 4 weeks out precisely because she tried to push the exercises and recovery too fast. Got past that and all went smoothly. The second one was smooth as silk with no difficulty, because she followed the protocol to a T. Also had an Aunt years ago who did NOT follow PT advice after replacement-- said the exercises were "..too hard.." and didn't bother after a short while. Walked with a limp the rest of her life.

Good Luck!!
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
As a former CPTA, Advice is to do water exercise designed to strengthen the knees first before surgery, and then proceed as they instruct afterward. The water is because it isn't as hard on the joint. The exercise is because she will recover much, much quicker if she is in stronger better condition around her knee before the surgery.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
have had both knees replaced about 1 1/2 yrs apart ( about 10 years ago ) first knee I did what they said P T for only 2 weeks tho, got ride of crutches, cane ect, with in 3 weeks was doing most everything I wanted, 2nd knee went even better, with in 2 weeks I was climbing ladders, driving all heavy equ, backhoes ect.... went to two P T treatments was all, no need to put off your travels if the doc says ok go....................enjoy..........
Old 09-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Have you thought about having your surgery down south. The best orthopedic surgeon in the country has a clinic in Pensacola Florida. Dr. William Andrew's clinic does most of the knee and shoulder surgery on major sports figures in the US and every year has patients from around the world come to Pensacola. They can do the rehab or help you find another PT if you cant hang around Pensacola. Have the PT done by his clinic (threes weeks of several times a day and you will be dancing when you leave) Maybe not dancing but much further along than most folks. He is the best!!!!! Google Dr. William Andrews
Old 09-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
just a note, my replacement was done by Dr Auld in Seattle, he is the head orthopedic surgeon for the Seahawks, Huskies, Mariners, and most of the sports teams on the west coast.............
Old 09-09-2013, 07:53 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
As a former CPTA, Advice is to do water exercise designed to strengthen the knees first before surgery, and then proceed as they instruct afterward. The water is because it isn't as hard on the joint. The exercise is because she will recover much, much quicker if she is in stronger better condition around her knee before the surgery.
Great advice! Wife did both knees and was much better prepared the second time, recovery was much faster and easier when in better condition.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #12

Smile Be in Good Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Wife had both of hers done at the same surgical session last year. She is young (3 score +????) and did a lot of water aerobics before her surgery. She DID NOT put off the surgery until it became "too much to take anymore" as some we know have done. She was up on the first day, went to 8 weeks of PT when they told her there was nothing more they could do for her.
Listen to the pros...
jvanfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I had both of my knees replaced in 2005 within 3 months of each other. Follow MartySQ's advice. That is what I did and my recovery was fast. The first one took me longer (2 months) because I was "scared" I would rip out something but the second was really quick. PT was over in less than a month although I continued to do exercises at home for a while on my own. The key was getting stronger before the first surgery. Mine were done at the Houston Clinic by an ortho doctor who works on Auburn football players so I had full confidence in him and followed his instructions to a T. He stressed exercise before the surgery. The real problem with knee replacements is that people don't work hard at PT - the scar tissue forms fast and from what I observed, those that wouldn't bend that knee were there for months, some would never get the range back. So keep it in mind that PT is work but oh so worth it.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #14

I had both knees replaced while full time in our fifth wheel. Doing the exercises were no problem. Our bed is the right height to get in and out easily. It was six weeks on crutches and then to a cane for a while for balance. I did join a gym, after the 6 week check-up and started using the recumbent bike and treadmill. After that I moved up to more strength machines, but without very much weight. Physio is the key. Every day, and she will not get the scar tissue building up, which prohibits regular movement
I'm happy to report that both knees are wonderful and we are both enjoying life. Wish her good luck!

montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement