Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good advice to try some different ones if available and if you don't have to mortgage the farm to purchase them. I bought a number of bright whites to start with and my wife didn't like them in the bathroom, wound up changing them back to the old standbys.
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post

And and the entire 2 light fixture for $18

LOT 5 12V RV DOUBLE LED DOME LIGHT WITH SWITCH | eBay
My take on the site you show is $90.00 for the fixture, not 18
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
You are purchasing FIVE units for $90.00 $90 / 5 = $18 each

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #18

page 4 has singles for 19.00
ischua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 PM   #19

My reason for replacing all the internal incandescent lights for LEDs is heat. I could not stand the extra amount of heat generated by incandescent lighting in a "small" enclosed space and being physically closer to the lights. LEDs solved that problem but it wasn't cheap.

Bright white over the kitchen area. Warm white for the rest of the coach is my preference.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:26 AM   #20

LED bulbs can work wonders if we use them properly in the interiors. I have fitted them in the bathroom outlet I have in my RV. It looks awesome.
donald.bradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #21

I have a bunch of LED's on my motorcycle and more than once I forgot to turn them off when I got home and left them on for a week. The bike still started with no problems so they really don't take much power to light. They make a lot of sense to put them in a RV for many different reasons. I just can't believe all the different pricing on them. Like I said, I got 12 for $50 but you can also buy just one somewhere else for $35... There can't be that much difference in them.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #22

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteve View Post
The best point I've seen made to go LED is to use an existing 12V light line for something other than lighting. Use LEDs and make the remaining current available for something else. If all of the planets align and the application fits this scenario, the cost of LEDs will probably offset the cost and effort involved in running a new 12V line. Otherwise, I wouldn't be willing to pry my wallet open that far.

Steve
That will be the main reason I will upgrading: the allow me to install fans on the lighting circuits, especially in the slides (running new 12v lines without marring the walls and ceiling would be a real bugger there). Boondockers will benefit by getting up to 10 times more battery life when using lights only. When on metered shore power, the electric bill will be reduced. Everyone can benefit by the reduction of heat (more comfortable and no more melted lenses).
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
...I just can't believe all the different pricing on them. Like I said, I got 12 for $50 but you can also buy just one somewhere else for $35... There can't be that much difference in them.
Actually, there can be. LEDs are rated by the intensity of the light in lumens and by the temperature (essentially, color) of the light in kelvins. Generally speaking, more expensive LEDs will have both brighter outputs and warmer, more natural colors.

Another factor is the software package that comes with each LED. LEDs are voltage sensitive and variations in voltage will vary both the intensity and the temperature of the LED and can shorten or end the life of the LED if the voltage goes too high. LEDs designed to be plug in replacements for 12v incandescents need to have a voltage regulator built in to ensure a consistent voltage. Many cheaper bulbs only have a resistor to limit voltage. Those will work for a while as long as the voltage doesn't spike but the light output will be all over the map. The better ones have built in voltage regulators to ensure consistant light output. Those are far more likely to last longer.

LEDs are very directional. The more expensive LEDs attempt to correct this characteristic by various means such as individual LEDs in a replacement bulb being distributed in a cylindrical pattern. One brand has a base than can be rotated so the LED array can be aimed to a degree.

In the long run, LEDs should be considerably more economical than incandescents due to reduced current consumption and longer life. The initial outlay is a bank breaker, though. Until prices come down (and they will), it would make sense to replace only incandescents that get the most use with LEDs and wait until the seldom used incandescents burn out before replacing them.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
... Until prices come down (and they will), it would make sense to replace only incandescents that get the most use with LEDs and wait until the seldom used incandescents burn out before replacing them.
That's exactly what we're doing. We replaced bulbs in only the 5 interior/1 exterior fixtures we use most. We've got at least another 2 dozen+ fixtures (including the ones in the bays, marker & tail lights) that we'll play "musical bulbs" for a while until, eventually they'll all be LED.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Actually, there can be. LEDs are rated by the intensity of the light in lumens and by the temperature (essentially, color) of the light in kelvins. Generally speaking, more expensive LEDs will have both brighter outputs and warmer, more natural colors.

Another factor is the software package that comes with each LED. LEDs are voltage sensitive and variations in voltage will vary both the intensity and the temperature of the LED and can shorten or end the life of the LED if the voltage goes too high. LEDs designed to be plug in replacements for 12v incandescents need to have a voltage regulator built in to ensure a consistent voltage. Many cheaper bulbs only have a resistor to limit voltage. Those will work for a while as long as the voltage doesn't spike but the light output will be all over the map. The better ones have built in voltage regulators to ensure consistant light output. Those are far more likely to last longer.

LEDs are very directional. The more expensive LEDs attempt to correct this characteristic by various means such as individual LEDs in a replacement bulb being distributed in a cylindrical pattern. One brand has a base than can be rotated so the LED array can be aimed to a degree.

In the long run, LEDs should be considerably more economical than incandescents due to reduced current consumption and longer life. The initial outlay is a bank breaker, though. Until prices come down (and they will), it would make sense to replace only incandescents that get the most use with LEDs and wait until the seldom used incandescents burn out before replacing them.
Wow, Thanks for the education on LED's. I guess for now I'm happy with the $4.16 led's I purchased but then again I was happy with my new 8 track tape player in 1968...
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:32 PM   #26

I replaced the bulbs in one area of TT to see if I like the look (more importantly to make sure the wife likes the look). Www.superbrightleds.com has a wide selection and decent prices. An earlier post discussed voltage control options. These bulbs have that. The model I tried is WLED-WHP10-D in the warm white option at $14.95 each. That model fills the fixture with a nice consistent light. For my spot fixtures I used model 921-WW12 again in warm white at $5.95 each.

I have been meaning to shoot some pictures showing the difference as well as putting an ammeter on the line to see the energy difference. I'll try to get to that soon and will post.

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #27

I have a Solar System that really works and do not like or need LED's. I will stick with my incadescent and flourescent lighting. I spent $ 6.00 each for warm white flourescent bulbs and am very happy with the nice bright lighting. I do boondock a lot and have power to spare and use all I want and need.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:44 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

There is a big difference between the Revolution bulbs and the el cheapo ones on ebay or wherever, but you may not care. If you just need some light and want low power consumption, the cheap ones are fine. Their lumen (light output) is typically low and the color is often poor, but maybe that doesn't matter in some places.

I get my Revolution Leds from RVLEDBulbs.com - RV LED Bulbs and Light Accessories and they have a 15% off deal right now. I particularly like their Led fluorescent replacements, e.g. the F15T8 (18") and the F8T5 (12") tubes.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote