Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2011, 02:09 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LED Bulbs

Is there a reasonable advantage to switch to LED bulbs and if so where is a good source to purchase them. I am seeing the bank on Tuesday to put a mortgage on the house to get the funds to pay for them. LOL I understand they a quite abit brighter and consume only 20-25% percent of the power. I would appreciate any information, especially a cheaper source.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Try this web site www. ledlites4rvs.com.
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Be aware that they will change the color of everything inside your coach
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
With LED lights the A'Cond won't have to work so hard and if you want to add electrical devices you can use the new reserve power in existing wireing.
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We tried several different LED bulbs in fixtures in our coach before finding ones we liked. Many LED's come in different color spectrums. We tried bright white (mimics sunlight), cool white (blue-ish tint) & warm white (mimics incandescent). I liked the bright white as they made the colors "pop" & are great for reading by.

It's very hard to tell what you will like from looking at bulbs on a website. I would suggest trying to find a local source for them so you can buy & easily return what you don't like so you don't have to pay to ship them back (or worse, pay a restocking fee). We were lucky to be attending a mfr rally & there were several LED light vendors. We were able to take samples back to the coach & I was glad for that because what I initially thought would work did not & we ended up getting completely different bulbs than I initially tried out. For example, the pics below show what I originally liked (left) & what we ended up with (right). Quite a difference in the way the light fills the lens.

Then, once you decide on the brand/light output, go online & buy 'em.

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050132 (Small).JPG
Views:	142
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	10429   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050136 (Small).JPG
Views:	142
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	10430  

NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
ebay is the cheapest place I've found so far. If you find a supplier cheaper than ebay post it here.

Dave
Old 05-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tried 3 different manufacturers before I found these:
Star Light Revolution LED 300 White

Two of the brands I tried flat out did not work, I think it was a polarity problem. The other brand I tried I didn't like the lighting. The Star Light Revolution bulbs are a little pricy but I am very happy with them. I replaced about 1/3 of the bulbs in January (Quartzsite) and plan on doing another 1/3 next January when we go back. Because of the price, I replaced the ones we use most often first.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Brightness of an LED is measured in lumens while color is measured in kelvin. So when you're buying you want to look at both those items.

A higher lumens rating will mean a brighter bulb. I personally like ~130 lumens for accent lights and ~300 lumens for reading. Some people like brighter.

For color lower numbers are "warmer" (~3000K), higher are "cooler" (~5000K). Again this is personal. I personally prefer warm colors.

On switching to LEDs our power usage from lights went down by a factor of 10. These lights should last a very long time too. Very nice for boondocking.

If you're interested I've got more info and pics of our LEDs here
http://wheelingit.wordpress.com/2011...-led-lighting/

Like others have said, try one bulb before buying a bunch. Different manufacturers have different quality and you might find the light output to look very different even for 2 brands rated with the same apparent specs.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
I tried 3 different manufacturers before I found these:
Star Light Revolution LED 300 White

Two of the brands I tried flat out did not work, I think it was a polarity problem. The other brand I tried I didn't like the lighting. The Star Light Revolution bulbs are a little pricy but I am very happy with them. I replaced about 1/3 of the bulbs in January (Quartzsite) and plan on doing another 1/3 next January when we go back. Because of the price, I replaced the ones we use most often first.
OMG! A "LITTLE" pricey?
List Price: $38.79
Our Price: $27.16
You save $11.63!
Manufacturer P/N: Rev 200 White
Product Code: 55-1009
$28 for ONE 1156 light! They're kidding right?

Guess I'm doing something wrong, I found these for $9

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-x-C...item33673f0de4

and the same thing for $18,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-B...item27afaa87ba

And and the entire 2 light fixture for $18

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOT-5...44739754951192
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #10

The best point I've seen made to go LED is to use an existing 12V light line for something other than lighting. Use LEDs and make the remaining current available for something else. If all of the planets align and the application fits this scenario, the cost of LEDs will probably offset the cost and effort involved in running a new 12V line. Otherwise, I wouldn't be willing to pry my wallet open that far.

Steve
Old 05-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #11

I just bought 12 LEDs for $50 on Feebay and They work well. They are long so it's easy to get them into the small space in the lamps. They aren't as bright as a regular 1156 but I just left 1 regular one in for reading. They give off a nice white light.

6X 1156 BA15S RV TRAILER 12V LED LIGHT BULB 13 SMD 5050 | eBay
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
Is there a reasonable advantage to switch to LED bulbs and if so where is a good source to purchase them. I am seeing the bank on Tuesday to put a mortgage on the house to get the funds to pay for them. LOL I understand they a quite abit brighter and consume only 20-25% percent of the power. I would appreciate any information, especially a cheaper source.
Are you planning on putting the lights in our RV or your stick house? If it is the stick house, there are so many high energy items that changing the lights may not get the savings you are looking for.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #13

I bought mine on E Bay for about $5.00 each. I use them for outside (porch) and on some inside fixtures. For boondocking or as a night light they are great. If i want to read i use the incandescent, for general lighting without haveing to worry about running down the battery they are great. I am not ready yet to replace all my lights with them but I would not be without some.
They are IMO a nitch item. Good for some things but not good enough for others.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #14

LED Lights

I've purchased from www.jclampstand.com and have been satisfied. Great products, great prices, great service. don
plntmgr is offline   Reply With Quote