Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
just for your info. general rv is opening store in tampa.
safe travles bob,linda & missy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #16

Take a look at a general RV

We have a home in Michigan and Florida. We checked out Lazy Days. Nothing negative to say, but we have bought two class As from General RV. They have locations in Michigan, but also Tampa. They are Family Owned. They beat Lazy Days price and there service has been incredible.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:18 PM   #17

I think the back end of Lazy Days and all the services they can provide is pretty awesome as is the selection there. On the sales side they leave a lot to be desired IMO...I think they go through salesmen like you know what through the proverbial goose. The one I ended up with was marking time, never followed up and I (as a newbie) knew a lot more about the model we were considering than he did. Prices were high by about 8% after negotiation. A lot of $$. We ended up buying the same coach elsewhere from some folks who went out of their way to earn my business.
That said...with so many salespeople...it isn't hard to find a bad one...but I'm sure some great ones work there too. The whole thing feels too much like one of those "free vacation if you sit through out sales presentation script" deals...but that wouldn't stop me from buying there if the product and price were right. Nice to have a place that CAN do anything to fix/enhance your RV.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I think the back end of Lazy Days and all the services they can provide is pretty awesome as is the selection there. On the sales side they leave a lot to be desired IMO...I think they go through salesmen like you know what through the proverbial goose. The one I ended up with was marking time, never followed up and I (as a newbie) knew a lot more about the model we were considering than he did. Prices were high by about 8% after negotiation. A lot of $$. We ended up buying the same coach elsewhere from some folks who went out of their way to earn my business.
That said...with so many salespeople...it isn't hard to find a bad one...but I'm sure some great ones work there too. The whole thing feels too much like one of those "free vacation if you sit through out sales presentation script" deals...but that wouldn't stop me from buying there if the product and price were right. Nice to have a place that CAN do anything to fix/enhance your RV.

It's still possible to have a good sales/PDI/Service experience at Lazy Days but it's not as automatic as it once was. Don Wallace, the founder of Lazy Days, was the strong hand at the helm until the mid 2000s. Don was a dirt poor kid from the coal fields of Southwest VA and Northeast TN. He farmed for a period after high school before starting a tiny "camping trailer" business with his dad and brother, on a 1/2 acre lot on US41 in Tampa. It was largely his vision that built the place into the juggernaut it was before the downturn.

He had established an ESOP for his employees and when he engineered the buyout at the top of the RV market, many LD employees went from working stiffs to millionaires over night.

The skeleton of what he built is still there but it's a shadow of what it once was.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:29 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have bought a brand new Monaco Diplomat from Lazy days in Tampa.

We bought it cash, but made the mistake that we parted with the money before Lazy Days started rectifying the VERY long list of things that was missing or broken.

Once they had the money in their bank account we received zero service. We stayed at their forecourt for a whole month waiting to have things replaced/repaired and if I say they took care of 5% I am being very generous. This wasn't because of parts they could not get or didn't not have. It was because they just didn't care about us once they had been paid.

Don't part with your money until they have given you everything you was promised.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmilewsk View Post
We have a home in Michigan and Florida. We checked out Lazy Days. Nothing negative to say, but we have bought two class As from General RV. They have locations in Michigan, but also Tampa. They are Family Owned. They beat Lazy Days price and there service has been incredible.
They're not opening until fall, 2014. Drove by it the other day. The facility is under construction at this time.
Old 06-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #21

We went to LD 3 years ago. I asked how much for their motor home and how much for are trade in. They would tell us our payment a month and nothing else. We walked.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:28 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Purchased a 2012 used Winnebago from LD last year. Stayed 8 days in their campground till punch list was complete. They checked with us everyday to see if we had found any new problems. I was impressed with the service and would do business with them again. Greg Dallied our salesman was excellent and followed up on any problems we encountered.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpj View Post
Again, Thanks for all your responses. We live in N.C. and are going down to look at what they have. Pretty slim pickings around here for the models we are looking at. Can't hurt, only a little gas spent to see what they in person.
Thanks again.
I'm in the same boat. Thought about riding down there myself just to look around. I have been to both Tom Johnson Camping Centers and really liked the way I was treated. I'm hoping the right coach turns up at one of their locations, but until then, I'm looking coast to coast.

Please update us with your experience if you make the trip to Tampa.
bluegrassrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #24

American Coach Owners Club
I was at LD"s yesterday as a matter of fact strictly to look at used DP's as I begin to plan on upgrading. The salesman spent two hours with us as we looked at literally a couple of dozens coaches. He was pretty knowledgable about operating system's as I quizzed him on different items several times additionally never once did I feel pressured by him. All the units were clean and detailed, except two, and he warned us before we went in the units that they were new arrivals and had not been cleaned. We never talked pricing and based on my research they were a little high on some of their units asking price but I know from past experience they will deal, you just have to know what your are bargaining for and be prepared be tough.

On my Eagle when bought there I had no problem getting items repaired before taking possesion and also when I went back in that 30 day warranty period I was treated very well and the minor repairs and adjustment done quickly. Just my experience.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #25

Last year I got my search down to 2 dealerships, Lazy Days out of Tampa and Camping World out of NY. I drove them both crazy with my demands !! Ended up getting my Adventurer from Lazy Days. They delivered it to me last September. I live in Mass ! Last month we took a couple weeks and drove down there. I needed a couple things straightend out and their service dept took good care of me. I would recommend them.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought a new DP in 2008 and a used DP in March 2014, very please with both deals and sales experience. have been back for service and happy with that also.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #27
tpj

Spartan Chassis
Lazydays RV

We got to LD's on Monday past. Spent 2 day looking at 2 RV's there. The 1st was not so good, so the Salesman went and talked to his Finance guy and he came back with another coach that fit our budget. We took alot of time looking at it and it was ever so close to what we were looking for. But we decided not to jump on something that was close. We will keep looking. it is out there someplace and we will find it. I have nothing but praise for our Salesman (Joe Myers). He treated us as family and did all he could to see we were taking care of the whole time we were there. All the people we dealt with were excellent to work with. If they find what we are looking for, we will buy from them in a heart beat.
Thanks for everyones input. I love this site. Everyone is so family and looking out for each other. Again thanks.