Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2015, 01:45 PM   #1

Ladies- Gulfstream as a Wash Room, Kitchen & Storage at Camp

Wonder if any of you have an RV that you use as a washroom, kitchen and Storage unit on a property ? Ya know, not a fancy one, just one that's pared down, cheaper and something you don't want to pay property taxes on.

If so, let me know what you store in it and if it's handy as a cabin, and maybe only used a few times a year as a RV.

Ladies, especially would like your opinion. I'm thinking it'd be nice to slide some lawn furniture, citronella candles, lanterns, paper goods, you know stuff you might use at a deer lease, property, or camp at the ole homestead. We often have folks out to our camp, and get so tired of loading the car and unloading it with stuff. Would be nice to have it where I could just take out the clean furniture, bring a bag of ice and some food and be set up. Then in the bunk part have a shovel, rake, hoe, broom, brushes for dusting off benches, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts,

You can list the pros and cons as well.

Sound off............
Bella222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you have a used Gulf Stream to use as a storage shed, go for it. If not, I'd think you could do almost as much with a storage shed or small RV trailer that wouldn't have the issues of a motor, drivetrain, tires, brakes, etc. just sitting there on the lot. With a trailer you could remove the tires and prevent it's 'rolling' away. An older trailer would be far cheaper than buying a full size Class A or C RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #3

A friend has a lake front property that has a 10x10 shed with a well and pump inside with power panel. We ran pedastals for water and electric for travel trailers (up to 5). Outside of shed has a walled off outdoor shower and a 15 gallon water heater was put in the shed rafters. He bought an old cheap TT to park there. He just unplugs the trailer and parks it away from the shed, so no one accuses him of living in it, as county code allows camping, but not long term living in campers in his area. He is able to show up with his truck and minamal supplies and stay for a few weeks and leave without towing a trailer all the way home.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #4

I have no idea what the property tax rates or rules are in Texas but if you aren't sure I would check them out. Here in Colorado unimproved real property(that is not classified as agricultural, which is only 2% of assessed value) is taxed at 29% of its assessed value whereas improved property is only taxed on 7.9% of assessed value. Example I have 10 acres of unimproved property and pay about $1000 a year in property tax. My mom has 43 acres with a house on it and only pays $695 a year in property taxes, hers being improved is being charged the lesser rate. Now here the county determines what is improved or should say what constitutes improved. In this particular county a small cabin counts doesn't have to have utilities or anything. When I went to the assessors office he told me if I want to put a shed on it that would not count but If I got a shed that looked like a cabin or house from the outside, was finished on the inside and had a bunk or two in it and they would prefer at least a porta potty or outhouse they would qualify it The next county over requires a septic system, running water and a minimum square footage. I realize this doesn't answer your question but might be worth looking into as you might be able to buy a cheap house looking shed (think tuff shed)have it qualify and lower your taxes which in effect would pay for it over the coming years. Which here I could do for under 10k.
An example of what I am talking about
Best Barns Arlington 12 ft. x 16 ft. Wood Storage Shed Kit-arlington_1216 - The Home Depot don't put the storage shed doors on the end, just use matching siding spend another 1k or so on finishing the inside.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:31 AM   #5

Thanks for the thoughts, it's different everywhere I suppose. We are ag exempt now, so my taxes are already good on this piece of property. That's a cute barn.

As we are juggling a lot now, I think the Rv might be the ticket, for now.

Can't handle any more taxes. And they see to keep climbing in our area.ugh....

Yeah I think it would help make the property more usable to have a kitchen station and some storage, at the least make it a little easier for me anyway.

Keep the thoughts and ideas coming. Great ideas !
Bella222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like we did something very similar.
We have a camp here at the home farm back by the river.
So we bought a new 28' travel trailer during the recession and parked it at camp, built a cover over it and bought a portable gen for power.
We fill the water tanks, take down a charged battery and she has shower, hot water, sink, bunk for grand kid, big bed for us, microwave, hot coffee, fridge, all the things we like.
And it works great for storing most everything one needs except the fresh food.

Tags
gulfstream, storage