Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2016, 01:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
How you intend to use it and where you want to take it are critical in narrowing the field. You'll make yourself crazy looking at everything.
That's one of the reasons I want to go back and see some in person... I AM driving myself nuts looking online. I agree that we need to decide how it's to be used and both of us need to agree!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Anytime, other than the Pomona big RV Show, where stores like Giant or Mike Thompsons put on their own "show" there has been a salesman with us the whole time. Sometimes if they are busy and realize you are just a looky loo, they will leave you alone and let you look leisurely.

Like Steve posted earlier before we bought we sat down and wrote out the pros/cons of each type of RV. Then once we decided what we wanted, which went back/forth several times, we did the same thing with Brands/Models/Pricing. It took a little longer but kept us from the "shinny object" impulse buying, we knew our prices, and ended up with a MH that we love rather than something that was just ok. They all look nice when you see them separately. So do like you're doing and it will pay off down the road.
OK.... I'll plan on Mr Salesman... However they are not getting me in their little office cubicle to try to do the whole hard sell on me or passing me off to their Manager.... So not dealing with that at this point of our looking!

Old 05-27-2016, 05:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink toaster View Post

I've read that people who pick up and move a lot should get a motor home and people who are going to go somewhere and park should get a trailer/5th wheel. (I also have my parents in my ear saying a motorhome is better... they started out with trailers when I was little... graduated to a converted van/class b and eventually ended up with a class c... well... I think this is their 3rd class c?)

There is some truth to that. A MH is an easy set-up and easy to get back on the road. We sometimes travel,with friends that have a TT, we are out sipping our cocktails, while they are still leveling the trailer. There is an advantage also to being able to access the bathroom and kitchen while on the road. But again, it all depends on how you intend to use it.

We visit National Parks with the grandkids, so it needed to be <35' and hold enough fresh water etc to get us through some time. We also like nice RV parks when we decide to go sightseeing rather than camping, so we wanted it to fit into any of those restrictions. We ended up with a 30' class A Winnebago. Perfect for us, hope you find your perfect home away from home.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #18

Two quick additions. We were told by the SD area Newmar dealer that Richardson's only had Newmar's because Holland RV had refused to bring units to a Pomona show, but Richardson's would if they could carry them. I was also told by a Richardson's salesman that they weren't selling enough to keep Newmar happy. Secondly, I often hear it said that 5'ers take longer to set-up/break camp. Was the case when we had our 26' Class C with no slides & no dinghy. As I watch people proficient with their rigs, factoring in hooking up the dinghy, I doubt if there's really much difference.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:43 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Regardless of the type (towable or MH) set-up is always a pain, for that reason we schedule in two night stays at a minimum. Floor plans should be at the top of your list, if it doesn't work well, you will never feel at home.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #20

Sooooooo I'm more confused than ever!

I know we REALLY need to come up with something other then "go the national parks and state parks and possibly the beach." But not having had an RV makes it hard to really, truly know how we'll end up using it!

We spend time looking at Jayco's (Menifee) then the easiest thing was to go to Mike Thompson's and Giant in Colton. We actually lucked out at Mike Thompson's and wandered around looking at various B's, C's and 5th Wheels. We were just taking one final look in a fifth wheel we liked when we got snagged by a salesman! At Giant we got about 1/2 way through looking when someone musta told someone else we were out there cuz a salesman snatched us up there too! Fortunately didn't get stuck with the pressure at the end of either! Phew!

Totally confused on what we need/want still, though! Some of those smaller fifth wheels are Nice! While we liked the Jayco Melborne Class B.... we both worry it will be too small if stuck in it during a rainy weekend like someone mentioned upthread!

The more I think about it, the more I wonder about if the fifth wheel wouldn't be the more practical way to go for now... that way the truck serves more purposes (tow vehicle, sight seeing vehicle, 2nd vehicle as needed, hauling vehicle as needed.) Whereas an A, B, or C will just be parked in the back yard, unused between trips. (AND will require the purchase of a small towable car at some point for sight seeing while out.)
Old 06-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Over a year ago, when I was looking to buy a Winnebago, I checked the Yelp and other ratings of some of the dealers you mentioned. (One no longer is a Winnebago dealer, I might add.) I was not impressed with the ratings that were given them. You may want to check each one's ratings before you head out.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
Over a year ago, when I was looking to buy a Winnebago, I checked the Yelp and other ratings of some of the dealers you mentioned. (One no longer is a Winnebago dealer, I might add.) I was not impressed with the ratings that were given them. You may want to check each one's ratings before you head out.
I'm less concerned with customer reviews right now, as we are just in the looking phase. But ya.... I've seen some really bad reviews on some of the closer dealerships.....
Old 06-01-2016, 05:29 PM   #23

Don't put all your faith in the 'Wynns'. They are not the typical casual RVers. They're a bigt cutsey and overboard. There are other blog sites for RVers that you could more closely relate to.

As far as siteseeing. If you're looking at a motorhome, most tow a car behind for their siteseeing. Especially if you want to visit national parks, parking space is a premium.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #24

Not going to make this any easier, but a comment made necessitates I at least bring it up. When buying a boat, you buy the dealer. I take the same position when it comes to RV's. When we retired out of Temecula, knowing I wouldn't be getting it serviced in town, we used the Internet to get exactly the coach we wanted at a great price. (Brought in from Savannah, Georgia, picked up at Bakersfield.). I had two very bad experiences with the local dealer of our desired coach at the service department with our previous coach. I used the Murrieta dealer to check out coaches, but no way, no way would I purchase one from them. So, you really need to research the service department. Having said that, there are a couple of very good mobile RV repair guys in the Temecula / Corona area. And since we are currently building a much smaller place in Murrieta to use as a home base, I will get all of my motorhome servicing done at Redlands Truck & RV. Terrific place. Don't think they do 5'ers. I suggest that you take a weekend or two, stroll around Pechanga RV resort. Talk to RV owners about everything about their rigs. Might even want to drive around local neighborhoods & ask fifth wheel owners where they get it serviced. A great RV experience can be destroyed by a bad service department.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink toaster View Post
Sooooooo I'm more confused than ever!

I know we REALLY need to come up with something other then "go the national parks and state parks and possibly the beach." But not having had an RV makes it hard to really, truly know how we'll end up using it!

I know exactly how you feel! It can be overwhelming. We bought our RV the day I told my DH that I was done and wouldn't look at another RV. We were just not going to get one. He wanted to look at just one more. I acquiesced, we didn't get the one he wanted to look at, we got the one next to it.

How you think you will use an RV may end up being very different than how you actually use the RV once you get it. We had no RVing experience before we bought ours, so a few things really drove our selection:

How we "thought" we wanted to use it. (It's all you know at this point, really), turns out we use it that way maybe 10% of the time, and we use it many other ways, we do almost all of our traveling in it, it's home, way more comfy than a hotel. Also use it to visit the kids, gives us our own space and gives them privacy, so we can visit longer.

How comfortable we were with moving it around (do we tow it, or do we drive it?) DH decided after a year or so of shopping and talking to folks that he didn't want to tow the house. I think the fact that he also didn't want to always be driving a truck around factored into that as well. You just need to figure out if that is or isn't an issue for you.

Our impression of how easy to set-up and break-down, we didn't want to she spending a lot of time getting ready to enjoy after spending 6-8-10 hours on the road getting there and wanted to be able to pick up and leave quickly. I say impression, because I imagine once you get used to something it gets easy and second nature. All we had was our impressions from folks we talked to.

How much access did we want to the house on the road, did we want to be able to use the bathroom without finding a rest stop or going outside (is it raining? Wind?)? Grab lunch etc.

AND then really important! Did we feel like we're were home when we were inside. Spend time inside the RVs. I mean lots of time. Sit on the couch for awhile, stand in the showers, lie on the beds. Where's the TV? Is it in a comfortable spot for you? How does the kitchen feel?

This worked for us. Good luck in your search.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
AND then really important! Did we feel like we're were home when we were inside. Spend time inside the RVs. I mean lots of time. Sit on the couch for awhile, stand in the showers, lie on the beds. Where's the TV? Is it in a comfortable spot for you? How does the kitchen feel?
Lots of good suggestions but the above-mentioned is VERY important.

If a salesperson is hovering over you tell him you will not even consider his dealership is he keeps following you. When you have questions you'll come to HIM. That you want to spend some time in it by yourselves getting the 'feel' of it.

Sit in the options. Are they comfortable and within TV viewing? Visually place your items in the cabinets - bath and kitchen, and closets. Only you know how much room you need. If either of you is tall, definitely see if you have enough head room and yes, stand in the shower and move your arms and sit on the toilet (is there enough leg room?).

You will also find that if you're looking for a particular size/model number, most dealers don't carry every one. You'll just have to find a similar one by the same manufacturer so you can judge the workmanship in general and visualize the one model you're really interested in.

Study carefully how the drawers are made. If they're stapled, they'll soon fall apart. How does the trim fit? Are there gaps or poor cuts? Test the doors. Do they close solidly? Is it easy to reach the outside sewer connections without having to crawl underneath? Having the underside enclosed is another plus for cold temperatures.

You might also make a list of things you especially want to look at so you don't forget to do so when you're actually in one.

Yes, it can be overwhelming. We've all been through it. The best is to perhaps narrow it down by one or two quality manufacturers then choose the floorplan from what they have to offer. A good floorplan isn't good if the unit around it gives you problems.

For what it's worth, we've had a travel trailer and found the lack of storage very limiting and it wasn't fun driving it on the highways. We then full-timed in a 33' 5th wheel for 8 years and loved it but hated to drive the big truck around all the time. Friends got us hooked on 4-wheeling and we then switched to a 40' motorhome pulling the Jeep. That was our favorite...loved everything about it - convenience, driving, views from the front window, storage. We used it for an additional 8 years of full-timing.

I will add that when we got the 5th wheel and motorhome we purposely got them both with only two slideouts and both on the driver's side. 90% of our stays were in public parks (yes, the 40' fit), and most parks have trees. We didn't want to have to maneuver the slides in between a lot of trees. Two slides were plenty for us. Keep in mind that slides only give you more floor space. They most often take away from storage space and accessibility to the outside storage bays.

twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent