Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Starting the rig quickly might not be your only concern....you may have to bail out a side window/emergency exit at some point, with little or no notice. It might be good to keep all your MH and toad keys and other valuables like IDs, wallets, cash, etc, in a convenient and easy to reach location----just saying....
X2. My keys, wallet and pocket knife are in my pants pockets next to the bed. Our Emergency Exit Window is at the foot of the bed. My pants - my shirt and shoes go out the window. The comforter goes over the window frame. Annie out and me out. We have a small extinguisher in the kitchen - 1 at the front door - 1 in the bed room and a big one under the rear bath sink next to bed room.

I keep the keys in my pocket for another reason. I have been locked out in the cold before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1428106437585.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	90486  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One one nighters, the "driving" set of keys is left in the ignition to void locating keys keys in an emergency. Regular keys, wallet and transportable defense on the night stand.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:01 PM   #17

We stop in campgrounds and not parking lots but it would be hard for me to get in my truck if I left the keys in it. It is also hard to lock it as well so the keys would be in the trailer.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:25 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
My ignition key is separate from all the other keys. I leave it in the ignition while traveling and it'd be hard for anyone to see it's even there. The only time I take it out is when the coach is parked for any long period of time and I'm not there with it.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 09:38 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Guess I should have mentioned that since going full time I consider my bay key - engine key - Deadbolt - door clicker, door key and toad key to be my house keys - and the keys to almost everything we own. I have a two piece key chain. The second piece is stored in a place of its own. That includes the gas cap key - engine door, generator door, fresh water lock, etc.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:17 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I leave the keys in the ignition 24/7/365. But only for the last 20 years or so.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #21
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
No, we don't leave the key in the ignition, but it's in a hiding place close by!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #22

Pitch dark and a vehicle next to you catches fire. Smoke alarm is blaring, dogs barking and wife screaming - or is that you screaming. What earthly use is a silly gun, or keys in pockets or in a drawer, because you won't be able to find them. Best you can hope for is to find the drivers seat and then you'll be very glad the keys are in the ignition.

And as I posted on another topic - are you absolutely positive you know which window is the escape window and where the release catch is, and most important of all, can you actually open it.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:06 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Good point Tony! Do people think, at night , key in the ignition, you sleeping in the bedroom, that someone is going to break in, start it up, pickup the jacks, retract the slides, and steal it? with you in bed?
How about even in a campground during the day?
Old 04-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #24

Everything has a place and everything in its place.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Pitch dark and a vehicle next to you catches fire. Smoke alarm is blaring, dogs barking and wife screaming - or is that you screaming. What earthly use is a silly gun, or keys in pockets or in a drawer, because you won't be able to find them. Best you can hope for is to find the drivers seat and then you'll be very glad the keys are in the ignition.

And as I posted on another topic - are you absolutely positive you know which window is the escape window and where the release catch is, and most important of all, can you actually open it.
Something similar actually happened to us many years ago.

Staying one spring in a pretty campground in W. Washington right next to a river; middle of the night, someone is pounding on the side of our old Class C shouting; "The river is flooding- get the heck out of here!"

It was literally a case of falling out of the bed over the cab; hubby into the driver's seat, me outside in my nightie unplugging the electric (drenched), dogs barking their heads off. Couldn't have taken 2 minutes to get under way. I understand the flooding damaged a number of rigs there .

Being a Boy Scout is a good idea in this life.

Side note; hubby says we were in Montana, I remember it as Washington. Think we can remember where the keys are??
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quick disconnect key chain, ign on one side, all other keys on the other side.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #27

Keys in ignition but toad key is clothspinned to wheel to remind me it is connected but in park.In an emergency I know I could drag it. (Accidently tested it once)
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why would you stay in places that you have to worry about things like that.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote