Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbracing60 View Post
SarahW, you just happen to be the type of spotter that I like, the only thing I ask of my DW when I am backing is to keep an eye on the back of the coach, to make sure I haven't mis-judged, and to warn me if I get it too close to anything . Backing takes practice, just like most everything else in life. Everyone has to get used to their rv and get accustomed to the length, wheelbase, and overhang. Practice may not make you perfect but over time it will become more comfortable.
Safe travels
I'm looking forward to that day!! Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Some others above have advised well. Don't worry about telling the Hubby which way to turn the wheels. That's his job.

Your job is to ALWAYS maintain eyesight with the driver, always being in the view of the DRIVER's SIDE rear view mirror. If he can't see you, no good. Watch both corners of the rear of the coach, but stay in the driver's side mirror line of sight. You can signal him to stop while you scope the other side, and then continue to signal him to come back if the path is clear.

Work out 2 hand signals: 1) Continue to come back, and 2) STOP. I use the cross-arms signal to STOP like the airlines do. No waiving hands back and forth. Can't figure out what that means.

It's that simple. The driver should get out first and scope what he(she) is backing into, so the 2 above hand signals should do it.
Thanks! I appreciate the advice.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
From what you say sounds like everything is normal. DW gives me direction I shake head and get out, start over, and when things get set up we sit down and have a adult beverage and say how great things are.
I like your style, Jimmy!! Thanks.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by e8seabee View Post
I found this on another thread here and it was VERY helpful. This one happens to be "part 7" dealing with backing into a campspot but we found all 7 lessons to be very helpful.

RV Driver Confidence Course: Part 7 - Better RVing
Thanks!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As Lori suggests, you get behind wheel and let him direct you. In our case my wife directs me. But then, she's been telling where to go and how to get there for years so it works out well. Seriously, she very good at it. She gives bold signals that are unmistakable and I follow them to the letter.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sarah,
It is definitely a "team" experience. Practice in the car, in a parking lot for a few times and the important thing is to AGREE on hand signals. With only one week on the ground, you are still learning. Talk to each other and get a set of hand signals that you agree on. Draw some stick men on paper and go with that. I have not looked at the links posted, but there is a site that I saw once that showed a simple set of hand signals. Directing left or right is just important as straight back and stop.

At one CG recently I had to holler to a gentleman backing in. His ground guide was directing him back, but the ground guide was only looking at the back end. The front driver wheel was getting ready to drop off a 4-6 inch edge of the campsite.

I do the driving, DW is my ground guide. After all these years she is pretty good at it. The first time backing into the driveway, and I use the backup microphone, I learned real quick that Whoa means stop. But being in Texas, that's a given. We have even used the Cell phone with speaker mode in the cab.

Your husband is smart. I always get out and scope out where I'm backing into. I look in for directions; forward, backward, up, and down (and all around.) If I see something I'll point it out and most time I get the "I saw it," but it doesn't hurt to have two look.

Besides she's been telling me where to go all my life, what's a little backing direction?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Might be a little too much information, but here are some signals used in industry:

http://upstream.chevron.com/contract...kingPolicy.pdf

Lane
Photo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we get to a campsite I have my wife go somewhere else until I'm parked. Works quite well.
If you can't park your RV alone you need to go practice somewhere.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
As Lori suggests, you get behind wheel and let him direct you. In our case my wife directs me. But then, she's been telling where to go and how to get there for years so it works out well. Seriously, she very good at it. She gives bold signals that are unmistakable and I follow them to the letter.
It will be a while before I'm ready to get behind the wheel. (I'll wait till the MH has it's first boo-boo. )
Old 12-05-2011, 12:03 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Sarah,
It is definitely a "team" experience. Practice in the car, in a parking lot for a few times and the important thing is to AGREE on hand signals. With only one week on the ground, you are still learning. Talk to each other and get a set of hand signals that you agree on. Draw some stick men on paper and go with that. I have not looked at the links posted, but there is a site that I saw once that showed a simple set of hand signals. Directing left or right is just important as straight back and stop.

At one CG recently I had to holler to a gentleman backing in. His ground guide was directing him back, but the ground guide was only looking at the back end. The front driver wheel was getting ready to drop off a 4-6 inch edge of the campsite.

I do the driving, DW is my ground guide. After all these years she is pretty good at it. The first time backing into the driveway, and I use the backup microphone, I learned real quick that Whoa means stop. But being in Texas, that's a given. We have even used the Cell phone with speaker mode in the cab.

Your husband is smart. I always get out and scope out where I'm backing into. I look in for directions; forward, backward, up, and down (and all around.) If I see something I'll point it out and most time I get the "I saw it," but it doesn't hurt to have two look.

Besides she's been telling me where to go all my life, what's a little backing direction?
Thanks; I know it will come easier with experience.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:16 AM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My wife doesn't even get out of the rig when I back into a spot. I have no problems putting the rig where I want when I want. I do get out and walk the site though looking for obstacles. After that it's all mine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
On a Sunday, get over to a big parking lot with some orange cones (cheap ones for soccer, from wallyworld). Set them up amd practice.

Be sure to bring lunch and drinks for your break. Both of you should drive it. You never know when an emergency may arise, and you have to drive it to get help somewhere. And....it may turn out that YOU are the better parker.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:32 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Sarah, If you are wanting to be able to tell DH whcuh way to cut his wheels and when, you will first need to be able to back the MH up yourself so you have a good understanding of the results of cutting the wheels in a given direction.

On the other hand if all you wish to do is guide him, then the advice re. agreed hand signals etc... above is all great advice.

There is a big difference between telling him to keep coming back, move left or right than actually telling him which way to cut the wheels. Which way to cut the wheels and when should be left to the driver.

My only desire from a ground person, when I use on, is to tell me when the rear end is about to hit something. The only exception is backing into a site designed for a rig half our size then I like to know move to the left of the pad or right on the pad to center the rig between the 4 trees, the picnic table and grill Even then DW only tells me i need to be more to the right or left, not when to cut the wheels.

Don't worry too much about it, my wife rarely gets out of the coach until I'm parked unless the daogs really to need to get out then she walks them as I park.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:07 AM   #28

Hand signals can be mis-read. The best signals do not include whirling your hand in the air, telling the driver which direction to turn the wheel. Simply point in the direction the rear needs to move. The driver surely knows which way to turn the wheel. It works better if the direction giver is in front of the unit,and walk from side to side . Then they can look at each other, and the driver can see the mirrors. Stop backing at times to scope out the rear area for clearance.
kencon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver