Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #1

Large GPS dash mounts

I have a large class A MH and I was recently given the Rand McNally RVND7710 gps. The unit came with a windshield mount, however when mounted on the windshield it is way to far away to reach it. Has anyone found a system that will allow you to mount it on the dash? I know the unit is heavy and the usual bean bag mounts won't support it. I wish the manufacturers would have thought of this problem before releasing it.. Can someone please help!

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
The Good News .... There is a magnet mount unit on the market that allows one to attach the magnet to the dash and then the suction cup part of the windshield mount attaches to a shiny smooth piece of circular metal that comes with the magnet and that lets the unit be placed in front of and comfortable to the driver.

The bad News ..... I don't remember who manufactured it but they were in the RV accessory aisle of a DIY store here in town.

Denise and Dennis Dalla-Vicenza Co-pilot Mizzie
Gracie a Winnebago 29 RQ +
George a Suzuki Toad
(Co-pilots emeritus Furb, Izzy & Mikkael)
Cherry Creek British Columbia
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
ToniDi, WOW!, what a nice gift. Have fun with it. Don't know how to solve your problem but just wish I had your problem. Noooo, just yanking your chain but Very Nice Gift anyway.
Lynda & Ronny Sarasota, Florida
2005 DutchStar DP 3809
Sammy (Brussels Griffon\Maltese)
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tony, we install ours by turning the base and attaching it to the driver's side window.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
This is the way I place ours on the bean bag mount.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-03-28 16.47.06.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	19377
Jeff & Elaine
2015 Thor Challenger 37GT
Eastern North Carolina
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is one available that has a adhesive back and a metal disc on top for the suction cup. I have one that works well only because I can rest the GPS on a hump on the dash. Otherwise the GPS is just too heavy
2012 Itasca Meridian 42E, Roadmaster Tow System, Unified Brakes on Toad
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. US Army Armor. Ret
Finhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
chickenman: got a good view of the gps from the driver's seat? love to see the floorplan...
1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I have the similar Magellan and didn't like the mount. It was too large and moved around too much. I bought an aftermarket window suction mount and mounted on the passenger's side window where my wife can operate it. It could easily be mounted on the driver's side window too.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #9

I may have a solution for you, will know in a week or so.

I am replacing my dead OEM GPS on my Vectra with the 7710. In my cab the old GPS was an Alpine DVD unit in the overhead and a 6.5" monitor mounted on my dash. I think I've found a way to mount the 7710 in the flat spot where the old monitor stood. It involves a round ball base for the dash, another for the GPS (I'll call it the 'backplate' - the holder part that the GPS snaps in to and has the stylus on the back), and a double-socket arm between the two.

I went here RAM Mounting Systems, Inc. and after looking for a while and taking some measurements I've ordered the following parts:

RAM-B-202 Round base 1" ball AMP hole pattern
RAM-B-201-C Long Double Socket Arm for 1" ball bases
RAM-B-238 Diamond base with 1" ball

I have measured and believe the diamond base will fit nicely into the removable backplate that holds the 7710. I'll either have to glue or more likely drill/countersink a couple small holes in the backplate to mount the diamond base. The larger round base will fit my dash and the double-socket arm should give me a wide range of motion.

Warning: first, I have the parts on order as I post this, but it will be a week before I get them to know for sure if this will work. Second, attaching the diamond base to the backplate will make it unusable in the suction mount while the diamond base is attached.

I'll post more when I get the parts and see if it works out, but with the link you might find some options for you.
Ed & Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to rickjmiv
Where did you get this specific Bean Bag mount? I have the same issue being discussed and this looks like a nice solution.
Rick & JoAnne Morgan
2011 Winnebago Adventurer 35P
2010 Honda Fit
rickjmiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Walk into any Best Buy, you'll find several options. I have the same GPS unit and found a thin 'rubber' mat, maybe 5" by 6 or 7", with a 'sticky' silicone or rubber on the bottom side that keeps it in place (but is easily removable should you want to) and a smooth disc in the center that the GPS mount sticks to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS mount.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	19542  
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #12
I had a particular problem in that the dash in front of the driver was angled down at a rather steep angle.

I took a piece of 1/4" plexi-glass about 6"x9" and heated it about 3" from the end making an angled piece about 6 x 6 & 3 x 6. I heated it initially with a hair dryer, then finally, very carefully on the stove top over a burner. I finally got it the correct angle, sanded the corners and edges, then pasted it to the dash with double stick foam tape. It works pretty good!
Traveling America In
"God's Grace"
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #13
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tony, try these guys: Garmin GPS, XM, Sirius, Magellan GPS, Lowrance GPS, TomTom GPS, MIO GPS & RAM GPS Mount Authorized Dealer at MountGuys.com
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
I posted my new mount with photos in the Technology section.

Large GPS RV7710 Dash Mount Mod

Ed & Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote

dash, gps