Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Lake City, FL = Anti-RV City

The city of Lake City, FL is now rigorously enforcing its Anti-RV "No Overnight RV Parking" ordinance. It prohibits sleeping in a recreational vehicle in any location that isn't specifically approved for this activity. The way the requirements are written, no place in the city will qualify other than licensed commercial RV parks.

The law has been only sporadically enforced in the past.

The following article appeared in the Lake City Reporter on Friday, January 28, 2011.

Lake City Reporter > News > NO CAMPING

The article contains the usual inaccurate and misleading statements, from the campground owner who lobbied for renewed enforcement of this law.

Personally, I've added Lake City, FL my own list of Anti-RV cities, and that means I will not visit nor spend any money in this city.

jobriant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't want to sleep on a city street anyway so fine by me.

I'll go there , some fine antique shops there that we have been wanting to check out.
Nice little campground out where 441 crosses I-10

Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
I Feel the Same Way! I don't use Walmarts much to overnight in, just in a pinch, when I can't find anything close to the route I am on. Here Is another one of enforced no parking. Plattsburgh, N.Y. Walmart also caused by an RV ParK Owner complaint. I won't name the Park because it now has new owners. Hope they don't do this all over America. Irover
Old 02-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Man, it is getting ugly.

They won't let me park at my daughters condo on the beach at Fort Lauderdale either. Now what ?

Kerry
Old 02-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
Man, it is getting ugly.

They won't let me park at my daughters condo on the beach at Fort Lauderdale either. Now what ?

Kerry
Completely understandable. Most condo parking areas are quite small. I would barely fit in any of them with my longbed 2500 Ram truck. There are no shortages of CG's around Fort Lauderdale for you to put your RV.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobriant
The city of Lake City, FL is now rigorously enforcing its Anti-RV "No Overnight RV Parking" ordinance. It prohibits sleeping in a recreational vehicle in any location that isn't specifically approved for this activity. The way the requirements are written, no place in the city will qualify other than licensed commercial RV parks.

The law has been only sporadically enforced in the past.

The following article appeared in the Lake City Reporter on Friday, January 28, 2011.

Lake City Reporter > News > NO CAMPING

The article contains the usual inaccurate and misleading statements, from the campground owner who lobbied for renewed enforcement of this law.

Personally, I've added Lake City, FL my own list of Anti-RV cities, and that means I will not visit nor spend any money in this city.
Completely understandable IMHO. I wouldn't want people camping on the streets of my town. I suppose it's nice if there is a Walmart available if you need it in pinch but personally I've never done it and certainly would never make it a lifestyle.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
edj

I don't think that the towns/cities that ban overnight camping in the Walmarts, parking lots or streets care if they are labeled "RV Unfriendly". They have a pretty good feel for the markets and know that most (if not all) people free-loading in their town are not likely to hang around long or spend much. The local town govt will cater to their own residents over transients.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
lake city florida has always been a bit left of center, even back in the late 80's they were very negative towards RV's and military

weird little place we used to go through to cut off some time on the way to itchnutucknee (sp)
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #9

Here is the latest news from Lake City:

Lake City, FL (Posted Feb 03, 2011 07:45 am)

The Observer learned early Wednesday evening that the RV no parking issue at the Lake City Walmart, which has gone viral on the net and done nothing more than cause ill will for Lake City and Columbia County, is soon to be gone with the wind. A call to Wendell Johnson, Lake City’s straight talking City Manager, confirmed the tip was soon to become a reality and the signs at Walmart are going to be coming down. (03:40 pm - The Observer has learned that at approximately 11:20 am today the City Manager announced the signs were down)
Old 02-04-2011, 12:03 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
I don't think that the towns/cities that ban overnight camping in the Walmarts, parking lots or streets care if they are labeled "RV Unfriendly". They have a pretty good feel for the markets and know that most (if not all) people free-loading in their town are not likely to hang around long or spend much. The local town govt will cater to their own residents over transients.

LOL us free Loaders are back in Business!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do not sleep on city streets nor have I ever stayed at a Walmart parking lot. I don't plan to. However, I like the option open just in case a situation arises where I do have to stay in such a place overnight. So I am against bans, and I am for a fair amount of boycotting.

Many years ago, a military installation was admonished because the military members were causing "problems in town." The commander of the military installation put the town "off limits." The townspeople then complained of off limits and all griping stopped and the off limits was lifted. So bans can work, but only if there is a high rv travel stop in that area.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Land of the free and home of the brave?
True democracy is two wolves and a chicken voting on what is for dinner.
A little bit of morality needs to be inserted into the mix.
If the city had an area, (like in a fair ground parking lot), where people could park for a limited time while traveling, I could agree with a restriction. But to say that if you do not patronize our RV park(s) at whatever they choose to charge, (if they will even accept a 11 year old rig), then don't stop here.
I think that is a violation of a freedom to move about the country, and politically exclude those with limited funds. I am sure their law is aimed at squatters, but a lot of decent retired people who are just traveling can be harmed with this policy as well.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyB1954 View Post
Land of the free and home of the brave?
True democracy is two wolves and a chicken voting on what is for dinner.
A little bit of morality needs to be inserted into the mix.
If the city had an area, (like in a fair ground parking lot), where people could park for a limited time while traveling, I could agree with a restriction. But to say that if you do not patronize our RV park(s) at whatever they choose to charge, (if they will even accept a 11 year old rig), then don't stop here.
I think that is a violation of a freedom to move about the country, and politically exclude those with limited funds. I am sure their law is aimed at squatters, but a lot of decent retired people who are just traveling can be harmed with this policy as well.
The fact that it is the land of the free means that if the RVer does not like the policies/rules/laws of a certain area, they are free to move on down the road to the next area. The same goes for the towns; they are free to put whatever restrictions on the lands/roads in that town that they want. If they go too far, the local citizens will take the necessary steps in the next election cycle.

Why is it that some RVers feel they are entitled to a free parking area to stay overnight?
Old 02-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
So, let me get this straight. Lake City, FL has an ordnance (law) on it's books that say "No overnight RV parking" (unless permitted).
Now it is not going to enforce the law.

I used to taxi aircraft to the Lake City airport and stay in town overnight. I don't remember it being a place where there is overnight street parking available. That was in the 80's. I guess things change.

How many people have overnighted in Lake City ?? Is there a shortage of RV Campgrounds in the area ?? Politically exclude those with limited funds, give me a break. What about those bridges marked "No vehicles over 8 tons" allowed". LOL

Kerry