Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 04:57 PM   #1

Lady bugs

Would someone please tell me the best way to get rid of/and keep lady bugs out of a camper?

Flacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #2

We never had a problem with lady bugs in FL. However, love bugs are a different story.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #3

Burn it is the only way I know to get rid of them. Like me you probably picked them up last fall. I had a lot of them from being in Tennessee in November. They are still emerging here in FL. They get into places that are really small and I don't have any idea how to prevent them from getting in. They should all be out in a month or two or they will be dead. They stink if you squash them so we pick them up with hand held vac.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #4

I think they are some sort of Asian beetle that looks like a lady bug. We picked ours up this past Fall from Indiana. Still see an occasional one. I just catch them and throw them outside. Hubby squashes them.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #5

I've been getting them for several years here in North Central Florida. This is the third camper that I've gotten them in. There just more of a pain then anything. I usually wait until they're dead then vacuum them up. Was just wondering if there was something you could put in the camper to keep them out.
Flacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #6

Are they lady bugs or stink bugs. Never had a problem with lady bugs in central FL, but that was over 3 years ago.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You sure they are lady bugs or box elder bugs? One is round the other is more elongated. One is a beetle, the other a bug, but let's not get technical (beetles have hard outer wings like shells, bugs outerwings are more leathery and often fold over one another...anyway) They could also be elm leaf beetles..........but anyway, they were hibernating inside over winter and when it gets warmer will want outside. Use the vacuum....a small shop vac is handy to move around, just squirt Raid in when you are finished to kill what's in there. Then put in a bag and throw away. BUT if you take them alive, you can sell them to the local garden shops. Gardner's, especially organic gardners, love ladybugs because they eat aphids.

These overwintering bugs start moving inside around Labor Day, so you have all summer to chaulk all the windows and doors, chaulk under door thresholds, around your RVs' frame and firewalls for holes and cracks, check the roof vents for missing or bent screen, etc. These overwintering guests are harmless, they aren't feeding, they are just hanging out.....freaking out your child, sorry.

Indoor Ladybug Removal | eHow

Get Rid of Ladybugs with the Ladybug Removal Report

VIDEO: lady bug removal - Bing Videos
Old 02-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #8

We got our Ladybug infestation as a package deal when we bought the MH. The PO picked them up from, who knows. The little buggers bite, so we sucked them up(lots and lots of them)with the vacuum. After a couple of weeks, I found that they had laid their eggs on the top side of the lower seals on the slides. I killed those with spray and afterwards their numbers started to dwindled fast. Sure changed my fondness for those cute little Ladybugs.

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:01 PM   #9

When I brought my coach it had sink bugs. I finally got rid of them by using a Raid fogger, the type that comes in a little canister that you add water to to start the fogging. Fogged the coach, then did it again two weeks later. I am bug free. Don't forget to remove smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and cover LP gas detector with plastic wrap. Keeping them out is another thing.

Good Luck
Old 02-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I apparently picked some up about 3 years back on a trip to North Florida area. We have been dealing with them since then. Usually only a few appear as I spray the inside of mh pretty well when I park it. I don't think these little dudes cause much problem, but they are aggravating. I did read on another board where they had gotten into fridge exhaust and nested causing a partial blockage.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #11

Its common in Louisiana. The ladybugs (and they are ladybugs) must be attracted to something in RVs. Almost everyone I've camped with has had them at one point or another. Most common in heat of summer. The way we rid them is close everything up good and tight with no water or ac. A few days of 100+ will kill them all. Just vacuum.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:28 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Photo is from this past 2 Dec in Pensacola, a swarm (100's) of Thatsnolady Bugs hatched and were attracted to the white side of the motorhome. Could not be sure of source but seemed to be from the woods behind the MH. They do bite. Shells had no or few spots. Only apparent for a hour or 2 that one day.
This fall we had visited Michigan and States between but have not seen any in the MH.... Judging from the bites, they eat people, not aphids..
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #13

I don't think you have a "lady bug" problem, I'm betting its a Japanese Beetle Problem. They are a bitch to kill. I suck them up with a portable vac (like a dust buster). If you want an insecticide, make sure it says "Japanese Beetle on the container. There is a couple of things you can do to cut them down IF you are in the same area each year. As part of their life cycle, they go into the ground where they are much easer to kill. The key is to "infect" your soil in the area with milky spore disease. This is harmless to us, but very bad for grubs. Unfourtanly this takes a couple of generations (years) to really be effective. You can also cover the plants and soil in your area with BT Bacillus thuringiensis). You can buy BT as Safer Brand 8 oz. Garden Dust at the big box stores. If you get it, apply in the afternoon as it breaks down in sunlight. These products are 100% safe for us and our pets. It only effects insects that eat plants. What BT does is "clog up" the digestive system of the bug so they can't eat any more.

I find that the bugs like to swarm on the bright side of the trailer. So it is very important to make sure you have no opening on that side of the RV. I ended up putting clear tape over the little vent holes at the bottom of the windows so they wouldn't come in.

What ever you do, DON'T use the Jap beetle "traps" These use the beetles stink good to attract the bugs to the bag. The problem is that you will attract the bug from everywhere down wind. End result you will have millions of the damn things and your neighbors will suddenly have none (because they all went over to your place)

the best thing you can do is go hunting for these when they first start to show up. don't squish them (they stink and attract more of their kind) dump the ones you get in soapy water to kill them. If a few find your area nice, they will release smell good to bring more of their kind.

Walt
Old 02-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #14

Remedies here.

http://m.voices.yahoo.com/how-rid-la...ly-689515.html

davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote