Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #15

We know it's NOT a refer fire - as pointed out the refer vents are forward of the damage.

I am doubting AH, but I can't tell where it's mounted in this rig. I don't see the exhaust pipe on either side. Anyone know where the AH is mounted on this model?

*** On further inspection what might look like an AH exhaust pipe is on the ground just in front of the driver-side drive tire. If so, the damage is aft of that location and would rule out AH. ***

Garykd has a likely source of origin due to max damage in the left rear area. That would not be a AH location.

The theory of an elec space heater being left on in the bedroom area (left rear?) sure holds highest probably - thus far

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post

The theory of an elec space heater being left on in the bedroom area (left rear?) sure holds highest probably - thus far

As I mentioned, it was 3rd hand knowledge, but we were there that day and there was no reason (in my thoughts anyway) that someone would need a space heater on as it was quite warm that day.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
We heard it was a curling iron/hair straightener that caused the fire.
Campbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbuds View Post
We heard it was a curling iron/hair straightener that caused the fire.
Now that makes sense. Those things get REALLY hot.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #19

I know the American Eagle camped beside of it got considerable damage also. We know them.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
My exit window would have been in the heart of that fire ...time to use the front door!
I have a private door in the bedroom
Old 03-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #21

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post

I am doubting AH, but I can't tell where it's mounted in this rig. I don't see the exhaust pipe on either side. Anyone know where the AH is mounted on this model?
I think that the Aqua-Hot on this model looks like photo below, which is located just ahead of the rear wheels on the passenger side. The door for that bay is closed in the series of photos in this thread.

In the photo that was posted on the other thread, I think I see the plastic panel that covers the Aqua-Hot on the ground near the picnic table.

- Roger Berke -
http://www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiffin3.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	18510  
Old 03-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Doesn't look like enough damage on the passenger side to have started there.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #23

I am at Lazydays now. Took a maintenance class today and got a chance to ask the instructor about the fire.

It seems the owner of the RV had made wooden leveling pads. He took them out and stacked them up just beneath (?) the AquaHot. I guess he forgot them, but he left them there and went to bed. The AquaHot couldn't breathe (?) properly AND heated up the wood to the burning point. It was literally seconds from the time the first flames were seen until the RV was a total inferno.

Now, I don't even know what an AquaHot really is, so if this doesn't make sense, it's my fault. It appears that the AquaHot started the fire due to being blocked by or too close to some pieces of old dry wood. I believe the owner did have insurance anyway, and the RV was not used for fulltiming, and no one was hurt. Amen.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Here are a couple more pictures of the fire.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Special View Post
Here are a couple more pictures of the fire.

I guess we have to buy a Tiffin to access your photos.

Don
Old 03-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Fires just scare me to death. We are taking a month long trip in our coach in June. Passengers will be myself 45 male, my partner 48 male , our daughter and her best friend 17 & 18, and my mother who is 74. Before we even set out we are going over the plans for fires, accidents on highway and any other situation that might arise , makes me nervous just having one exit door in the coach. The one good thing is that all of our windows are large slide ones and we can pile out of them easily if need be.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #27
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye

I guess we have to buy a Tiffin to access your photos.

Don
Show me the beef.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTourVan View Post
As I mentioned, it was 3rd hand knowledge, but we were there that day and there was no reason (in my thoughts anyway) that someone would need a space heater on as it was quite warm that day.
Since it appears the cause has been determined (I store my leveling blocks well away from heat sources. (Of course that's cause the only plalces I have to stuff 'em are well away from heat sources). But to answer your statement.

You know the joke about the "Southern Gentelman" who died and went to heaven.. Kept complaining how cold it was.. Finally said "Don't you have any place warmer".. As it turns out St. Peter did know of a warmer place.

Some time later he's down auditing the Devil's books, and asks: What about that southern genteman I sent you?

The devil says nothign, Just holds up one Finger in the universal signal of "One moment please" walks over opens the great door, there is a wave of heat and a sulfur smell and a short time later a voice is heard from way in the back "CLOSE THE DOOR... I FEEL A DRAFT!"

That is a joke.. the not funny part is I do know people like that. 92 and they have to have it warmer.