Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2011, 07:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Lantern?

We need some lanterns!!!

Seems silly to put the awning out just to hang the lil lame camping world lights from it... it's nightime after all... Here and now, I'm a ways from the coach, in a covered gazebo / deck provided by this wonderful campground (tremont, in townsend TN, outside of smoky mtns nat'l park)

anyways... we need some light. I love the old white gas coleman lanterns, the "pump em up" drill, and especially the cool hissing sound it makes... But I worry about transporting that stuff in the basement of the bus.

I see they make em on propane these days, but that just doesn't seem the same.

Are the propane ones as cool?

Is there a reasonably safe way to transport a couple white gas colemans in a class A?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use both the liquid fuel and propane Coleman lanterns. Some of the liquid fuel lanterns are white gas/naptha and some are dual fuel, which can burn regular automotive fuel. I love them all. There is no danger in transporting any of them. I have hauled mine all over the mountains on incredibly ugly roads. The main problem is having them fall over and break the mantles. Secure them so they remain upright and you will be just fine unless the roads get really bad. Then nothing will save the mantles, but I have never had one leak.

Propane lanterns have become my favorites only because they are so convenient. No filling, no pumping. But if maximum light output is what you want, use a liquid fuel lantern with Coleman or other brand lantern fuel. In a dual fuel lantern, automotive fuel works good and is cheap. But for some reason it does not burn as bright as lantern fuel. The difference is definitely noticeable.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:49 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I just got this one from LL Bean. Haven't used it yet, but from the reviews I could find, it looked pretty good. Runs on batteries. Wanted it for the picnic table in case anyone wants to read, play cards, etc.

Black Diamond Titan Lantern: Lanterns at L.L.Bean

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coleman makes a carring case for the liquid fuel lantern. You will need the model of the lantern to see if it will fit the case. My coleman lantern is at least 40 years old and they do not make a carrying case that will fit it that I can find. I just make sure it is packed well.
A good word for Coleman, I live near Lowes Motor Speedway & a couple of years ago Coleman had a display trailer at the local mall for speed week. I took in my 40 year old lantern & they rebuilt it & would not take any money for the parts or labor. In my mind that is good customer service.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Used several over the years and for the convenience and ease of transporting, I prefer the Coleman propane lanterns. Ours came in a nice carry/storage case and we carry small propane bottles for the grill and lantern.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Lantern itself, the fuel tank is air tight, no vapor escapes unless the valve is open so it's fairly safe no matter where you stow it. The gas can with extra fuel .. I have not had a problem with in one of my not too well sealed basement compartments. NOTE: every motor home has at least one compartment open to air (The one with the propane tank) you might figure out a way to stow the standard gallon in that compartment.. A couple slabs of plywood, some screws, you can do amazing things there.

Just make sure it is vented in case of vapor build up.

I use a combination of lanterns.. Gasoline (Coleman) Propane, and electric, depending on the conditions, Last time I put out lights it was my 150 watt "Work Light" Did a grand job.

True story:

Some years ago we suffered a power blackout,, Now I did not (yet) have a generator and to be honest they were fairly uncommon,, Daughter had homework to do.. I came home from work, Went to the camper, (a 13' Scamp) graged a tub labeled LIGHTS, and came in with among other things my Coleman single mantal gas lantern,, and a propane one or two (Also single mantal)

Fired 'em up and our house was lit up like Christmas.

People would be driving down the road, you'd hear the screach of brakes, then a car in reverse, THEN they'd spot the Scamp in the back yard and figure it out.

Next day at school... Daughter turned in her homework.. Others were whining about the blackout.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #7

Just bought this LED rechargeable Coleman lantern. It isn't all that bright, but seemed be put out enough light sitting on the picnic table. It's cheap, about $14 at walmart, and has the cord in its base that's used to recharge it. Only used it once so far, but its a cheap, safe option.

wmjstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #8

I like my propane Coleman lantern and stove way better then the white gass models. Maybe if the ones we haver were about a hundred years newer it would not be so bad.
sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Guys. Earleir tonight I waklked down the road to camping world (we are currently bivouacked at 2 rivers campground in nashville) and bought a propane coleman and a couple cans of gas.

It's getting dark now, and this lantern is effective, plenty of light.

Not even thge faintest lil hissing sond though.

I think I'll shop some garage sales for a couple white gas lanterns, way cooler than this propane thing.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe your too old to hear the hissssssssss LOL. My propane still hisss's I think, yes they do and the white gas do too.

LEN