Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
We're new. We're just finishing our first year of MH ownership. 6,000 miles, 46 nights. It's not a driveway trophy.

We went back to the KOA where we started our season in April. We didn't have a toad then. But last night they informed us there was a $5.00 per day fee for the "extra car". Why? We had a pull through site. No extra space being occupied that we hadn't already paid for.

KOA PAY ATTENTION--- I'm starting a movement DEMANDING that ALL extra fees be posted IN ADVANCE of making a reservation. I know others will cite "Keep On Adding" - but I like the assurance of a brand. Even sneaky airlines are honest enough to pillage your wallet up front when booking!

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley travels. '15 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK.
Did you have a dolly? That's what they possibly charged extra for.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2015, 06:30 PM   #30
WDW

We only had the MH and toad. When we pulled in the toad was detached from a previous stop. DW. was driving. The answer as to where - Erie, PA. Nice place but at $65. For a patio site adding $5.00 was cheesy IMHO.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While KOA's are a bit more pricey I find them conveniently located and pretty much straight forward in what to expect. I haven't yet been over charged or had extra fees added. I have a KOA, GS and PA card but rather than look for one club's campgrounds I look in the area that I expect to be at and find which campground has the best reviews and then I use the price as my second deciding factor. I look at it as dollar cost averaging for example in my last month long trip I found that I ended up just splitting the time at each of them equally and the average was under $30 / night. One thing I do like about KOA is the online reservation system. Recently I had a slide failure the day before I was to go to a KOA and by the the time road service finished it was too late to make the trip. I called and cancelled my reservation at 5:45 PM and was only charged $10.00. Had it been another park I would have had to pay for the full day rate. With all that said I have stayed in KOA's across the country including the #1 KOA in Billings Montana and found while check in is straight forward they all have some differences which might not appeal to all.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:48 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
We have stayed at more than a few KOA's.
The ones we have stayed at, for the most part have worked well for our travels.
I am always baffled by folks who cry over $5.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #33

KOA fees

I was going to renew my KOA Rewards card online, but was notified that my annual fee is waived now that I am a VIP member, and I have only been a member since 2012. And cancellation fees are also waived!
I mean....um...Woot!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
"KOA" and "resort" should never be in the same sentence.

Don
Not a truer word spoken We quit renewing at least 8 years ago. They should all be Passport America parks.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
We only had the MH and toad. When we pulled in the toad was detached from a previous stop. DW. was driving. The answer as to where - Erie, PA. Nice place but at $65. For a patio site adding $5.00 was cheesy IMHO.
I think you may have had a confused check-in clerk. I just went to that park's website https://koa.com/campgrounds/erie/reserve/ and made two entries with everything the same except one with motorhome only, and the other with motorhome towing. There was no difference in the daily rate.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #36

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We usually stay at KOA, some good like Carlsbad NM. and Branson MO., then those like Las Cruces NM. and Colorado Springs CO. that aren't so good. They are usually a little higher, but we like being able to make reservations on line. You don't really know what you're going to get till you get there, but what RV park isn't that way.
Bobbo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #37

We have been traveling to AZ. from MI. for 41 yrs. We bought our first MH a used Tioga class C in '76, back then we were traveling straight through, young and foolish, and in a big hurry, don't 'ya know! We then went to a Class A Pace Arrow, still on a time schedule and stayed anyplace that would allow us, gas stations, rest areas, truck stops. Then we retired, purchased a new Damon Challenger, and we decided KOA's made us feel safer and more secure. We read in our RV park soon after about a couple that were killed in a rest area, made us doubly sure from then on it has been KOA. Yep, I'm sure we have paid more but what is the piece of mind worth? My biggest complaint with KOA, is being told I couldn't stay because of my dog! As you can see by my signature, she is a Doberman. She is a wonderful, shy, happy, rambunctious 1 yr. old, that is always on a leash. They say it's about the liability, but she is always covered on my Home Owners policy, so I don't see/understand the problem.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:02 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
We have stayed at more than a few KOA's.
The ones we have stayed at, for the most part have worked well for our travels.
I am always baffled by folks who cry over $5.
I don't hear anyone "crying" over the $5 charge. I hear people complaining about being surprised by an additional charge that isn't customary. Even in government CG's, a toad isn't charged for. However the OP mentioned that the toad was "driven" into the CG. They may have written in the fine print that cars driven onto the premisis are considered to be "extra" and subject to an additional charge.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #39

KOA fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
They say it's about the liability, but she is always covered on my Home Owners policy, so I don't see/understand the problem.

It is the individual campground insurance coverage. They set the limits., and do the same to 1000s of campgrounds. Sorry about that.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York
OK, they must do like some state and maybe Federal parks. If the toad is attached it's free, if detached it's extra. We were told that at one place, as I remember it was the last KOA we stayed at some 5 years ago. In our RV'ing we've only stayed at a KOA 3 times in over 50 years of RV'ing. And I remember every one of them due to the high cost and poor facilities!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Stayed at 2KOA's a couple weeks ago. One was in Branson, MO, one in Waterloo, IA. Both were nice, clean and good locations. No worries, just sayin.
sask66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:11 PM   #42
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OP states that the tow vehicle was driven in. That's probably why they got charged for an extra $5. Even State Parks & probably National Parks do the same thing - it your tow is attached, it's free, if not, it's considered as an extra or additional vehicle.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote