Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
A.J

Hi All.

Are their any other Ladies out there driving RV's?

We had a 34' 1997 Winnebago Adventure and traded it in for a 40' 2006 Class A Magellan, we finally take possession of it on Monday. It took some time to feel confident about driving the Adventure at the end I really enjoyed driving it, but am a little nerves to drive the Magellan which is a lot bigger (FOR ME). I have taken 2 different driving courses for MH's and plan to get my class A.

This is just general anyone can reply with his or her comments, just want to know how may other ladies are driving and how they feel.

Amanda

2006 Magellan 38E/Quad Slide
A.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
A.J

Hi All.

Are their any other Ladies out there driving RV's?

We had a 34' 1997 Winnebago Adventure and traded it in for a 40' 2006 Class A Magellan, we finally take possession of it on Monday. It took some time to feel confident about driving the Adventure at the end I really enjoyed driving it, but am a little nerves to drive the Magellan which is a lot bigger (FOR ME). I have taken 2 different driving courses for MH's and plan to get my class A.

This is just general anyone can reply with his or her comments, just want to know how may other ladies are driving and how they feel.

Amanda

Old 03-09-2006, 05:44 PM   #3

My Wife Drives,

she drives our 5th wheel, i cant drive too long anymore
she will drive anything i give her...
Old 03-10-2006, 10:12 AM   #4

My wife drives The Bus

Somehow her turn to drive always seems to be at the worst times, like crossing the GW Bridge at rush hour.

We are lucky that we each feel comfortable enough with the others driving to take a little nap.

Art
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Amanda, I drive our rig. It took a while to get comfortable and I still do not like to do the cities, with the 3 and 4 lanes of traffic, sandwiched between semis and having to change lanes I started with taking the wheel when I knew we had long sections of interstate with rest stops at fequent intervals. I was very comfortable with slow in town stuff, but the high speed interstate was white knuckle. We did a trip around the US, about 5000 miles and I drove a lot, that got me comfortable.
I guess with the wider rig, the biggest problem was finding a line of sight for my vision to be able to stay in my lane and be aware of my mirrors and everything around me. I took a driving course and remembered the instructor saying to look up the road about 3 vehicle lengths and that usually gets my eye on the hwy for good alignment. I tend to hug the right and that makes Joe nervous. Also, seems like whenever I get the wheel, we hit a construction zone
Hang in there, each time you take the wheel, it will get easier.

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:09 AM   #6

We are selling our 38'Dutch Star because the wife won't drive it. Going to downsize. I have a few health problems and need her to drive at times. So, hang in there and you will be just fine. It just takes a short time to get the hang of it.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:28 AM   #7

Amanda, In our park in Zephyrhills,Florida there are three ladies that are driving 40 ft. coachs, you can do it also, good luck. Ed.S
Old 03-11-2006, 06:11 AM   #8

This may not qualify but I drive our truck and tow our travel trailer. I started out on the interstate where I knew I didn't have to make a lot of turns, etc. and have found that I do pretty well. Personally, I would rather be on the highway than in town. Now I drive on the longer trips to give Jimmy a break.

The one thing I don't feel completely comfortable with yet is backing it up. I can do it but just not well enough to get past that white knuckle feeling. I think that comes from my dad always yelling at me, no matter what how well I was doing, when I was backing up his race car trailer. Good thing my DH can easily back our TT into any spot.

With a little practice I think ladies can drive any RV.
OkieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
A.J

Thank you all for your words of encouragement. It's really nice to get this kind of support, I applaud you all
For all you men that are supporting your wife's, GIVE YOUR SELVES A PAT ON THE BACK.

We're planning our first trip to a park about an hour away from our house so that we can check everything out on the new rig before we head down to Fort Myers in two weeks. "For" me the biggest hurdle is driving on the 401 Hwy, which has 3 lanes each direction and the car in tow for total of 58' to 60' in length.

Thank you, Amanda

Old 03-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #10

I have a deal with my hubby. I do all the driving and he takes care of the kids and directions. My kids are now 16, 13 and 8 so he's not got much to do anymore. I prefer driving, it's my truck we use to tow with so I am very comfortable with it. I also drove a school bus for 9 years-72 passenger.

Don't worry, she'll do fine and it'll be a breeze.

Nell

2002 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 quad cab
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:41 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Amanda,

Go for it. Though my wife doesn't drive our 38' MH she has driven a 39' school bus. Only differrence is there are windows down the side of the bus and of course there isn't in the MH. One of these days she will drive, more than likely on the interstates.

Do this, when driving down the road, find a spot on the dash that lines up with the road stripes looking 50' out. Have someone put a piece of tape on the dash, now you have a marker that will always put you in the middle of the lane. Other thing, if towing leave the camera on at all times. Here is another tip, with the car hook up to the coach, have someone walk to the rear behind the car about 50'. Now have that person walk towards the car. When you just see the bottom half of there legs have them stop. Now get a tape measure and measure the length from the rear of the car to that person. That will tell you when you see another car in the camera just how far they are from the rear of the tow and also watch it while passing, you will be able to see when the tow is clear and can safely move over. Good luck and have fun.
Renegades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:39 PM   #12
A.J

Thanks for all the tips, I'll make sure I try them.

Jim
The tape idea sounds interesting I'll test it on the weekend.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #13

I drive my rig. Not that big until you attach the toad. It's only a 26' Class C but I tow my car. I'm single. I do all the driving. All the setup. All the breakdown. Everything.

My bird is the navigator. <grin>

There's nothing anyone can't do if they just decide to do it. I can back this thing up like nobody's business. You just gotta try it and get used to it.

The scariest thing I did was drive it up US 550 from durango, CO to north of Ouray, Co when it was new. That was real driving.

After that, the rest is gravy.

PatT
Old 03-22-2006, 05:51 PM   #14
SMC

I drive our rig. Took driving lessons from Dick Reed's RV driving school several years ago and have driven ever since. Hubby and I just about split the driving which makes for an easy day.
Go for it!

'06 Torrey Pines
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote