Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #29

Buckeyes from TN??

We are Buckeyes in Lake County Florida. Love Lake county. I guess we should say we are part time Buckeyes now, but full time Gators!!! If you are thinking about FL Lake County is a great place to be. The hurricanes don't affect us like they do on the coast and the lakes in the county make it a beautiful place to live. Nice people, too. Just wish they would learn to drive!!!
campingcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #30

I lived in a Condo with a HOA. Seems like every winter when the snow birds arrived, we would SPEND money up the wazzoo on stupid things. When I bought there the dues were 175.00 a month. 5 years later they were up to $420.00. I just flat out stopped paying it. I didn't pay for 16 months. Letters and Lawyers came and went. In the end, I sold the condo. They tried to stop the sale but were too late in placing a lien.

I'll never buy into an HOA again......ever.
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I lived in a Condo with a HOA. Seems like every winter when the snow birds arrived, we would SPEND money up the wazzoo on stupid things. When I bought there the dues were 175.00 a month. 5 years later they were up to $420.00. I just flat out stopped paying it. I didn't pay for 16 months. Letters and Lawyers came and went. In the end, I sold the condo. They tried to stop the sale but were too late in placing a lien.

I'll never buy into an HOA again......ever.
I have heard that story over and over again.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #32

HOA is Home Owners' Association. This means that before you buy the home you should be careful and read the deed restrictions. Many folks buy into a community with deed restrictions without reading these documents. Then they find out they can't park a junked truck on their front lawn and they get upset at the HOA board of directors. Personally I like living in a neighborhood with an HOA. Keeps it cleaned up!!
Fred Longhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:48 PM   #33

Remember that 99% of the drivers in Florida are from up north!! Try finding a Florida native sometime!!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #34

Instead of complaining or skipping out on your payments why not join the HOA board of directors and make changes. I did that. I convinced them to change over our silly front yard lights that were running on natural gas 24 hours a day to electric ones that have electic eye cells so they turn off during the day. This year we reduced our maintenance fees and up til then hadn't had an increase in five yrs.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:40 AM   #35

No Fred it was more fun "skipping out". Every year, the snow birds would come down and replace trees, get a new cable TV system, want to build another clubhouse when the one we have had only been used two times that year. The BOD was nothing more that a few Yankees that live at the condo no more that 4 months a year. You would see them walking around with a clip board looking for ways to spend money.

About three months after we sold, I got a letter from the BOD telling me I owed over $5,000 in back fees. I sent it back to them. Wished I could have seen their reaction.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Longhi View Post
Instead of complaining or skipping out on your payments why not join the HOA board of directors and make changes. I did that. I convinced them to change over our silly front yard lights that were running on natural gas 24 hours a day to electric ones that have electic eye cells so they turn off during the day. This year we reduced our maintenance fees and up til then hadn't had an increase in five yrs.
Yep" join the board of directors.
you folks "are" the exception; nearly everyone that has lived in a HOA say that they will "never" again buy into a development that has an HOA.
Change the board of directors in a HOA and things can go from good to bad in a hurry.
Try to get rid of the bad BOD; nearly impossible; ask me how I know; it's been seven years fighting with our BOD and we are only now getting to replaceing them. we have had assesment after assesment; never a reason, it's always for unexpected expences; ask what the unexpected expences are? you get no reply.
I've lived in my home for nearly 40 years; and the last seven have been H--- L
Old 08-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #37

Great 55+

May I suggest "The Villages". Google "The Villages Florida". The prices there can be VERY high and some VERY affordable (thevillagesfsbo.com) Also, you can lease your place (they handle this) while you are traveling. If you enjoy celebrating life, being around fun people and in a community that has everything - THIS IS IT!!
You have to see this place to believe it. The Website does not show or explain half of what is there.
DH and I can hardly wait to retire and become a part of the community.

Cyndee
viewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewmaster View Post
May I suggest "The Villages". Google "The Villages Florida". The prices there can be VERY high and some VERY affordable (thevillagesfsbo.com) Also, you can lease your place (they handle this) while you are traveling. If you enjoy celebrating life, being around fun people and in a community that has everything - THIS IS IT!!
You have to see this place to believe it. The Website does not show or explain half of what is there.
DH and I can hardly wait to retire and become a part of the community.

Cyndee
Careful there; there was an article in the St Peters burgh times about this community.
do some checking before you jump in.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #39

Some communities are realy good
Some communities are good
Some are not so good
I'm not saying this community is anything; what I've said is check real good before you put in your hard earned money. try to ask a few people that have lived there awhile; you will get the real picture from them; you might even try to rent a place for 6 months or so; then make your decision; with the home prices the way they are, buying a home is a huge investment
Old 08-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #40

I'm sorry but there is no way I'll do it again. I enjoyed my neighbors and still stay in touch with a few. For me.....it's too much like communism. I already ran like a chicken from communism once....when I was 6.

If my neighbor wants to put a glass front door, is it any of my bussiness. This was not a 55+ but they wanted it to be. We are in our late 50's but still could not make reason as to what they would propose. At one point, they were looking at spending over $200,000 to dreadge a canal that was only used by 5 or 6 folks maybe 2 or 3 times A YEAR !!!

Here we have the economy in the tank, property values here is SW Fla. have dropped by 54%......think about that. Your house is worth 1/2 of what it used to be.

Very glad I was able to escape. Now we are looking for some land in North Central Fla. (read GATOR FOOTBALL) . Love the neighbors / hate the gestapo tactics.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:05 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The city of Venice, Fl. is another HOA! In the historic district all remodeling plans have to go through them and they must be of a Venetian theme and coloring! I would recommend going full time and if you don't like your neighbor, just move!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
The city of Venice, Fl. is another HOA! In the historic district all remodeling plans have to go through them and they must be of a Venetian theme and coloring! I would recommend going full time and if you don't like your neighbor, just move!
I tell my HOA that when they pay my taxes; pay for my insurance; do the maintance on my home; then they can tell me what to do with my property.
And yes I've been fighting with these retards for the fourty years I've lived here; I'm known as the troublemaker.
The average person that moves here only stays 5 years; they can't stand the HOA. It's my pasttime to agitate the HOA. These people have no common sence at all.
I'm usually only here 6 months a year; I call it 1/2 time.
It's the best way to go for me.