Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 12:18 PM   #1

Lake Weir Preserve Update

It’s been awhile since I have been on this forum. So, I will attempt to provide an update and answer some questions from some threads from over a year ago.

The wife and I had a house built here where groundbreaking was at the end of September 2013, and it was turnkey by the end of April 2014. We love the house and we love the area. We both grew up in the country and we both like the country flare with where we built. The primary reasons for building here was that we could build what WE wanted with NO HOA fees or restrictions. This is our RV home base and we have easy access to I75 going up into the mid-west, west, or down the gulf coast. We can also connect easily with I95 and go North up the East coast or down the Atlantic coast of Florida.

This is NOT a cookie cutter development where they throw up 10 homes of the same design and you’re basically told that you can take it or leave it, and if you want to modify it you can do that AFTER you move in. When we decided to build here and retire out of Maryland, we took about 6 months of cut-and-pasting and discussions with the developer to come up with the house we wanted. In essence we took one of their models called the TUSCAN III and ideas from a few others of their models and came up with our design, which is now known as the TUSCAN IV. We designed our home to have an RV garage that is 45’x16’x16 inside dimensions with FULL hookups inside (i.e. 50 amp service, septic dump, well water and softened water, cable, and phone). We also specified an exterior RV pad to handle our 43’ 5th wheel for when I need to wash it, or do maintenance which is easier to do outside. Since the onboard DirecTV boxes go inactive after a month of not being able to “phone home”, this pad also allows for me to activate the TV dish to refresh those boxes. It also serves as a spot for visiting friends and family to park their RV while visiting. The RV pad is served with 50amp service and both well and softened water. The driveway, RV pad, and the RV garage floor was also spec’d out for the weight with 6 inch re-enforced concrete

The current developer started Lake Weir Living (now Lake Weir Preserve) back in 2011. His concept was to build a Baby Boomer Toy Friendly Community, and there are a combination of Baby Boomers in this development that are motorcyclists, car enthusiasts, and RV’rs. As of this date there are 26 homes and two under construction by this current developer and builder. The original developer started this neighborhood back in the early 80s and unfortunately went under. From that time to current a number of lots were purchased and a number of random homes have been built between now and then. With this developer, there are currently 6 RV homes built; 5 with RV garages and 1 with just an RV side pad, and currently there are 2 RV homes under construction both with RV garages. Building restrictions are imposed by the State and Marion County which dictates for this area that a home on these lots must be a permanent structure with a minimum living square footage of 1000SqFt, and can sustain wind gusts up to 140kts (tropical storm code).

The current builder is 5th generation and has over the years focused on homes in the $1.5+ million plus class and upper end commercial (i.e. banks, doctors and legal offices). He brings a lot of high end expertise into the construction of our homes. Basically, he doesn’t build cramp.
• Drake Construction: Home - Drake Construction Services

The Lake Weir Preserve banner that used to be displayed on this site had a picture of the 1st RV home that was completed with the owners Tiffin motorhome in the front drive.

Regarding the Villages (or any other HOA development) and RVrs, sure you can buy there. Have HOA fees and restrictions and will have to store you RV OFF campus somewhere. Our RV is inside under lock and key out of the sun. We can work on it ANY time we want. We DON’T have to drive back and forth to the storage lot to get it ready to go, load it, and/or unload upon return from our trips, or prep it for storage. In our garage, It also can stay “plugged in” to keep the batteries charged.

Living in the country affords us many of the things we desire: peace and quiet, away from traffic and congestion during the “Snow Bird” season, the ability to do what we want with our property and plant whatever we want. And we don’t need to worry about hearing our neighbors sneeze since there is SPACE between the properties/houses.

BUT, we’re just 8 miles away from Lady Lake, The Villages and Belleview and 20 miles away from the county seat of Marion County, Ocala. So we are close to retail infrastructure and medical facilities. And the doctors we have are GREAT!

The Marion County Sheriff’s department sector office is just around the corner from us and the fire department and emergency squad is just 4 miles away.

We may not be residents of The Villages; however, we can make use of a lot of their services.
• The Villages Lifelong Learning College offers over 1000 courses for a smell fee.
o The Villages Lifelong Learning College | Catalog
• A number of The Villages downtown squares have free daily entertainment we can go and listen to also.
o https://www.thevillages.com/lifestyle/eventlisting.asp
• We can make use of their shops and restaurants also

One BIG plus for living where we’re at, is when the Snowbirds show up, the population of the Villages DOUBLES during the winter months. Ourselves, we left traffic jams back in the D.C./ Maryland metro area when we moved down here 2.5 years ago.

In our town of Ocklawaha and nearby, we also have some table fare that’s good:
• Big Bob’s: Big Bob's Italian Restaurant and Pizza | Ocklawaha, Florida
• Gator Joe’s: Gator Joe's Beach Bar & Grill - Ocklawaha, Florida Restaurant
• Eaton’s Beach: Eaton's Beach Sandbar & Grill

We’re just over an hour away from either coast. Daytona and the raceway are just over an hour away also.

Though we’re outside of the tourist environment, we’re still only about an hour and 15 minutes from the Orlando parks (Disney World, Sea World, and Universal); we have bought Disney Florida Resident Annual passes the last two years.

The Orlando International Airport is about an hour and 20 minutes from the house.

For those who have an equestrian interest, we have been told that Marion County has had more winning thoroughbreds than the rest of the country combined. There is also a renowned equestrian facility just north of Ocala: Ocala :: HITS

Entertainment:
• Weirsdale, just 4 miles down the road, has the Orange Blossom Opry with the bigger acts normally scheduled starting in January through May
o Home - The Orange Blossom Opry - The Orange Blossom Opry
• And the Villages has the Sharon:
o </title> <!DOCTYPE html> <html lang="en"> <script> if (/*@cc_on!@*/false) { document.documentElement.className+=' ie10'; } </script> <head> <meta charset="utf-8" /> <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" /> <meta name="robots" content="
• The Savannah Center
o The Villages Community Calendar
• Ocala Civic Theatre
o Welcome to Ocala Civic Theatre
• Bay Street Players
o baystreetplayers

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0076.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	138752   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0079_Tilt Corrected.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	335.7 KB
ID:	138753  

Name:	IMG_0468.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	381.8 KB
ID:	138754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	138755  

Name:	_MG_3757.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	138756   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3758.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	391.8 KB
ID:	138757  

Name:	_MG_3761_C.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	492.1 KB
ID:	138758   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3753_C.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	138759  

Name:	_MG_3762.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	138760   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3764_C.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	138761  

jabird56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #2

This is the best info! We have been heading home to PA and today our RV neighbors (we're in Brunswick, GA) mentioned Lake Weir Preserve. Looking it up online, it sounds like what we've been looking for - a home base where we can park our motorhome. Currently trying to look for the negative reviews, and haven't found any. The one thing that stood out was the mention of motorcycles and I wondered if it can be a noise problem.

So now we're thinking of turning back around and heading to Florida again to check it out before we finish our trip to PA.

Thanks much for your detailed post

Old 03-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #3

Sounds real nice,,, but a little out of the price range of a truck driver I would figure....
monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Sounds real nice,,, but a little out of the price range of a truck driver I would figure....
I guess home prices are relative but from looking at the info, these seems as if they could be reasonable depending on the options chosen. The basic houses looked as if they started in the low $200's. Since we currently live in the Philadelphia suburbs, that sounded reasonable.

We're heading back down to take a look. Even if it doesn't appeal when we see it, it will give us another perspective in what's out there.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
This is the best info! We have been heading home to PA and today our RV neighbors (we're in Brunswick, GA) mentioned Lake Weir Preserve. Looking it up online, it sounds like what we've been looking for - a home base where we can park our motorhome. Currently trying to look for the negative reviews, and haven't found any. The one thing that stood out was the mention of motorcycles and I wondered if it can be a noise problem.

So now we're thinking of turning back around and heading to Florida again to check it out before we finish our trip to PA.

