Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #29

Foretravel Owners Club
Rarely use campgrounds but have stayed two different trips at the KOA at Belvedere, SD and liked both times, easy in/out with toad, level, easy hookups, good 50 Amp etc and friendly owners. Great stop for dump, refill and recharge, will stay next trip that way on I-90 when going to Custer State Park & west to Wyo, Mont etc. Other KOA's have been less. The KOA on the Blue Ridge Parkway near
Dave M

Genset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
My big problem with KOA is not the advertised nightly price. It is the ADD ONS that you don't find out until you check in...ie daily pet fee, activity fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wb2IVU View Post
At one campground we paid a BED TAX... Wait, I brought my own bed... why am I paying a TAX?!?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Steve View Post
After driving up to about a half a dozen KOA's I no longer bother. Found every one to be way overpriced with small sites and lots of additional junk fees to be added on.
That has been my experiance also!
Apperenly KOA stands for Keep On Adding!
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 10-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
Agree with AFCHAP. They are our last resort and we will always look for something other than a KOA. To us, no matter where they are and what condition they are in, they are always over priced. That said, when we visit Nashville,we stay at the KOA because it is the best option for tree avoidance but still way over priced.
Nashville KOA:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5028.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	365.3 KB
ID:	77116   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4748.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	484.0 KB
ID:	77117  

Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As mentioned above, you get for what you pay. That being said, on our near yearly trips to visit inlaws and outlaws in south Texas, where available we prefer to use KOAs for the overnight stops while in route. Our favorite are the ones at Kerrville, TX and Holbrook AZ. To avoid the above mentioned surprises, I usually make reservations, quite often as little as the day before and clarify what I want to include full service, pull thru spot with 50 Amp service and wifi service if available and if I need it for the evening. Again that eliminates surprises.When I reach my destinations I will generally opt for other than KOA to reduce the expense as we are generally out visiting and not just sitting around camp.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #33

Some Good Ones, but...

we generally avoid KOA's for all the reasons stated above. However, we have found some good ones. We do use their rewards card. We always "like to go a different way" but frequently find ourselves in these locales at day's end.

These KOA's have helpful staff people without heavy traffic or rr tracks nearby. Most owners live on site;

Tucson, AZ - huge place, very neat, 2 pools, close to card lock fuel stop
San Diego, CA - residential area, very helpful with Mexico information
Goodland, CO - kind of rustic in non-scenic arid area, very helpful owners
Lyman, WY - open meadow grassy camping, some huge sites
Las Cruces, NM - high on a hilltop overlooking city, summer pool
Las Vegas, NM - hill side cg, plenty of parking help, pinyon pine country, blocked from highway and rr by hill, on site breakfast & dinner if you wish
also Richland, UT and Hardin, MT were quiet yet handy.

Thanks for reminding me of some good trips!
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
we loved it too......we got the 10 acre campsite and all to ourselves:
Wait just a minute,,,that was MY site!
CoreyinWP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
I'll agree that some of them are out of date and need upgrading, however there are ones that have done outstanding jobs of upgrading (definitely not your father's KOA!). The first picture is at Billings MT KOA and the second is at Watkins Glen NY KOA, no highways or train tracks near these:
You failed to mention that the Deluxe site in the picture was $85/night the last time we were there. If you stay in a standard site at Billings KOA, you can't put out your awning.

We'll stay at a KOA if we have the grandkids (@ $3 EACH PER NIGHT).
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
$10/night... park I often stay at, 35/night for 30 amp, 40 for a 50 amp pull through, two KOA's nearby 80night for that 50 amp pull through.

And for me it's worse since I have a membership and can park for 2 weeks at a time at that same park for 45/month...

In short, I get like 200 days camping there for what a week costs at the nearby KOA.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #37

have stayed in several excellent KOA's especially the one in Woodstock New Hampshire. Like all things in life you get what you pay for
Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
You failed to mention that the Deluxe site in the picture was $85/night the last time we were there. If you stay in a standard site at Billings KOA, you can't put out your awning.

We'll stay at a KOA if we have the grandkids (@ $3 EACH PER NIGHT).
You bet it's a luxury site (and we had the granddaughter with us), but the point is, the KOA's of the 1950's did not have luxury sites. Some of the KOA's today do have those available for those who want them and can afford them. In my experience the luxury sites at KOA's are the hardest to get, they have to be reserved well ahead of time. If I want a cheap overnight, I'll stay at WalMart or a cheap campground and I do that at times also.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
Wait just a minute,,,that was MY site!
Fantastic!!!! I'm sure that you enjoyed it as much as we did. Question; I picked up a bunch of rocks around there and built a rock surround around the fire ring and I wonder if it's still there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3638.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	77121  
Old 10-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #40
doc

Appalachian Campers
We will stay home before we ever spend more money with the KOA on Big Cove Rd in Cherokee, NC. Long story but bottom line is we reserved a 'premium' site. When we arrived the kid who barely spoke English said the site was reserved. I tried to tell him it was reserved for us but he would not hear of that. We ended up in a low lying area toward the rear of the park with standing water when it began raining. The site we reserved remained empty the entire week end. Could not get a refund so we ended up staying in a site that was terrible. Never again!
A second 'never again' was in Missoula. Long day and we were tired. Checked in and the price they started at increased considerably from their quoted price. When I questioned this, they said it was for pool use and something else (I forget what) I told them I did not need or want either. Then they told me they charge that to all the guests whether they use it or not. Not other place to stay that late so I paid. Then they put us on the back row next to a kennel and constantly barking dogs. Only an overnite, but that was enough!

Contrarily, Mt Pleasant SC KOA was great, nice staff and large sites. As they say, it guess it takes all kinds.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDZIT View Post
we generally avoid KOA's for all the reasons stated above. However, we have found some good ones. We do use their rewards card. We always "like to go a different way" but frequently find ourselves in these locales at day's end.

These KOA's have helpful staff people without heavy traffic or rr tracks nearby. Most owners live on site;

Tucson, AZ - huge place, very neat, 2 pools, close to card lock fuel stop
San Diego, CA - residential area, very helpful with Mexico information
Goodland, CO - kind of rustic in non-scenic arid area, very helpful owners
Lyman, WY - open meadow grassy camping, some huge sites
Las Cruces, NM - high on a hilltop overlooking city, summer pool
Las Vegas, NM - hill side cg, plenty of parking help, pinyon pine country, blocked from highway and rr by hill, on site breakfast & dinner if you wish
also Richland, UT and Hardin, MT were quiet yet handy.

Thanks for reminding me of some good trips!
I'll have to add some to that list:

Salina, KS - nice shady spots with concrete pads
Mesa Verde, CO-interesting spots on plateau's with great views
Branson, MO-nice and far away from the crowd and noise
Oakdale, WI- got the luxury site with brick patio, grill, furniture, etc
Barrie, Ontario, CA-nice secluded sites with rock walls and landscaping
Cherokee, NC-spacious sites, concrete pad & patio, fire ring, scenic,
Old 10-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wb2IVU View Post
At one campground we paid a BED TAX... Wait, I brought my own bed... why am I paying a TAX?!?!?!
That was probably a local tax by the county/state/?. In many locales it is known as a "Motel" tax. I have run into that in a couple of places where there is a state sales tax and a local motel tax added to the nightly rate.

Tags
campground