Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2015, 12:15 AM   #15

I've changed out all the BA15S bulbs in the interior and some exterior bulbs as well. eBay items are about $4 per bulb. I like the flat panel warm white 36 LED array. You want to get the "constant current" versions to ensure they have an onboard voltage regulator to handle voltage variations. The light output, in lumens, is similar to the BA15S bulbs they replace at 1/7th the power consumption. Very easy to do....very effective in extending your batteries.
Attached Images

Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2015, 12:28 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentor View Post
I have purchased many from China and not had any failures. When I checked with several suppliers in my area the lights they were selling were identical to mine but triple or quadruple the price. One shop actually admitted they buy from the same source I did.
I've got 40 on order from China right now, supposed to be here anywhere from the 4th to the 22nd.
Last time I ordered some from Amazon the package was an obvious repack and two out of three large bulbs and ALL of the small bulbs were missing. Never did hear from the seller either but I did get my money refunded.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #17

I have some of these 60 smd(60 led's per panel)...under $2 panel:

10x Warm White 1156 BA15S T10 Interior Dome Map Door RV 60 SMD LED Light Panel | eBay
Old 05-19-2015, 08:44 AM   #18

After investing many hours of Internet readind I decided to use Amazon as a source.
They listed what I wanted from U.S. Suppliers and a number of suppliers in China.
The China suppliers were cheaper but the feed back from customers was heavy with low satisfaction results and long delivery times from China. U.S. Suppliers had quick delivery times and cost a little more...they also had high satisfaction reports from customers.
Here is what I ordered and I will not have to wait all summer to get them.
Ordered: Gold Stars...92111803...LED replacement light bulbs...12 Pack...921/T15 wedge base...190 Lumens...Natural White..$69.95...($76.61 with shipping).
That is $6.39 per bulb...be here Friday.

Happy Camping!
Old 05-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #19

Ordered from Amazon, well pleased with bulbs and price.
Just check the lumens, some time the cheaper bulbs don't put out the same amount of light.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #20

In my research I did note that many of the LEDs that ship from China do not state any "Lumen" information in their listings. I selected from Amazon shipped from US and with complete specs including Lumens.

This LED thing is all new to me...whatever happened to good old watts?
Old 05-20-2015, 12:25 AM   #21

Lumens is the key spec for selecting LEDs. Watts is only a measure of power consumed. An LED is much more efficient at converting electrical power in to light out.

For example, the BA15S incandescent bulbs I removed pulled 1.5 - 2 amps at 12 volts (or about 20 watts,) and provided about 200 lumens of light. Those figures are hard to find.

The replacement LED that also provides about 200 lumens of light only consumes 0.25 amps at 12 volts, or about 3 watts. Same light output, but about 1/7th the power in.

The other key spec in LEDs is the color of the light. You can get bright white, daylight white, or warm white, and other colors. It's similar to fluorescent bulbs that can be purchased with different color options. I prefer warm white, because it is the same color as the incandescent bulbs I replace, That's just me.

There is always some circuitry involved to drop the incoming 12 volts in an RV to what the LED wants to see, which is closer to 4 volts. In your house the circuitry needs to change 120 volts AC to 4 volts DC. In the RV it is simpler, but circuitry is still needed. I purchase the ones labeled "constant current" because they typically have a voltage regulator included that takes care of fluctuations in my 12 volt system. They cost a bit more, but maybe change the price from $3 to $4 each.

By all means, make the switch!
Karlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 AM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlos View Post
I've changed out all the BA15S bulbs in the interior and some exterior bulbs as well. eBay items are about $4 per bulb. I like the flat panel warm white 36 LED array. You want to get the "constant current" versions to ensure they have an onboard voltage regulator to handle voltage variations. The light output, in lumens, is similar to the BA15S bulbs they replace at 1/7th the power consumption. Very easy to do....very effective in extending your batteries.
I bought some panels like those from one of the local RV shops. They were bright white and I ended up using them in my four outside "scare" lights. Boy did they light up the place. I also used a 18 LED array in the porch light. Wish the Magna had as much lighting outside as the Dutch Star had!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #23

Karlos, Thank you for the information....I now know the actual Lumen level of the incandescent light bulbs that I am replacing....I got lucky and came within 10 Lumens when I ordered the LED replacements. I agree it is difficult to find info on LED's that compares to incandescent light bulbs....for all my life light bulbs have been rated by watts. My wife can not tolerate any CFL lights...I do not like them either...now the real test will be my wife's reaction to the LEDs when they arrive and get installed...I never would have bothered changing if the power draw of the incandescent bulbs wasn't so high. We do mostly "no-hook-up" camping at scenic lakefront campsites and power and water supply become a big issue.

Thanks again for the info...I'm sure many will profit from it.

Happy Camping!
Old 05-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To the OP. their are no cheap LED bulbs. Some cost less than others but none are cheap. It's like saying fuel is cheap at 42.50 a gallon. NOT!!!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #25

Up until this point this post has not used the term "cheap".

The cost of LED bulbs is a concern to most and avenues to save on their purchase are well worth exploring.

T55watson's comment added nothing to the discussion.

Perhaps a review of Webster's Dictionary.....Cheap vs. Quality....perhaps over-priced vs. reasonable. Time will reduce the cost of LED bulbs...as with the retail price of HD Televisions best illustrates the point...not too many years ago a 32inch HD TV retailed for well over $1,000 and now they can be found for a little as $250.
In the interim sharing information will offer some relief from the current high cost.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #26

M4 Products
Old 05-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #27

Replaced all of ours with units from M4. Cheaper by the numbers. Had one failure and they just sent me a new one. They can look at your purchase history and you don't have to send the bad one back.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #28
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced all mine with the small panels. probably 25 total. I paid about $3 per panel

Here is a how I did it.

Upgrading coach lights to LEDs | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

One nice thing about thee panels, I also modified a couple of the light fixtures as three levels of brightness. LOW-MED-HIGH

Adding bathroom light wall switch converts ceiling fixture to LOW-MED-HIGH | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

AND I also modified a couple of fixtures with dimmers,

Adding a dimmer to LED lighting | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote