Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #43

I drove my 5er 250 of a 300 mile trip with mine up. Some lady in a truck at a stop sign yelled at me. Me gots 75 mph bat wings.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #44

I think everyone's done this. I have yet too but there is a little rip in the top of the passengers chair that took a glancing blow from the slide out from the previous owner.

My problem is leaving stuff in the way off the slide outs when closing them I've crushed a sneaker, cell phone charger, wooden steering wheel cover, amongst other things. It's a good thing the dogs move fast around here I've done my share of trim repair.

Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by corjaguar View Post
First time.......I forgot to lower the the batwing antenna, after seeing other people do this exact thing, and saying to myself......self!.... don't to forget to put the antenna away before we leave, will s*%# happens.
I guess those reminders you hang from the crank are not such bad ideas.
Hi corjaguar,
Labeled wooden clothes pin clipped to ignition key or hangs from antenna crank depending whether batwing is up or stowed. It's worked so far. Another wooden clothes pin om a lanyard fits perfectly under the air brake button.
Tom C
Old 08-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #46

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I drove my 5er 250 of a 300 mile trip with mine up. Some lady in a truck at a stop sign yelled at me. Me gots 75 mph bat wings.

Wish i was as lucky Dunner,I got about 30m miles out of mine was so upset about my fridge going out forgot to put my Batwing down,on way to dealership.
Dont think they make Batwings that are Freeway Overpass Proof do
they, looked like it was shot off with a shotgun.No damage to roof tho. But made me nervous when the crank fell in my lap at 65 mph.
Wife told me boy honey when you do something you sure do it right.
Guess it doesnt count when she took the cabinet door off with slideout ooops !!!!!!!!!! Or chrushed her own purse with the slideout extending outwards ooops !!!!!!!!!!!!! But knock on wood we both have grazed the seat but havent taken anything out yet thank god....: ) were good at being human sure there be more blunders ill be sure and tell ya, we'll probably give everyone some laughs im not doing bad for being human and having RVS for over 20 yrs sure theres heck of alot more ive forgotten we all have our moments 'If the world was perfect it would not turn' .
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #47

A good trick is to hand your ignition key on the bat wing raiser/lower. Can't tell you how many times I have sat down and couldn't find the keys. Now we have a printed checklist and put the keys under it. Senior moments adverted.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #48

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
A good trick is to hand your ignition key on the bat wing raiser/lower. Can't tell you how many times I have sat down and couldn't find the keys. Now we have a printed checklist and put the keys under it. Senior moments adverted.
Good idea, have to remember that when i get it back on thurs from shop.
Thats when i have to replace batwing and poles and mount
still bothers me
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
After checking out new owners of thousands of motorhomes, I was leaving Skideaway Island State Park in Savannah when a guy runs out to the middle of the road waving frantically. What is his problem my wife asks? It's not his problem it's mine I said.
i knew immediately, that the antenna was up. As soon as I got home I went to WalMart and bought a key blank for the motorhome. I did not have them cut it. I put a red streamer on it and I put it in the ign. switch each time I crank up the antenna. 5 years and no more problems with the ant. left up.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #50
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wrap my CB mic cord around the gear shift. This works for me with the antenna and sat dish.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomthepilot View Post
Hi corjaguar,
Labeled wooden clothes pin clipped to ignition key or hangs from antenna crank depending whether batwing is up or stowed. It's worked so far. Another wooden clothes pin om a lanyard fits perfectly under the air brake button.
Tom C

Tom

Good idea........will definitely do that........even though we very rarely use the batwing.....Direct tv....that was the reason I never though about it.....but with a little reminder never hurt.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #52

That reminds me........the reason I wouldn't hang my keys on the crank.......I always keep my keys with me and on that same key ring, I have the keys to the entry door.

You guessed it, about 5 years ago, I locked my keys to the coach and the entry door....had to call a locksmith, luckly the guy came within 20 minutes and it didn't cost me anything....I never leave the coach without my car/coach/entry key. I know, hide a key....well I did that and somehow, I had it taped to something in the engine compartment, just for the heck of it, I couldn't find the key.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #53

That's why I said the ignition key. I have it on a second key ring. It is also not good for the ignition switch to have a large amount of weight on the keyring (so I am told.).
Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrsandman View Post
I do not have a class A, but I wonder why, with all the technology and the price of the RVs, can't a simple position sensor (switch) be installed on the seat track to allow slide movement ONLY if the seat is moved out of the way? I know its all about the bottom line but even a warning light at the slide switch would be nice.
Our winnebago seat will not go back enouigh to create that problem....I can leave the seat all the way back and it won't interfer with the slide.....I guess some coach builders are getting it right. It seems simple enough....shorten the slide 10 inches so it won't get in the way.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #55

I have a bright blue clothes pin that goes on the crank or the ignition key socket and one on the slide key switch that also goes on the key socket also.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack Fan View Post
I'll share a "OOOPS" but it doesn't pertain the the slide. I've had one of those too though.

Latest was while replacing flush valve on toilet. I unbolted the toilet and propped it up on a few pieces of 2x4 scraps, so I could get to the hose connections on the flush valve to unhook it. As I was moving the toilet one of the 2x4 scraps fell into the floor drain and all the way down into the black tank. The scrap piece was shaped like a cigerette pack and would only go in or come out one way. Since it wasn't a straight shot down to the black tank, fishing it out was not to much of an option. I tried floating it out by filling the tank, and getting it to go out the drain by filling. Finally after filling the tank full 3 times it worked it's way into the pipe at the right angle and made it's way out. Fortunately the tank only had a little water and chemical in it when the block fell in.

I gotta tell you I was pretty relieved, knowing that hunk of wood could cause some serious problems if it stayed in. Especially if it clogged the tank to the point that dropping the tank was the only option to get it out.

This just came to me......The whole scenario appeared in a movie....remember the movie RV with Robbin Williams when he was in the campground and he was trying to make a sewer connection????????.