Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Leak over slide in heavy rains? Accumulated water in slide topper

So I have been parked in North Carolina for the past week. We have had pretty continuous rains. I have had the coach out in rain, but never this heavy....or continuos rain for this long, so I noticed a drip coming from the railing over the dinette......which is in the large slide. I went out to take a look, and the only thing I noticed was there was so much accumulated water in the slide topper, it was bowed quite a bit, and I could see water running over the edge, and some dripping on the slide. I have never observed a leak before in this area, and the coach is a new 2015 I've had 9 month. So do you think it was a case of the slide seal just being overwhelmed by so much rain, or should the slide seals be able to handle just about anything?
Also, in these cases of weather, does anyone/ or is it common practice to empty the accumulated water off those toppers?
Thanks in advance for the advice!

Cheers, Tom

Ps......parked at Mountain Falls RV Resort.......wonderful place!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The slide topper has nothing to do with leak prevention - its basic purpose is to keep debris off the top of the slide. The toppers do tend to accumulate water, but the slide roof and seals are supposed to be waterproof regardless. In other words, even if you had no topper, the slide should not leak.

Since yours is a 2015, it should be under warranty and you can return it to a dealer to have the problem corrected.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #3

Yep, I guess that makes perfect sense.......it is under warranty.....another trip to CW I suppose. Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:42 PM   #4

In the meantime, how level are you? It would help if you could tilt a small bit outward so that water doesn't run directly toward you. I think this might be your problem.

Also if a lot water is accumulating we've seen folks put a beach ball under the topper to raise it in order for water to run off. Inflate it just enough to fit under the topper. If the topper is installed correctly there shouldn't be a large drop in it.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
X2...we've had three episodes of 4-5' rainfall over 36 hours here in Destin in the last 20 days. Have kept the coach slightly lower in front to allow drainage of off the slides.

And by all means, get it into CW and be pushy...water leaks aren't good things if delaying the fix.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:17 PM   #6

Thanks, yes checked level, and dropped the left side half a bubble......partially retracted the slide, and reached up with paper towels and wiped up all the water. While I was doing that, felt along the seal....it seemed liked it was laying flat against the top of the slide. Will check again tomorrow in the daylight, and the rain is supposed to subside tomorrow luckily seems like the water was sitting up on the slide top, so hopefully none really dripped anywhere else.

Again, thanks for all the replies.....vacation is still in tact and really enjoying scenery here in NC!
Old 11-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Even homes will leak in down pours. A portable home on wheels with extending walls will too. The rain on the East coast started here in TX. We've gotten just 10" in 3 rains. Minor leaks. I wrap a spongee cord around the arm on the slide rollers to keep the awning material tight, especially in winds to reduce wear and noise. In high winds put the slides in.
Slightly off level helps water drainage.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #8

I use a couple of blow up swim noodles to tent up my slide awning from sagging.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #9

Yes, thanks all......I did have a feeling it was simply the amount of rain, and maybe position of the coach. I don't carry a ladder tall enough to inspect the slide seal from the outside. But I have inspected the seal from the inside and don't see any big gaps or cuts. I will have it checked though next time I take it in

Thanks
Old 11-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had the same issue last winter, a leak in the same exact spot. I got up on a ladder and could see a low point in the middle of the top of the slide, where water puddled and found its way past the inside frame of the slide roof. If Fleetwood had sealed the slide roof correctly, this wouldn't have been an issue. I didn't want a repeat occurrence, so when the weather cleared, I pulled the slide topper off to gain access to the slide roof. I then applied a bead of Dicor sealant along the edge of the slide roof frame. Seems to have taken care of it. Your coach is much newer than mine, so I would definitely ask the manufacturer to add sealant to the same area.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
The slide leaks at the point where the inside frame is mounted to the slide. The frame is the part inside you Motorhome that butts up against the Motorhome wall when the slide is all the way out. Move the slide in for about 10-12 inches and spray some clear Flex seal behind the frame to stop any leaking.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #12

Yes, the slide frame......that must be it, because I had lots of water on the top on the slide, and taking a look, I don't see any real sealant on the frame wall at all. Thanks guys, I think this will be a simple fix!
Cheers,
Tom
Old 11-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytlfamily View Post
I don't see any real sealant on the frame wall at all. Thanks guys, I think this will be a simple fix!

I didn't either, which bothered me.

I tried applying Dicor from the inside of the coach with the slide closed, but I couldn't fit my caulking gun between the top of the slide and the coach ceiling. Even it it would have fit, I would have needed monkey arms and snake eyes to see and apply it. I ended up pulling the slide topper off to get to the area so that I could do it properly from outside.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:28 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Climb up on the roof and sweep the water off the slide toppers.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide, water