Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2018, 08:17 PM   #1

KOA vs. WALMART

I was just looking at the San Antonio, TX KOA website and found this: (Sorry for the terrible screenshot)

Very smart of them to offer a bare-bones site with access to their amenities. Price was listed as $23 per night. I have stayed there in the past, and it is a nice location. Having the security and quiet, plus a nice hot shower, vs. all the downsides of Wally Docking makes it worthwhile for me.

I hope to see more of this in the future. A win-win for both the campers and the campground.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #2

Smart Marketing........
Old 03-22-2018, 08:35 PM   #3

I like KOA
Old 03-22-2018, 09:28 PM   #4

eh, but thing is this alternative still isn't what one might want.

we stop at wallyworld and truck stops and others for ONLY a 4-5 hr sleep stop and away we go again. We don't need bathhouse or laundry etc. but does show smart marketing for sure $0 still beats $23 for 4-5 hr sleep stop on our longer travels and fastest in and out for us.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
That is good marketing. For those that want the security of an actual campground vs a parking lot, it's reasonably priced. Although, I feel they could go lower since most of the RV-rs who'd use that type of site wouldn't even use the amenities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly View Post
... $0 still beats $23 for 4-5 hr sleep stop on our longer travels and fastest in and out for us.
I've never managed to get out of a WM on a quick over night for $0. It's $100 if not more. I always buy stuff at the store as a thank you for letting us stay.

Lori-
Old 03-22-2018, 09:41 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If after overnighters needs to be pull through. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
That is good marketing. For those that want the security of an actual campground vs a parking lot, it's reasonably priced. Although, I feel they could go lower since most of the RV-rs who'd use that type of site wouldn't even use the amenities

I've never managed to get out of a WM on a quick over night for $0. It's $100 if not more. I always buy stuff at the store as a thank you for letting us stay.

Lori-
I so hear ya on that one but if we do the 4-5 hr stop we rarely shop, well, maybe run inside for a nice rotisserie chicken to eat up before we leave and the funny thing is the KOA offering amenities doesn't have that meal ready for us
Old 03-23-2018, 08:30 AM   #8

I would never use any Walmart or parking lot at a big box store for any type of overnight camping. That is not the purpose of those establishments.

I am retired and on a fix income but really camping at a Walmart!
Old 03-23-2018, 08:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I would never use any Walmart or parking lot at a big box store for any type of overnight camping. That is not the purpose of those establishments.

WalMart and other big box stores don't mind so why should you? WalMart has made it clear that overnighting is an acceptable purpose for their establishments in some locations and I think they have a right to determine that.

If it's not for you that's fine. Others find WalMart's overnight invitation to be useful in some situations.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
If Wal-Mart doesn't mind... I'll sleep there as long as there are other RVers. The safety in numbers thing is real. I won't stop at roadside parks ever again. The one time I did one of my bumper caps and a marker light lens were pulled off... I heard it happen but couldn't get dressed in time to stop whoever did it. The next morning on my walk-around I found screws standing up under a tire. I checked all of them closely after that. I can only guess that I was being targeted and would have been robbed while changing a tire in the middle of nowhere... Be careful out there.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #11

23.00 and no hook ups? Hope you can run the genny all night in August.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post

Nobody is camping, we/they are using it as a rest-stop for a few hours of sleep. If WalMart (or whatever store) is OK with it... fine by me.

Zipping into a WalMart parking lot is way more convenient than finding a campground and checking in... for a few hours of sleep. WalMart is not the destination, it is simply a short stop on the way.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
I was just looking at the San Antonio, TX KOA website and found this: (Sorry for the terrible screenshot)

Very smart of them to offer a bare-bones site with access to their amenities. Price was listed as $23 per night. I have stayed there in the past, and it is a nice location. Having the security and quiet, plus a nice hot shower, vs. all the downsides of Wally Docking makes it worthwhile for me.

I hope to see more of this in the future. A win-win for both the campers and the campground.
I have never stayed at a KOA, they look nice, but the price is always what has kept me away. This $23 didn't sounds too bad ..... till i saw post #

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
23.00 and no hook ups? Hope you can run the genny all night in August.
So now it just became a rest area + shower? a rest area has a place to park+ has a bathroom and is $23 cheaper. It doesn't add up for me.

I would love to see some campgrounds do a 1 night special With electric hookup only for $18.
You are only going to use $.50-$1.50 worth of electric running a AC all night.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Old 03-23-2018, 10:25 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess Walmart or rest stops don't work for us. We like to stop around 4 o'clock for the night - disconnect the Jeep and ask at the office what is there to see in the local area. Then have a late supper and watch a little TV and in bed by 11:00. Getup in the moring about 7:00 have coffee and breakfast and nice long hot shower and be on the road by 9:00 AM. Life is to short for 5 hour rest stops and back on the road --- take time to smell the roses. Some of the most interesting sites we have seen is on layovers.
Closed Thread