Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Location: We fulltime, so "Home is where we park it!" (Originally Las Vegas)
Ladder-Mounted Bike Rack

Have you purchased and installed a ladder mounted bike rack in the last 12 months? If so, what did you purchase and how do you like its performance? We are looking for one that will carry two bikes. Thanks!

'06 Newmar Dutchstar 4320 400hp Cummins on a Spartan tag-axle chassis w/ 2014 CRV
CWinLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWinLV View Post
If you use a ladder mounted bike rack, what do you use and how do you like it? We are looking for one that will carry two bikes. Thanks!
There is another thread taking about this, but some times searching can be frustrating. I went with a hitch mount since it is easier to handle the bikes and not trying to lift any higher than necessary. We also tow a car so I bought what was called a dual tow mount. It has another 2" receiver mounted above the regular hitch.
Amazon.com: CURT 45792 Dual 2" Receiver Extender: Automotive

2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:22 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Here is one of the threads about it. Ladder Bike Rack
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 08-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Location: We fulltime, so "Home is where we park it!" (Originally Las Vegas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
There is another thread taking about this, but some times searching can be frustrating. [/url]
Hi... No, searching isn't frustrating to me; I was a mainframe computer programmer for 15 years. I posed the question to the group because I'd like to hear what everyone is using now, since mounting technology changes over time and some of these threads are quite old. I've read quite a few threads and would like to hear about your actual usage and travel experiences with the brand you've purchased.

I changed the wording to better reflect my question. Thank you for the previous links, and thanks in advance for your new replies.

'06 Newmar Dutchstar 4320 400hp Cummins on a Spartan tag-axle chassis w/ 2014 CRV
CWinLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #5

I know people do it but I'd be concerned about hanging just about anything on one of those ladders. Sure seems flimsy when climbing on it and who knows how much affect the weight, wind resistance and highway vibration will have on the mounting screws.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I know people do it but I'd be concerned about hanging just about anything on one of those ladders. Sure seems flimsy when climbing on it and who knows how much affect the weight, wind resistance and highway vibration will have on the mounting screws.
1ciderdog

Especially when it's easy to do it right and use a hitch mount bike carrier.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #7

I bought a Swagman 2 Bike Rack Carrier Universal Ladder Mount RV 80630 on eBay and it works very well.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
I bought a Swagman 2 Bike Rack Carrier Universal Ladder Mount RV 80630 on eBay and it works very well.
What kind of challenge is it to get them that high to hang them?
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 08-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
What kind of challenge is it to get them that high to hang them?
I have not found this to be a challenge but it would be for my DW. In that case, if she was going to do the loading, I could lower the rack a rung or two. I do use several bungee cords to keep the bikes stable. My ladder was factory installed and is not flimsy at all.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
I have not found this to be a challenge but it would be for my DW. In that case, if she was going to do the loading, I could lower the rack a rung or two. I do use several bungee cords to keep the bikes stable. My ladder was factory installed and is not flimsy at all.
I predict that it will be soon.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:54 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
I had considered this till I started loading my bike on the roof of my truck :-P that told me bumper rack was in my future! Lol
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 08-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #12
IC2

I had need to pull a taillight housing on our now gone '06 Titanium 5er and saw how their ladder was attached ---- and I never climbed it again, preferring to use a 13' Werner collapsible instead. Yes, it was factory installed and was a better (heavier duty) ladder then what was supplied with the new 5er. It was installed only with self tapping screws through the fiberglass rear cap. No wood backer, no machine screws and fender washer, only the 1/8" cap material. I would never have considered hanging a pair of 25-35 pound bikes plus a rack from that ladder to possibly flap in the wind and bounce around causing a potential ladder failure, or worse, pulling a chunk of rear cap loose. You have no idea of what the wind pressure will end up being after wrapping around that coach, i.e. like an airplane wing. A sturdy hitch or bumper mount would be the best way.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWinLV View Post
Have you purchased and installed a ladder mounted bike rack in the last 12 months? If so, what did you purchase and how do you like its performance? We are looking for one that will carry two bikes. Thanks!
I bought this one:
Surco 2 Bike Carrier for Vans and RVs - Ladder Mount Surco Products RV and Motorhome Bike Racks SP501BR

Works well, sturdy, easily holds the weight of our two mountain bikes. I will buy the optional bike cover in the future. The bikes were filthy after a ride in the rain.
-George
Old 08-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ladder Mounted Bike Rack, RV Accessories
We've used this type for years,easy on and off, stores well. Sometimes I use it to carry a extra propane tank.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote