Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 06:32 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
LED's in small ceiling fixtures?

I am in the process of swapping out the lights in my 2001 Allegro Bus 35 RD from factory to LED bulbs. Most have been just plug and play, with no problems with the exchange of bulbs.

Those small "recessed" lights with the tiny bulbs with 2 thin wires are proving to be an exception. I can not figure it out. I pull out the old ones and can sort of get the new ones in the smallest G4 with thin side pins in and they will turn on, BUT as soon as I put the cover back on it makes them go out. It seems to my uneducated eye that the reflector part keeps the bulb from going 100 % the way in so when the glass it put on it moves the bulb enough that contact is lost and the light won't come on.

Anyone else swapped these lights out for LED and any issues? Am I supposed to take the reflector panel out? Since all the light points down that part is not needed now, but I can't figure out how to remove the reflector part.

IDEAS??

Thanks!

Carol

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our rig I have to break the old metal reflector/heat sink out and then glue the receptacle to the framework then put the cover on when the glue dries over night. Have about 30 done and about the same number to go. I also have to cut the pins to shorten them so the bulb centers almost correctly.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:59 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
On our rig I have to break the old metal reflector/heat sink out and then glue the receptacle to the framework then put the cover on when the glue dries over night. Have about 30 done and about the same number to go. I also have to cut the pins to shorten them so the bulb centers almost correctly.
How did you break them out? My husband would NOT be happy if went down that road without a plan!
Old 09-08-2015, 06:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I bought these replacements:

20x Warm White G4 24 SMD LED Home Garden Marine Boat Spot Light Bulbs DC 12V US | eBay

They fit, but just. On a few I needed to bend the pins a bit so the disc rested inside the fixture. This cannot be done while the bulb is in the fixture.

Of course I got flamed in another post because I bought cheap Chinese bulbs that would never last. It has been three months and not one LED chip has faded. They may all quit tomorrow, but so far, so good!
Old 09-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Amazon has strip leds that you just peal and stick. They come in 16. 4 inch strips just remove old bulbs or neon tubes wire directly into 12 volt light wires replace lens cover and your done you don't even need to remove ballast just cut wires and hook to new light strip. Can be cut every 3".only about $8.00 a roll.I have neon tubes if anyone needs some.Im replacing all of mine
Old 09-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I too broke out the reflectors on some of my halogens to get the right size led to fit. Could have used smaller leds without doing that, but I wanted the ones with more leds (physically larger).

Just how you do that depends on the fixture, but typically they are just snapped in. On mine, the reflector popped out but that was what held the bulb socket in place as well, so I had to glue the socket back in first.

An alternative is to replace the whole fixture, which is what I did over the galley sink. Increased the light as well. We used a round & flush led fixture from Solarion - see Customizable Interior RV LED Light Fixtures
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Well just finished putting in the last of the LED's in those "recessed" lights. Turns out that a flathead screwdriver pops mine right out, one side and then the other! Yea, they are plug and play now! Thank you everyone for your help in figuring out how to get this small line item crossed off my to do list for our first RV!
Old 09-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dealer53 View Post
Amazon has strip leds that you just peal and stick. They come in 16. 4 inch strips just remove old bulbs or neon tubes wire directly into 12 volt light wires replace lens cover and your done you don't even need to remove ballast just cut wires and hook to new light strip. Can be cut every 3".only about $8.00 a roll.I have neon tubes if anyone needs some.Im replacing all of mine
That's what I did with the fluorescent lights int he Dutch Star, but that's not what the OP is asking about.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by McKTX View Post
How did you break them out? My husband would NOT be happy if went down that road without a plan!
On our lights the heavy metal reflector/heat sink is riveted to the plastic housing in the middle. Just used a large side cutter to pop them out. It breaks the housing but it doesn't matter since they get thrown away anyway.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbbg II View Post
I bought these replacements:

20x Warm White G4 24 SMD LED Home Garden Marine Boat Spot Light Bulbs DC 12V US | eBay

Of course I got flamed in another post because I bought cheap Chinese bulbs that would never last. It has been three months and not one LED chip has faded. They may all quit tomorrow, but so far, so good!
I bought those for my basement lights, one year and 11,000 miles ago and they are all still working perfect. Beside at less than $1.00 a piece who cares? I'll bet all of the expensive LED's are also made in China, probably at the same factory.

brobox is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, led