Thanks much for your detailed post
Very rarely do we here the neighbors and their motorcycles. Where our house is situated, we here more motorcycle traffic on Rte 25, which really isn't that bad.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabird56 View Post
Very rarely do we here the neighbors and their motorcycles. Where our house is situated, we here more motorcycle traffic on Rte 25, which really isn't that bad.
Thank you for the follow up. Especially while traveling in the motorhome the differences between road noise and quiet rural are significant. One of the places we stayed recently had some bikers that were somewhat louder (late at night) than I prefer. And the home base concept eliminates the value of "if you don't like your neighbors you can move."
Old 03-13-2017, 01:38 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you for your tutorial it's the best I've seen so far. We have talked to the salesperson on several occasions at different rallies. The info you have given has been much more thorough. I also get emails monthly with property reports from them.

We have also talked with the owners of The Gardens RV Village in Crossville Tennessee.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593 & WIT 170814
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:32 PM   #8

Arrow

Sure you can sneak into The Villages (TV), or you can buy a house there and have more amenities than any please else in the US, with over 2,000 things to do.

yes 2,000 activities.

47 golf courses free, 50 pools the list go's on, those are not available to non residents

you can't park your RV except for few days to load wash etc.

But you can store it in several places for <$50.

just check out TV 4 your self, there's a reson it's the fastest growing adult community in the USA

Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
Sure you can sneak into The Villages (TV), or you can buy a house there and have more amenities than any please else in the US, with over 2,000 things to do.

yes 2,000 activities.

47 golf courses free, 50 pools the list go's on, those are not available to non residents

just check out TV 4 your self, there's a reason it's the fastest growing adult community in the USA

That's the beauty of our country and people being able to make their own choices. I am someone who wants my motorhome on my property. and I, personally, am not interested in "group amenities." But I have friends who would appreciate what the Villages offers.

As a nurse, I have worked in continuing care retirement communities and some people are drawn to those. But that wouldn't be my choice either.

I don't need to check out the Villages to know it isn't something I would like. Lake Weir Preserve might be. I think it is great that there are options, and choices, where each person can find what suits him/herself.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:27 PM   #10

Are you implying that TV is for "continuing care retirement communities"

That's not in any way the case there are residents from 40 and up

TV is not a bunch of old farts
Old 03-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Are you implying that TV is for "continuing care retirement communities"

That's not in any way the case there are residents from 40 and up

TV is not a bunch of old farts
Not at all. I am saying that it is a wonderful thing to have a choice. What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else. I, personally, would not want to live in a continuing care retirement community. That doesn't mean it isn't right for someone else. I also don't want to live in a community that won't let me keep my motorhome on my property. That doesn't mean that everyone who owns a motorhome wants to keep it on his/her property. Since I know that the Villages doesn't allow motorhomes in the community, I know it is not somewhere that I would want to live.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:00 PM   #12

fine please stop calling it a "continuing care retirement community" when it's not then
Old 03-14-2017, 05:22 AM   #13

Quote:

yes 2,000 activities.

just check out TV 4 your self, there's a reson it's the fastest growing adult community in the USA

Again, to each their own. We're staying busy in our own way.

In the fine print regarding TV golf courses only a few of them are "free", your still paying for them in your monthly HOA fees. And in our case why should we pay for something we wouldn't use. There is an annual premium extra price to play the other courses. I just found out from a friend that lives in TV, that he also pays a premium for VIP priority reservations for those golf courses.

And we have our own pool that we can use anytime we want.

We don't have the TV traffic in the country, which for TV doubles during Snowbird season. It was so bad this year that it felt like I was back driving in the DC metro area.

And I like living in the country where we can't hear our neighbors sneeze.

NO HOAs were a priority for us. We have lived in an HOA neighborhood in the past, and being retired we don't need the politics that evolve in HOA environments. We have one couple that moved out of a HOA heavy development because of the multi-faction politics in that development. It was so bad there that a resident sued the HOA board for defamation of character and won a big settlement.

Again TV isn't for everybody, just like LWP isn't for everybody.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:41 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just curious about a couple of issues:

1. We live in a HOA and I'm certainly aware of their shortcomings. However, there is the concern of how well property is maintained. With no HOA at Lake Weir, is there any concern that someone might not maintain their lot? Does everyone mow their own lawns or do folks get together and hire someone to do that?

2. What about security when residents are away for long trips? Any concerns about vandalism, break-in's, etc. when you are away for months?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote