Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had just that discussin with someone in the RV park the other day.

The roof ladder on which was original on my coach is a very common size and capacity, The ladder itself handled my 330 pounds no problems.

The mounts, where it attached to the motor home.. BIG provlems.

Each ladder has a rating,, The ladder I now use is rated 250 pounds.. I'm no longer 330, but 320 well.. IT's close.

The rating is 1/2 the test capacity of the ladder.

I'm guessing the ones on a motor home, as attached, are likley in the 100 pound rating range, and if you are over 200 pounds. WORRY, watch the attachments very closely when climbing.

You can improve the rating by use of proper triangle bracing.. I used a screen door adjuster (one on each side) to add vertical strength, Like this

|--RV
| / <--The Brace
|--RV

The verticle line.. the ladder.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
Mine has a 235lb sticker next to it. I hope that is a conservative number, Just saying!
lol... I hope it's a "suggestion" and not a requirement

Old 07-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #17

Lord I hope so too... I mean 200! REALLY? Are they expecting the men to direct us women on what to do up there?
Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
Lord I hope so too... I mean 200! REALLY? Are they expecting the men to direct us women on what to do up there?
HAH, my wife hates step stools. let alone a ladder! Plus there's no way she'd ever stoop to cleaning anything.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the ladder is rated 225, It should handle me just fine, the test weight at least 2x the rating. However, Do not be a jerk when you climb.

As I said, Mine came right off the motor home. Ladder did not have a problem with me, but the mounts.. Not so strong.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the ladder is rated 225, It should handle me just fine, the test weight at least 2x the rating. However, Do not be a jerk when you climb.

As I said, Mine came right off the motor home. Ladder did not have a problem with me, but the mounts.. Not so strong.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #21

I'm the kind of guy who has a strong sense of personal safety. When I climbed up on my motor home's ladder I just didn't feel comfortable at all. On the top step I felt as if I was standing on the edge of a cliff. There was nothing to hold onto. So, I went to Home Depot and bought this:

13 ft. Aluminum Telescoping Multi Ladder with 300 lb. Load Capacity (Type IA Duty Rating)-MT-13 at The Home Depot

I have since used it to climb to the roof and I felt much safer. I set the ladder at an angle so it's not completely vertical. Now I can just step off the ladder and onto the roof. It's very safe and easy. The ladder is small when folded and easily fits in my back closet. It may also be found at Walmart.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Does anyone worry about the fiberglass cracking if you put too much weight on the ladder? My hubby weighs 160 soaking wet, so I don't think we need to worry.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
I go about 250 and go up and down many many times a year on my '99. I do always watch where it's attached and watch for any stress problems. None so far. Of course they may have made them better back then
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #24

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_nda_sand View Post
Uh oh, My wife cleans the roof I stand on the ground and give directions. I am under 200 (slightly) but clumsy and hate heights.
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #25

New telescoping ladder

Like grafxman I recently purchased an Xtend & Climb 12.5' 300 lb rated telescoping ladder. I'm nearly 240 lbs and did not like the ladder that attaches to the side of our fifth wheel toyhauler. The ladder has to come off when traveling.

The compact size of the telescoping ladder is a real plus but its no light weight at 34 lbs. That's fine with me since we can store it under the bed where the stock ladder is just cumbersome to haul around.

Bought ours online from Target for $200 plus tax, no shipping cost to our door. Target does not sell the ladder in their stores.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 10' Telescoping ladder, It is very nice and very useful.

The one I use to get on the 12' roof however is a convertable (Step/Extension) ladder my dad bought well before he died, it is rated 250, which means it takes my 330 no problem, it is long enough to put me on the roof safely (And off) with the 3rd rung being right at roof level. And of course I have been trained in properly setting a ladder (the proper angle. HINT for most people you put your toes against the feet of the ladder, and extend your hand while standing straight, lower your hand onto a rung, if you can grip the rung comfortably without flexing your elboy, That is the proper angle.

(Of only finger tips hit, too flat, if it hits your wrist, not palm, (or heal not palm) too steep).

On a good day I go up and down that sucker like a monkey. (alas good days are becomming fewer and farther between now days) Used to climb ladders for a living.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I too wondered that since I'm twice the man I used to be

but after one climb up the back and watching the flex in our 5w ladder, I got this:
Telescoping Ladders - Product - Camping World

best $179 I've spent on the rv....
only 21 lbs and stores anywhere !
it is rated @ only 225, but MUCH more solid feel than the 5w ladder !
Old 07-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
I've been traveling and not on the forum but I wanted to report that ATWOOD responded on the ladder weight limit... it's 300 lbs. Thank you to the fine folks at TIFFIN who were so quick to answer my emails and assisted in getting me through to the manufacturer.

theCOMVEE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight