Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 11:03 PM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
The trick is the creep up on the low bridges. . .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2016, 11:20 PM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's those two laner tunnels with a curved roof that turns my knuckles white. I sure don't like oncomming company when I'm in one.

FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO Continen View Post
The trick is the creep up on the low bridges. . .

Old 08-14-2016, 09:06 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
I have been nervous going under overpasses that look low, but are not marked with clearances.

Is there a national law that overpasses under a certain height have to be marked with the feet clearance
There is a convention to mark anything less than 13'6" however in today's era of cutbacks I become nervous and worry about signs that have fallen down and not yet replaced or the lag time for a new sign if the road was not milled prior to an overlay.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
There is a convention to mark anything less than 13'6" however in today's era of cutbacks I become nervous and worry about signs that have fallen down and not yet replaced or the lag time for a new sign if the road was not milled prior to an overlay.
I believe it's dot requirement to mark anything under 14' but I agree budgets, and stupidity, might keep it from always happening.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #34

Looks like a rental unit. Hope he bought the insurance !!!!

Like others my height is taped in front of me on the dash. That picture shows you your worst nightmare
Trapperbob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunGus View Post
That looks soooo close! I bet he would have made it if he was going faster!
Good one!
Save
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:55 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
In my previous coach, I had small plastic signs engraved with things like, height, width, weight....glued on the side of the instrument cluster. You pick the sign size , color, font, location, and they don't have to look bad.
Excellent idea! I'll be doing that before my next trip.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
In my previous coach, I had small plastic signs engraved with things like, height, width, weight....glued on the side of the instrument cluster.

If the wife or one of the kids was driving the numbers are right in front of them....no guess work. See a road sign, look at the numbers on the dash and know for sure.

Need to do that with this new coach. You pick the sign size , color, font, location, and they don't have to look bad.
Someone should have told that driver; "here''s your sign".

Height is not the total answer to an underpass. If the road has a significant dip under the RR, or cross street, the distance between your axles makes a significant difference in overall clearance.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:14 PM   #38

I forgot to add something in my reply.
About 10-12 years ago we were parked in Thermopolis, WY., sightseeing and bathing in the hot springs.
Just on the North edge of town is a state park, with a RR underpass that cannot be bypassed if you are entering the park.
A pickup and 5er turned onto that street, spotted the bridge, sat there for several minutes, then started forward until he (must have) heard the air conditioner hit.
He backed up a bit, then sped forward_through the underpass. He never looked back. His air conditioner was pushed back on the 5er roof enough to see the hole in the roof where the unit used to be bolted down.
He must have been determined to take his family to that park.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:15 PM   #39

So....Stupid question here. What is the best way to get a conservative measurement of the height of your RV? I know there is reference in the book and all but what about measuring it manually accurately....for peace of mind. Any tricks to this?

2013 FLEETWOOD EXCURSION 33A

Excursion 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:05 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
I have been nervous going under overpasses that look low, but are not marked with clearances.

Is there a national law that overpasses under a certain height have to be marked with the feet clearance
I do not see a height in this example, but there is a yellow warning light - I assume it is flashing.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:20 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
I carry one of those long fiberglass flexible tent poles that folds up. I have it marked with the height the tallest point of my 5th wheel plus a couple of inches so I can physically measure clearance of questionable underpasses. I also have a Garmin 760 RV GPS but I always try to use my eyes and brain to tell me if something's too low to try and go under.

But look, it wasn't his fault.

He was in the back making a sandwich with the cruise control on and didn't see it coming.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 04:35 AM   #42

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excursion 33 View Post
So....Stupid question here. What is the best way to get a conservative measurement of the height of your RV? I know there is reference in the book and all but what about measuring it manually accurately....for peace of mind. Any tricks to this?
I ran a 1x3 on a level from the highest point on the roof out to the side then dropped a tape measure. Use a helper