Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Land Lease in Florida

The DW and I are considering moving to Florida, but we are going to keep traveling in the motorhome alot! We want a base home that we can come to, but not put a bunch of our money into, just to have it set.

We are looking into the Land Lease option, where we buy the manufactured home in a 55+ community, then lease the land with a lifetime lease.

The price is very reasonable, but I was wondering if anyone out there is more knowledgeable about this and could give us a few pointers.
We do not have any specific areas in mind, and only want 55+ communities, as we have raised our kids, and grandkids, and want some peace and quiet.

Thanks for your advice ahead of time. Have a great day!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2009, 02:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
There are a bunch of these communities down there. You will want to find one that has a storage area to keep the coach at when you are there. The coast temperatures are more even than the interior; of coarse you will not be there in summer much. It is a big state and gets cold in the northern part but south of Sarasota (where we are from) rarely gets cold for more that a couple days a season.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
paz

We are considering the same thing - live in the RV 6 months a year (winter) and travel 6 months. Many campgrounds will give you a 6-month lease. The advantage to this is you don't have to pay when you're not there and there are no strings attached. The disadvantage is you may not always get the same site from year to year.

You can also join a co-op or get a site with a permanent lease. The advantage to this is the site is yours alone and you can usually make improvements (with approval) like paving and landscaping, but you are putting money into someone else's land. If you lease or join a co-op, make sure you find out what the maintenance fee is. You will have to pay that whether you are there or not.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #4

We are considering the same however the savings many times are not that great or non-existent.

You may be able to buy a lot and put your own double wide on it and pay a mortgage of $400 a month for the land and $50 a month for land tax or lease a lot and pay $400 a month for the lease and $200 a month for the maint. You still have to pay your DMV taxes, utilities and insurance so for us it is more expensive at most unless we choose one of the run down, high crime communities. Most communities don't have roads that would allow you to get near your lot or lots large enough to accomodate parking your rig so you would have to add the extra cost of a storage lot be it on site in the community or off which in my area is beween $100 and $200 a month.

55+ does not mean that there will be absolutely no kids. The law requires that there be a certain ratio of young people even in 55+ communities or they are guilty of age discrimination. All it takes is one person who knows the law and there can be a percentage (20% ?) of under 55 in the park. I know someone who just complained about this at his park and found that the park was presented with the census report showing that they did not meet the minimum and had to allow it.

Consider the historical hurricane paths also and stay away from the areas that historically have proven to be ground central during a hurricane or prone to flooding/sinkholes. It is very difficult to get and keep insurance on a dwelling here in Florida. They do drop you for making a water or storm related claim and have many exclusions requiring you to buy extra cost coverage for storms, flooding and sinkholes.

Check out all the options first, you may fall into a real deal and it may be in the direction you were first looking then again it may not but snag it when you find it.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:41 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You've gotten lots of good advice so far. Be sure when you find a place you like, to talk to other residents and get their opinion. Take any lease documents to a reputable attorney so you don't get any surprises.

Speaking as a 50 year Florida resident, this is not the cheap retirement state that it used to be nor is the quality of life as nice as it once was. Property taxes are up, property insurance rates are way up (when you can get it), utilities are up, and on and on. The only thing going down is the rate of new residents. We have a state legislature that is somewhere between inept and corrupt. So improvements won't come soon and when they do, it's bound to be costly. Having said all of that, we haven't found any better place to live than the little corner of the state we call home. Hope you find something as nice. Just go in with your eyes wide open.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #6

void at all costs a community that has a HOA or is deed restricted in any way, (code enfocement is different) or that is run by any kind of association; where I live it was perfect when I bought; but that changed when they formed an association; has been going downhill every since.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We own a half acre with a decent 1200 sq ft home and didn't pay a bunch for it. Even today you can buy something like that for $100k or so in more than a few areas of central and northern Florida. Our coach is parked next to the house, the roads are paved and we have street lights. Our taxes run about $40/month and insurance $70/month.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #8

I envy you
When i bought here;45 years ago; I was in the country; orange groves all around; two lane blacktop road went past, a car maybe every twenty minutes.
Now road has been four lanes, a steady stream of cars and houses wall to wall.
things do change----not always for the better,
Old 08-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Decision is Made

Well, the DW and I have spent the past three days in Florida, and have found out that Land Lease is not for us. After MUCH debate, and discussion with LOTS of folks, we decided that buying a simple Sticks and Brick home on OUR land was the way to go.

What it all boiled down to, was why pay someone to let my house set on his land?

This way, I control my costs, as well as never having to worry about who might come along and decide to raise the fees on a whim. Oh sure, they say that they are capped, but if you have ever heard of Eminant Domain, then I would worry about the ability of someone to take that land and tell you to move or sell that house.

I appreciate all who gave me input, as it does come in handy. I find that this forum has some very knowledgeable people, and will continue to seek advise in this format.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We bought an RV site south of Orlando. I never plan to put a park model on it. We live in our MH and when we don't use the site , we rent it out. Maintenance is $600 a year no longer includes water and taxes are $400 a year. Depending on the area house insurance can be very high.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Buckeyes,
I think you made a good decision. Like another poster said, even if you build on your own lot, pay close attention if the community has a homeowners association. With the wrong people in charge, or poorly written bylaws, those organizations can be real dictatorships.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:06 PM   #12

check the woodlands leesburg fl.34748 rte 27 lake county close to turnpike and I -75

8777-754-5338

another one 866-787-1504
savitbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by savitbound View Post
check the woodlands leesburg fl.34748 rte 27 lake county close to turnpike and I -75
If thats te one with a HOA; they couldn't give me the property.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #14

Whats a HOA?