Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2015, 05:38 AM   #57

If I was that paranoid I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2015, 06:20 AM   #58

Not sure why I would need to take keys out of ignition-- I have a double clip on my ignition key. On that I have keys that snap to the bottom clip. One key snaps off for the dead bolt for door--another snaps off for the basement doors and the third one snaps off for the gas door locks.

So I can leave all keys hooked to ignition key then snap off just the one key I need. When leaving RV I only have to carry one key that way.

The toad keys stay in ignition of the toad with the doors locked.

Russell.
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:22 AM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
This is the bedroom tire thumper. It's the Wilderness Series Enorsed by Dan Haggerty so ya known it will knock a window out LOL...
Im offended by tire thumpers when being shown not for their original purpose, these should be labeled right along side the gun policy, no need to show intimidating weapons.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:41 AM   #60

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Im offended by tire thumpers when being shown not for their original purpose, these should be labeled right along side the gun policy, no need to show intimidating weapons.
No offense intended. It is clearly marked Use only as Tire Thumper. The fact that I keep it in the bedroom does not eliminate it's intended use. But since I have TST 507s on all tires (coach and car with repeater) it doesn't get much use. It is also recommended as a fish knocker. Thought about putting it with the fishing gear and then realized it could be used to assist in getting the emergency window open if it were stuck.

Mac the Fire Guy sells the hammer - it has the single purpose but would make an intimidating weapon and one side might make a tire knocker?

The second picture is our RV Mascot Sparky. He could be used to break the window too. But he usually sits on the dash when parked looking out the picture window. He could also be weaponized I suppose.

The knocker is a tool and it's purpose in our case was stated as a tool not a weapon. As an above the knee amputee I don't have the same kicking ability others do. If that window needs help opening I have it. Again, no offense intended and it isn't a weapon in our home on wheels.

I still keep my keys in my pants pocket on the ring below. Engine key, scooter key, bay key, car key, door and deadbolt key, and motorhome door lock clicker. The other clip ring not shown has less important keys (fuel fill locks, engine compartment, generator lock, etc).

As a kid my dad taught me how to use a key as a weapon. I guess you can see weapons anywhere you look for them. Personally I don't have or carry any. Only full time for 5 months - but RVing since 1991. Keys always in pocket and never felt the need for anything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1428499610816.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	90889   Click image for larger version

Name:	1428500203730.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	90890  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1428500216716.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	90891  
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We keep our keys in a drawer, not near the drivers seat only because that is where we got in the habit of putting them. It is right on the way to the drivers seat if needed fast and we both would know where they are. When parked in a CG for long periods with everything connected and jacks down they are usually on top of the dash to grab and lock up on the way out.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:56 PM   #62

key in ignition if we are in rv, key in my pocket or tray if are away from rig. 2 Glocks for my wife and I to discourage any serious troublemakers
Old 04-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Seems paranoia runs rampant in the rv community

Do you buy insurance? Change the batteries in your smoke and co detectors? Do you buy tires before they blowout? You must be paranoid as well.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #64

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
"Intimidated" by a picture of an inanimate object?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:43 AM   #65

Oklahoma Boomers Club
To the OP, ignition key in the ignition. Why would I need to remove it? No one is going to take it with me in it and if I'm not in it I don't care. Insurance will cover the loss thats why I pay for it.

They key to surviving any emergency is situational awareness before hand. Know the risks, know the exits, know where key items are, have a plan. When the emergency happens stop and calm yourself and go with the plan you have made ahead of time for that situation. Thats not being paranoid, it being prepared and not becoming a victim.

Dangerous things of all sorts can happen anywhere at any time. Knowing what you would do in those situations is actually very comforting. I sleep quite well thank you. Unless I fall into a raging river I see no scenario I will need to be rescued.

Most of my friends are either retired police or spec op. You hang with these folks for more than 30 years being prepared for anything rubs off on you.

When things go sideways you are the first responder.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:16 AM   #66

geee..... I never thought about where to put my keys. They were always in my pocket. But like some others I forget things, like where are my keys. Pocket? Which pair of pants was I wearing, lol. Guess I have to go with placing them somewhere automatically so I can remember that. There is no simple solution, to each their own. But I do take my keys with me when I leave my mh, got to lock the doors right?

I have yet to experience some of the situations posted here though. I just hope I don't loose my keys, lol. /Mikey
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 06:59 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
To the OP, ignition key in the ignition. Why would I need to remove it? No one is going to take it with me in it and if I'm not in it I don't care. Insurance will cover the loss thats why I pay for it.

They key to surviving any emergency is situational awareness before hand. Know the risks, know the exits, know where key items are, have a plan. When the emergency happens stop and calm yourself and go with the plan you have made ahead of time for that situation. Thats not being paranoid, it being prepared and not becoming a victim.

Dangerous things of all sorts can happen anywhere at any time. Knowing what you would do in those situations is actually very comforting. I sleep quite well thank you. Unless I fall into a raging river I see no scenario I will need to be rescued.

Most of my friends are either retired police or spec op. You hang with these folks for more than 30 years being prepared for anything rubs off on you.

When things go sideways you are the first responder.

Better check your insurance. Many have provision that they will not pay if keys are in ignition. Had a friend who's car was stolen from his yard. The thief rolled the car in the middle of the road. When the police found it the keys were in a the ignition. Insurance wouldn't pay. He took them to court and lost!
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:52 AM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Yup - neighbour is an isurance lawyer. Says they can tell from the computer whether the vehicle was started with a key or hot wired. Told us a story about a fellow giving his car to a couple fellows to dispose of so he could claim insurance. Insurance denied and fellow is up on charges for fraud.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #69

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Good points indeed. I'm sure my insurance is no different. Might have to rethink that habit of leaving the key in it when away. But I stand by the rest of it.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #70

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Yup - neighbour is an isurance lawyer. Says they can tell from the computer whether the vehicle was started with a key or hot wired. Told us a story about a fellow giving his car to a couple fellows to dispose of so he could claim insurance. Insurance denied and fellow is up on charges for fraud.
As an agent and broker, I've read a lot more insurance language than I even like. I've never seen mention of "keys" in any standard consumer oriented policy. Perhaps in a custom commercial type policy, the insurance company could use a manuscript endorsement to put such a stipulation for a unique hazard, but that's not even a one in a million chance.

Fraud, and forgetfully leaving your keys in the ignition are two totally different things. It's a great thing for us that insurance policies don't exclude "stupid"!
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote