Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

Large slide out problem

I have a 2005 Fleetwood Bounder.
Recently my large slide out stalled when it was about 6 inches from being completely back to the RV. This has happened before but I have always been able to toggle it back and forth and eventually get it into place.
This time however when it stopped I was unable to move it back or forward and I therefore concluded that the motor had finally burned out.
Today I receive my new motor PN 523900.
I took off the old motor and connected my new motor. the motor is not turning when the switch is thrown. I have tried moving the lock on the motor to both positions but still nothing. I even then put the old motor back on and still nothing. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be. The bedroom slide is working just fine so I feel confident that the battery has sufficient charge and that the switch inside the RV is not burned out as it is a toggle style switch between the both slides. Is there anything else in that circuit between the battery and the switch?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #2

What is the voltage at motor?

Old 08-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #3

Can you tell me step by step how to check the voltage at the motor. I have a volt meter but not sure how to use it

Thanks
Old 08-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #4

Remove the 2 wire connector at the slide motor, insert a meter lead into each of the sockets of the coach side connector it does not matter which lead goes into what socket. Set your multi meter to dc volts and have someone activate the slide switch. Make sure the ignition is on or engine running, whatever the condition is that is required to extend/retract the slide. Do you measure 12 vdc?
With the motor connector connected have someone activate the extend/retract switch. Does the Motor click? That would be the brake on the motor releasing. If you have voltage and the motor clicks you may have a mechanical issue. The slide motors have a current limiter. When the slide motor draws to much current the current to the motor is stopped preventing damage.
I don't know if you have the same setup as mine. My Bounder has a relay for each slide. Mine are located on a shelf above the propane tank. The relays have a fuse on them. The connectors are also interchangeable. If you have the same setup check the fuses. If the fuses are good swap the connectors. If the problem moves you have a bad relay or wiring.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #5

Ok. I'm getting zero volts on the meter. I found the 3 amp fuse under the hood was blown and I thought my problem was solved. I changed out the fuse but still no power at the meter. Is there something else on that same circuit like a relay that I can check/replace?
Old 08-13-2016, 05:43 AM   #6

Did you pull switch out and check voltage coming in and leaving?
Old 08-13-2016, 07:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricairns View Post
Ok. I'm getting zero volts on the meter. I found the 3 amp fuse under the hood was blown and I thought my problem was solved. I changed out the fuse but still no power at the meter. Is there something else on that same circuit like a relay that I can check/replace?
The slide relays in my 2008 Bounder 35E are located on a shelf above the propane tank, see picture below. They each have a fuse on the top. If the fuses are good swap the connector and see if the problem moves to the bedroom slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160813_065631.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	135787  
Old 08-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #8

I agreed that the relay is most likely the issue. However finding the relay has proved to be impossible so far. I have searched everywhere that people have suggested on line but have not been able to locate then yet. I have looked above propane tank, under dash by the steering wheel, under dash by the pedals, under the entry steps and in the bedroom and under the hood. Can anyone suggest where these relays may be hiding.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #9

I'll check this afternoon. But the bedroom slide is working just fine so at least I know there is power at the switch
Old 08-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #10

Update.

I checked out both of the switches and I am getting power to both. therefore my conclusion is that some where between the switch and the motor, there must be a relay or fuse. Can anyone help me to locate it..

Thanks

Tags
slide, slide out