Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #1

Lake Weir Living - Anybody Buying?

The "Lake Weir Living" banner ad has been flying for months and I was wondering if anyone has purchased a home in this community?

I went to their WEB site and filled out the contact card and received a call within a day. It was a sales call with all of the sales pitch stuff but little else to sink my teeth in to so I was hoping to find someone who has actually purchased a home in this community.

I have searched the internet and the only info I can find is their WEB site which concerns me somewhat. I do not want to drive from my current home (15 hours) to see dirt roads and three houses under construction...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArnolds View Post
The "Lake Weir Living" banner ad has been flying for months and I was wondering if anyone has purchased a home in this community?

I went to their WEB site and filled out the contact card and received a call within a day. It was a sales call with all of the sales pitch stuff but little else to sink my teeth in to so I was hoping to find someone who has actually purchased a home in this community.

I have searched the internet and the only info I can find is their WEB site which concerns me somewhat. I do not want to drive from my current home (15 hours) to see dirt roads and three houses under construction...
We went to Alliance Coach in Wildwood for some warranty work and took the time to look at the Villages and the Lake Weir development. I'd wait until the project matures. We drove all around and could not find anything that looked like the banner. Just lots of black top streets without curbs and rough. I think the banner was photo shopped.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I think your right about the picture being photo shopped...If you look at the house on the right, There's no way your getting your rig into the big garage without taking out the roof and gutter of the smaller garage next to it, unless you drove onto the grass.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:01 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
There is at least one person on here that has bought and had built a house and RV garage there. They love it.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
look at the villages, great investment,
you can park your RV in several places for $45 a month,
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
look at the villages, great investment,
you can park your RV in several places for $45 a month,
Thanks for the recommendation on the Villages however I am looking for a place that I can park my RV next to my house. The Villages are nice but they will not allow parking your RV at your residence plus they have many other restrictions that I care not to deal with.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:05 AM   #7

If you want to see what the area looks like, homes, streets and more, just use Google Maps or Zillow.com. Either site will show satellite views of what is built. Different zoom scales will show hopefully the most recent developments. If it is a private community, often Google Street view has not been able to drive the neighborhood. But Zillow.com can be another way to overlook the area. They have a feature called Bird View, and you can often view any property from the 4 compass directions. Takes most of the guess work out of long distance questions about the lay of the land.

A quick look just now, and rough count shows about 20 homes on the satellite views of Zillow.com. Put in Bay Ave, Lake Weir Florida for a quick search.

A quick "drive up" SW 145 St. shows the look of the land, and conditions of the streets on Google Maps Street view.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation on the Villages however I am looking for a place that I can park my RV next to my house. The Villages are nice but they will not allow parking your RV at your residence plus they have many other restrictions that I care not to deal with.

X2 ... as do many other locations in Florida. Shop carefully ... read ALL of the Covenants in any deed restricted community (Lake Weir is not deed restricted).

As for Lake Weir, I was there about 8 months ago. It is not very heavily developed but you can find a few homes that look like the banner. It does require driving up and down a bunch of seemingly empty roads. For lack of a better description, I would call it "very rural" ... absolutely nothing like The Villages.

As for the banner, the Lake Weir sponsor has been open about adding some "RV specific" details to the home pictures. Think of it as "architectural drawings".
Old 07-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #9

About 18 months ago, we were seriously shopping for a place like you're describing, where we could keep the MH at home as well. Did a TON of research online (for 2 months!), then we took the MH down there and stayed in campgrounds near areas that looked interesting. Bounced around different parts of FL for another month (looking at places I had seen on Trulia and Zillow), finally settling on the Gulf side, and south of Ocala. They call that area "North Central". We're just west of Lake Weir and the Villages, but closer to the coast. LOVE it. Out in the country feel, and SUPER friendly people the rule rather than the exception.

Back on topic, in addition to the concept of keeping the MH at home, I was concerned over the potential for somebody building/erecting something that might best be described as "economical" housing next door to my much nicer home? What I found was a deed restricted community, without an overbearing home owners association, was my best plan. I feel the deed restrictions take care of both issues to my satisfaction. Took some footwork (and careful reading), but I found areas that will do the job do exist.

Don't want to offend any of our site sponsors here, so would be happy to share more detail via PM. I will say we weren't crazy about Lake Weir either - or the Villages. That's us though. -Al
Old 07-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
The Villages is not for everyone, no place is but 110,000 live there.

They sell 350 homes a month

As to restrictions a few but mostly to maintain value, like maintain your lawn........

About 40 golf courses free
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Check out Lake Ashton in Lake Wales. There is an RV home section with homes with a full hook-up RV garage attached. We also have a FMCA chapter, "L.A. Travelers" that has rallies often, Christmas party/dance, etc. There is a RV social every Tuesday afternoon with a cash bar. There are also non-RV homes and gated RV storage within the community.