Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyinWP View Post
My big problem with KOA is not the advertised nightly price. It is the ADD ONS that you don't find out until you check in...ie daily pet fee, activity fee. Be upfront and tell me what it costs and then I will make my decision.
No KOA "add-ons" here. We sometimes use them while on the road and maybe for a couple of days to rest up but haven't used them as a destination. I do my reservations online so I know the cost beforehand. I have never had an "add-on" at a KOA in all my stays for the last seven years.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Usually when we stay at KOA's I make the reservation through their web site. The price quoted there includes all fees and extras except maybe wifi overage. When we check in they just say "keep it on the same credit card?" and there are no additional charges.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #17

We use KOAs when we can while traveling. They are usually fairly consistent, well marked and close to the highway. We only use them when we'll be in one spot for more than a couple of days. They are a few dollars more, but you get what you pay for.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #18

I also do online reservations. We had add ons at both Hill City KOA and most recently at Omaha Neb KOA. The fees were not quoted on the website. Also have noted that when you book the site online,,,it sometimes will not be specific,,,,30/50 amp site. Have noticed this out west (badlands for example)
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:13 AM   #19

Quote:
I also do online reservations. We had add ons at both Hill City KOA and most recently at Omaha Neb KOA. The fees were not quoted on the website. Also have noted that when you book the site online,,,it sometimes will not be specific,,,,30/50 amp site. Have noticed this out west (badlands for example)
I haven't done the Hill City KOA (we stayed at Rafter J Bar Ranch) or the Badlands KOA (we did Cedar Pass CG NP) but did do the Omaha KOA for one night 4-5 years ago. Didn't have an add-on at Omaha but things may have changed since I was there.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:17 AM   #20

we moved over to Rafter J,,,,loved it there.
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
At one campground we paid a BED TAX... Wait, I brought my own bed... why am I paying a TAX?!?!?!
Wb2IVU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #22

Quote:
we moved over to Rafter J,,,,loved it there.
we loved it too......we got the 10 acre campsite and all to ourselves:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3595.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	77113  
Old 10-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
Howdy bobguigley !. First, No You Are Not Wrong.
DW & I pretty much concur with You.

KOA's are some good, & some bad.

Since we are on our second half of our "Century" we only use KOA's & Jellystone Park when we have the Grandkids, 2, 4, & 9 years old. We shop them on line and look at; activities, facilities, site spacing and reviews. That said we have not been disappointed Yet. Now we have only stayed at 2 KOA's & 1 Jellystone. Kids had a ball!
My best advise is' DON'T STAY ANY WHERE IF YOU HAVE A BAD FEELING", prior to checking in. We only passed on 2 since we started and were glad we did as the next campground turned out to be very nice. BTW both were Privately Owned.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
We avoid them unless there is absolutely no other choice. We have found them to be over priced and under maintained (over all, but especially in tree trimming) in addition to having tight sites and tight "streets". They were likely the Cadillac of the campgrounds in the 50's, but their 50's layout and model doesn't work for today's rv'ers like it worked for 50's campers. The " campground" we stay in is almost never our destination ...it is simply a place to park the rig where we want comfortable parking and reliable utilities at a reasonable price. RVing is a way of life/travel for us ...it is not something we just run out and do for the weekend.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #25

Thumbs down KOA?.... No way!

After driving up to about a half a dozen KOA's I no longer bother. Found every one to be way overpriced with small sites and lots of additional junk fees to be added on. Inevitably they were on a busy highway with active railroad tracks adjacent.

They do seem to have more activities and amenities aimed at entertaining children than some but for us that is just another reason to avoid them. Paying too much to stay with lots of kids in a tight RV park just does not work for us.
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #26

Agree with AFCHAP. They are our last resort and we will always look for something other than a KOA. To us, no matter where they are and what condition they are in, they are always over priced. That said, when we visit Nashville,we stay at the KOA because it is the best option for tree avoidance but still way over priced.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
We avoid them unless there is absolutely no other choice. We have found them to be over priced and under maintained (over all, but especially in tree trimming) in addition to having tight sites and tight "streets". They were likely the Cadillac of the campgrounds in the 50's, but their 50's layout and model doesn't work for today's rv'ers like it worked for 50's campers. The " campground" we stay in is almost never our destination ...it is simply a place to park the rig where we want comfortable parking and reliable utilities at a reasonable price. RVing is a way of life/travel for us ...it is not something we just run out and do for the weekend.
I'll agree that some of them are out of date and need upgrading, however there are ones that have done outstanding jobs of upgrading (definitely not your father's KOA!). The first picture is at Billings MT KOA and the second is at Watkins Glen NY KOA, no highways or train tracks near these:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3446.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	77114   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5523.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	573.3 KB
ID:	77115  

Old 10-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobguigley View Post
…..my impression is that they are overpriced by about $10/nite, thus we use them as a last resort….am I wrong??...
My impression exactly...some times more than $10 too high...last resort for us too.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground