Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #1

"lack-of" customer service

whatever happened to customer service after purchasing an item?
i've got a problem with my Even Brake controller for my tow car, called Roadmaster & wanted to talk to person that designed this system. got his name & ext. from someone on another web site who knows him personally.
called company, told them who I needed to talk to, put me on his ext. goes into his voicemail with problem & my phone # 10 days ago & never got a callback. 2nd time sent an e-mail directly to him---yup, have yet to here from him. don't companys care anymore about customer service after the sale?

i'm beginning to think sales is all they care about!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #2

Maybe he is on vacation or away on business. Normally the engineering people do not get involved with the end user, that is the sales department's job.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
paz

Most companies absolutely refuse to discuss technical issues directly with customers for liability reasons. They don't know if you are competent to handle technical information responsibly of not.

As RoyM said, engineers rarely talk to end users. That is the job of the sales or the customer service departments. That being said, the engineer should not have ignored your request. He should have forwarded it to customer service.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I wouldnt answer either... I would prolly send it on to someone who would, but then, prolly not and I wouldnt want that person to 'get an ear full' either..
Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #5

With the majority of companies there is a protocall in place to follow regarding customer concerns or complaints. This company should have explained those procedures to the customer calling and then followed up with. Customer Service is the backbone of ANY company if they are to remain in business.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #6

i called roadmaster with a problem and left a message waited 2weeks and no answer so i gave up. well a couple of days later he called and solved my problem he had been on vacation please dont give up too quickly
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I live less than 20 miles from both RoadMaster and WheelMaster. Never had a problem I couldn't solve yet but I have gone to both in the last few years. To RoadMaster to have my tow bar checked over and to WheelMaster for wheel cover parts. They're only about a block apart.
Some people don't realize that WheelMaster is owned by RoadMaster
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Roadmaster, like their prime competitor Blue OX, has a very good customer service reputation, Yours is the first complaint I have read in fact.

HOWEVER,, as the other party said, you have only waited 10 days for a specific person to return a call.. Standard vacation is 2 weeks, Some folks get 3 or more.

Try calling back and going for "Generic Customer Service Rep" see how that does.

My adivce on Even brake is to replace it.. The Invisible Brake (Also Roadmaster) may well be a good choice.. Logic follows:

The Even brake is a box in the driver's seat, though advertised as "NO installation needed" the fact is you need to install it EVERY time you tow. And you need to stow it when you drive. Both pains in the anatomy and sometimes I can see folks (I have had them admit it in fact) for a short tow just say "Oh forget it, only a short tow, too much trouble"

The invislble brake.... Well it is installed ONE TIME and remins in the vehicle all the time, You plug in the tow lights it's active. 1 second to activate it.

Same for M&G, Air Force 1, US-Gear and a host of other installed" systems.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
With the majority of companies there is a protocall in place to follow regarding customer concerns or complaints. This company should have explained those procedures to the customer calling and then followed up with. Customer Service is the backbone of ANY company if they are to remain in business.
X2

If I read the OP correctly, the call was made to the company asking only to speak with "Sam at ext 123". Then a voice mail was left for "Sam" and he hasn't returned the call.

If I did read it right, it seems that their entire Customer Support process was circumvented. "Sam" may or may not be out of the office and certainly should return the call... or pass it on to Customer Service to handle it... but at the end of the day, representing his company by speaking with end users is probably not his strength. Although my experience is with a much larger company, I can't imagine agreeing to putting an end user in direct contact with a design engineer.

I would suggest trying again and going through their Customer Support line. Maybe even asking if you could be hooked up with "Sam" but then they should have processes in place to open and track a call to closure.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nothing wrong with your reading Ricko.. That is exactly what he did..

And you made the same recommendation several of us have made.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #11

I'll add to my original post-------when I called Roadmaster operator & told her about problem, she was the one that told me to call Tech dept. & gave me the extension number. no one has returned a call or e-mail yet.
and I am not the only one dissappointed with their lack of calling back.
there is another gentleman on another web site with similar problems & has been waiting longer them me.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by two slides View Post
I'll add to my original post-------when I called Roadmaster operator & told her about problem, she was the one that told me to call Tech dept. & gave me the extension number. no one has returned a call or e-mail yet.
and I am not the only one dissappointed with their lack of calling back.
there is another gentleman on another web site with similar problems & has been waiting longer them me.
Thanks for the clarification. It does sound like they could use some improved call management processes as well as employee education on who they all actually work for.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #13

I don't disagree that you should get a call back....5 days have now transpired....and in this time frame....have you re-read your direction sheet and made an attempt yourself to fix the problem? Many times we overlook things and when looking again...the problem is obvious and is repairable. We all have a great mind and sometimes a break is all we need to see the problem.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #14

Not all are bad...try their email tools

We have a different story relating to bug zappers.

Purchased one from Lowes, lasted 1/2 of one season, spent $12.00 sending it in for warranty, was replaced with brand new one that lasted about a month.

Tossed in recycle bin.

Purchased a Flowtron online, made in USA.

One of the tubes stops working, open the unit up and see a starter broken.

I prefer to use manufacturer web pages as now it is timestamped, much better response.

The web page has a complete parts breakdown which was great.

So I send them an email stating what the problem was, what I had done and the part number I needed.

The next day I get a response, asking for a proof of purchase, one sent, received new starter in the mail.

Replaced starter, one tube does not complete start cycle, tube failed and took out the starter.

Replied to earlier email stating issue, within minutes a return email advising a new tube is in the mail.

Not all companies are bad.

Given the economy many have reduced help, try their online help.

Give detailed description of the problem, proof of purchase etc.

Tags
service