Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
Leaving water in fresh water tank

Hello all,
I'll be doing 3 day trips every other week for the summer. Should I be draining the fresh water tank after each trip or do you think it is OK to leave the unused water in the tank 2 weeks for the next trip? The reason I ask is I'm physically challenged on being able to get under the TT to open the drain. If needed I can get someone to do it.

Dale & Deb
Suburban 2500 8.1 L
2016 Jayco JayFlight 27BHS
fdhealy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #2

If you don't drink the water you can add some bleach to the tank when you fill it , I do this and leave water in the tank for months at a time . Flush system with fresh water and about 1/2 gal of white vinegar to rid the system of the bleach smell, and before trips where I might drink the water.
Water from a known good source ; i.e. ; city water that is treated with chlorine will stay good for a long time with nothing added, but well water should be treated.
Water will stay ok longer if tank is full , less air to react with anything that may be in the water.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We never drain our tank until it's time to winterize. Just fill and go.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #4

I don't drain my tank except in winter. However I don't use the water in my tank for drinking.
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #5
I make a habit of adding chlorinated city water once a month. Otherwise the water stays in the tank from October to January. (Snow birds) Wife drinks bottled spring water but I use the tank for drinking without any bad effects.

Have a nice day - Darrel
2007 3912 KSDP w/350HP ISL Cummins
2003 Grand Cherokee toad w/M&G Brake
Darrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I sometimes leave water in the freshwater tank two or three months if we're not traveling much. I do have a high-quality filter under the sink though!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #7
We have well water at home and if we leave it in the tank for more that a week or two it will get a sulfur smell because it is pretty hard water, so I drain it after every trip.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
Solo Rvers Club
I keep the tank full at home. Full is better than empty. If I do not travel for a month or so I drain and refill before I go. I do sanitize in the spring and fall.

Yes, I do drink onboard water. Never had a problem doing that. I do run water through the garden hose till it is cold and then run that water through the in line hose filter for a bit before filling the tank.

I really do not understand how folks use water that has been sitting outside in a hose with the sun beating down on it on a hot day. I guess large grey holding tanks are the answer.
NRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:04 AM   #9
I just put a Pur water filter on my faucet. Has anyone else done this? I use one at home on city water all the time to take out the chlorine taste. We drained, bleached and flushed our tank in Florida before we left but in case we would hook up to well water in a park, I thought this would be safer. Just like a home system, especially one on a well, I put the bleach in, ran the water on ALL faucets until I could smell bleach and then let it sit. This insures that all systems are disinfected. We used that method in real estate on houses with a well.
OHpink2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #10

Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
We never drain our tank until it's time to winterize. Just fill and go.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only time you need to drain is over the winter. Just sanitize in the Spring. If you are using it at least once a month it will be fine.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:18 AM   #12
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I fill with chlorinated city water, and never drain except to winterize.
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:18 PM   #13
American Coach Owners Club
For the five years we owned the MH, we sanitized before each season. We filtered all CG water going into the FW tank and filtered our drinking/cooking water with the under sink filtering system. We always drank from the MH's tank w/ no problems.
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #14
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
The only time you need to drain is over the winter. Just sanitize in the Spring. If you are using it at least once a month it will be fine.
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
I fill with chlorinated city water, and never drain except to winterize.
I agree with these two, I leave it in there for weeks or more and I also drink it and it is fine. I do use a nice filter when I fill the tank.

2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote

fresh water, tank, water