Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #71

KOA campgrounds…...

I never need to slam ANY campground!
I review EVERY potential CG and ONLY choose good ones.
There are GOOD and BAD KOAs.
And I stay at a LOT of GOOD KOA's all across America.
I know my KOA rate BEFOREHAND and view the place in google earth.

Some just go someplace and complain later.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I never need to slam ANY campground!
I review EVERY potential CG and ONLY choose good ones.
There are GOOD and BAD KOAs.
And I stay at a LOT of GOOD KOA's all across America.
I know my KOA rate BEFOREHAND and view the place in google earth.

Some just go someplace and complain later.
Agreed!

Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #73

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al, Michigan View Post
We only would use KOA if there was no other choice at that time. Most are way too expensive.

Al, Michigan.

The day 46 bucks is too expensive when we are tired and hungry and sick of being on the road.. Just shoot me!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:46 AM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Some KOAs are very nice. The Watkins Glen / Corning KOA in update New York immediately comes to mind. They are very customer-centric, with some loops designed for family weekend camping, and others designed for big rigs.

Some KOAs are not so nice. The Fort Collins / Lakeside KOA in north of Denver immediately comes to mind, with the worst customer service we've ever experienced -- anywhere.

We always include KOA when we shop around for campground reservations. But, we pay close attention to online reviews, mostly reparkreviews.com, google.com, tripadvisor.com, and yelp.com. For example Lakeside KOA is a nice facility, but it has lots of bad reviews.

After narrowing down choices to our short list, we take a look at each with Google Maps, including Street View. This helps picture the neighborhood around the campground. Often, they are in rustic rural settings. Sometimes, they are in the midst of an industrial area or next to railroad tracks.
drczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #75

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drczap View Post
Some KOAs are very nice. The Watkins Glen / Corning KOA in update New York immediately comes to mind. They are very customer-centric, with some loops designed for family weekend camping, and others designed for big rigs.
+1 on Watkins Glen. I read the reviews and people complained about the train noise. I waited the whole weekend for a train to go by and finally the night before we left I got to watch one rumble by.

I guess some people are only happy when they're miserable.

The DW likes KOAs for the consistency. I like an adventure every once in a while and will book a Ma and Pop campground. I have to admit that we've been less disappointed in KOAs than M&P places.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #76

We've found some good ones and some that were just okay. Didn't notice their pricing was excessive.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #77
IC2

I do have a somewhat positive view of KOA since they used our old 5er and truck for one of the lead in shots for one of their 'education' videos:

Old 02-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #78

As newbies we're sorting out what memberships we think we need and the comments here are steering me away from KOA.

As a brand I was aware of even before an interest in RVing, I expect a certain level of consistency. The same as I might for any other nationwide brand. A Big Mac is always a Big Mac after all, despite locations being operated by different owners.

I'll accept that some are better than others, but if I managed the KOA brand, I'd make quick work a righting or nixing any campgrounds that for any reason could degrade the brand. With the variation in responses here and the comparatively low ratings I seem to find all too often, it doesn't appear that that protection of the brand is as strong as is necessary to ensure a consistently acceptable base standard.

It's too bad because I was really looking forward to pulling into some of the spots I'd only ever driven by.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #79

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
KOA... Keep On Adding (I will come back to that)

In some Science Fiction books there is a concept of a traveler's club.
In these stories they have invented the Trans-mat, an instant transport device you step on it on one planet and step off half way across the universe.

The clubs are all identical, same blue print, same decor, same music, same temp, same drinks at the same price at the bar and bartenders chosen to be as alike as possible, same menu from the kitchen.. The idea is to make the traveler comfortable with a place that is the same, no matter where he is.

KOA's do not quite get there, but they come close They offer very much the same things, and are usually of consistant quality, though of course the level of consistency of the fictional clubs is not practical KOAs do a fairly good job..

The Keep On Adding
So much for a basic site,, OH, you have an air conditoner (or two) Add on some more,, SLide outs,, Likewise,, More than 2 bodies,, Pets,, Want Cable TV,, Wi-FI, and so on.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:38 AM   #80

Too high priced for what you get. Passport America has great discounts.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Anthony - don't write off KOAs completely. The best approach is to look up the CG on rvparkreviews.com and see what the reviews say. Just be aware that if there are just a couple of glowingly positive reviews, it's probably the owners that posted them

We've been to good and bad KOAs and mom&pop CGs. As far as price goes, KOAs are usually a little higher than a private CG in the same area. I get a kick out of the people who drive their million dollar motor home into a KOA and complain about the price of a night's stay.

I see you and Lisa are catching up on your reading...
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:37 AM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Anthony,

I agree with the above - you'll have to make up your own mind about KOA's. We've been to many and generally enjoy them. However, it also depends upon time of year. We have visited the Petoskey, MI KOA twice. Once there were only a few campers and we thoroughly enjoyed the stay. The second time was over the 4th of July weekend and we had a somewhat different impression, as it seemed crowded with small campsites. So there's variation from park to park and even within one park depending upon when you visit.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #83

True. However, a KOA is more likely to be right on our route rather than having to drive many miles just to save a few bucks. We tend to use KOA's for the convenience and sameness. We only had one really bad KOA experience in many years, and that was due to another camper rather than the campground. I joined Passport America two years back; intending to use the service during a trip to California, but there wasn't anything near our route. Maybe this is due to our travel pattern, and PA is suited to more of a wandering lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Helen pns View Post
... Passport America has great discounts.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:56 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
Anthony - don't write off KOAs completely. The best approach is to look up the CG on rvparkreviews.com and see what the reviews say. Just be aware that if there are just a couple of glowingly positive reviews, it's probably the owners that posted them

We've been to good and bad KOAs and mom&pop CGs. As far as price goes, KOAs are usually a little higher than a private CG in the same area. I get a kick out of the people who drive their million dollar motor home into a KOA and complain about the price of a night's stay.

I see you and Lisa are catching up on your reading...
I agree. I've stayed at some independent campgrounds that I didn't get to check out before hand that were absolutely dangerous.

The KOA sites that I have stayed in range from luxurious to average but always delivered a product that was safe and dependable.

As for add-ons, I've never encountered a KOA that had add-ons for anything other than maybe an extra $1 per day for the granddaughter.

We did stay at the Barrie, ON KOA and it was very, very nice, no add-ons and a decent price.

We also stayed at the Mine Mill 598 RV Park in Sudbury, ON and it was below average. However the union had bought it as an investment and are working very hard at making it into a very nice park.

Below is a picture of our site at the Barrie, ON KOA:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5389.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	606.6 KB
ID:	86812  

Tags
campground