Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #43

We've travelled back and forth across the country and we found some to be good, others not so much. No different than any other national brand of hotel or restaurant.

We did attempt to stay at the KOA in Cherokee,NC and our experience was similar to the one above.

We'd add the KOA in Flagstaff, AZ as one we enjoyed.

datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 12:57 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
"Good" or "Nice" have a lot of variations in definitions...

that old saying "One man's trash, is another man's treasure" I guess !

so it's not a matter of getting what you paid for, it's a matter of what your expectations are....
and mine are KOA's are expected to be poor or at least not as good as MANY other alternatives...
last $21 site I stayed in (not KOA)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	District 6-20141005-00463.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	77132  

Old 10-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wva3185 View Post
That was probably a local tax by the county/state/?. In many locales it is known as a "Motel" tax. I have run into that in a couple of places where there is a state sales tax and a local motel tax added to the nightly rate.
That is true. The local "hotel/motel tax" probably included RV parks and more than likely even included "bed and breakfasts" and boarding houses. Anything to generate more revenue for the city/county, etc.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #46

I hope never to use KOA again 2times 2different and 2bad Never again cheat , lie , robbers..last time We had no dump and no shower house hot water snow made us stop for the night I asked about the hot water and was told lots of hot water that was bull and no refunds so We had to stay never again ..Bushman ..
Old 10-28-2014, 06:32 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
We use KOAs when we can while traveling. They are usually fairly consistent, well marked and close to the highway. We only use them when we'll be in one spot for more than a couple of days. They are a few dollars more, but you get what you pay for.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:03 AM   #48

Damon Owners Club
Charging for WiFI, is like charging for the use of the dog run/playground. One would think WiFi and the dog park are amenity's for your valued guests, not an excuse for add on additional charges.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
The only wifi charge I might consider justified is when a park goes out of their way to provide really fast wifi throughout their facility. Even then, we've come to expect free wifi almost everywhere we go these days.

What's surprising to me about this thread is the great variance in opinions about KOA in general. Some people see it as their "go-to" campground, and others would rather spend then night at Walmart than go to a KOA.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:35 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
What's surprising to me about this thread is the great variance in opinions about KOA in general. Some people see it as their "go-to" campground, and others would rather spend then night at Walmart than go to a KOA.
Think of your favorite restaurant franchise. They are all managed by different people, so the service in one place may pale in comparison to a different one. Their locations differ too, so some may be in what you consider to be an excellent location , while others maybe not.

But if they are all part of the same franchise, you can expect a similar menu, and usually they all participate in the same national sales and advertising campaigns.

The KOA Logo for me means that I can expect some basic minimum amenities and an assumed camp-like decorum. They tend to be family oriented, allow pets, are intended more for campers than full-timers, and offer sites ranging from tent to 50 amp full hookups. Many of them have playgrounds or other kid-friendly areas, small fishing ponds, bike or hiking paths, and a small camp shop where you can buy a loaf of bread or a replacement sewer hose. Other than that, I'd be reading reviews and looking on Google maps to get a feel for what each individual KOA is like.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Think of your favorite restaurant franchise. They are all managed by different people, so the service in one place may pale in comparison to a different one. Their locations differ too, so some may be in what you consider to be an excellent location , while others maybe not.

But if they are all part of the same franchise, you can expect a similar menu, and usually they all participate in the same national sales and advertising campaigns.

The KOA Logo for me means that I can expect some basic minimum amenities and an assumed camp-like decorum. They tend to be family oriented, allow pets, are intended more for campers than full-timers, and offer sites ranging from tent to 50 amp full hookups. Many of them have playgrounds or other kid-friendly areas, small fishing ponds, bike or hiking paths, and a small camp shop where you can buy a loaf of bread or a replacement sewer hose. Other than that, I'd be reading reviews and looking on Google maps to get a feel for what each individual KOA is like.
I agree. KOA is kind of like Holiday Inn. It's a pretty well known commodity so you're pretty well assured at least of basic services, maintenance, facilities, security, etc.

I've gotten sucked into stopping at an park by an RV Park sign by the highway (non-KOA), pulled in and with no other nearby options, got hooked into an absolutely terrible park and experience.

One in NE Colorado (non-KOA) had no one at the office (the office wasn't even serviceable, it was abandoned), put your money in an envelope and pick a site. Water hook up wouldn't work, had to change sites. No lighting whatsoever. No upkeep or maintenance. Part of the park was occupied by small camping trailers with people living in them (some did not even have vehicles). Dogs running around. People coming and going all night long. Etc., etc.

Usually I'm pretty careful in checking out a park on Google Earth, reviews, Good Sam ratings, advance reservations, etc. but that time was spur of the moment so I got what I paid for. At a minimum I can count on KOA for a nice, safe place where I can overnight with a sewer hookup and at a maximum I can find one that borders on being a destination luxury park if that's what I want. I don't use them all of the time, but when it suits my needs I use them.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #52

Unhappy

X3 on what AFChap said. We have stayed in 2 KOA's in 8 1/2 years of fulltiming. They are our LAST resort, poorly maintained, tight roads/turns and the extra fees are a turnoff. In 2011 we stayed in one in VA, out of necessity, and they wanted $3 for the gate code. If we wanted to go out we had to pay to get back in, ridiculous.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #53

KOA campgrounds…...

I never slam ANY campground! I review EVERY potential CG and choose good ones. I know my rate beforehand, and view it in google earth. Hey, they are almost all independantly owned; Mom&Pop Shops.
If ya dont pre-review, dont complain about any CG.
I don't get any surprises!
And I like the KOAs I have stayed at.
FWIW, we stay at many KOAs as we move coast to coast. And the club points are a nifty $ reward; some nights are FREE!!!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:14 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Seriously? They CHARGED you for the gate code? That's completely absurd! I can't imagine how they could keep a straight face when telling you that!

That's not a KOA policy--that's just plain greediness. Did you find a bill on your credit card for the air that you "rented" while you were there too? Oye.. so sorry for your bad experience.

I can see how that would sour your opinion of that place. I hope you provided an accurate review on rvparkreviews.com so others don't experience that kind of abuse too!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #55

KOA campgrounds…...

I have had gate key fees often. But it is just a ransom until you turn it back in.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #56
IC2

We, as well as others have found that KOA's are sometimes a bit more expensive in an area but not exorbitantly so. Along the Coast of Maine you can pay upwards of $100 to be stacked like cord wood or you can go a few more miles and not be on the beach (yawn!!), have LL Bean and other Freeport shopping for those that do that kind of thing and have a nice large treed site for about 40 bucks. There is also a decent private CG near that KOA, but if you have a unit over 30' - not nearly enough room. We have stayed in KOA's all over the East and have only once been unhappy(loud) - the rest of the CGs have been just fine. Maybe my expectations aren't as high as others, but what we look for is peace and quiet, enough room to easily park our 5er and truck, extend all of the slides as well as the awning plus have a fire ring and a place to sit and 'contemplate'. Extra fees - never to date been charged anything beyond what I agreed on when I made the reservation, and usually on line.

Heck - talk about extra fees? Just stay a night or two in a semi fancy hotel and get hit for a safe, door card and parking fee. a bed tax or two along with a tip for that character (bell person to be PC) that grabbed your overnight bag when you could just as easily walked to the elevator and down a hall the same way you entered the building. Then there's that mini bar....

Tags
campground