Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #1

Legal on road width

I just read this article, Two-Lane Roads Quarterly - Widebody RV caution and now really confused where I may drive if I buy a RV. What do I do if the RV park is miles down a state road in Maryland or any other regulated state?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #2

Quote:
What do I do if the RV park is miles down a state road in Maryland or any other regulated state?
You will do as the rest of us do, and drive to the campground, possibly breaking the law as you do so. Even on the roads that allow the wider limits we may be too wide if awnings are considered, I heard an "expert" say once. He pointed out that, as far as he knew (and he was a lawyer), there was no case law about this.

I have never been ticketed, but once while trying to avoid holiday Chicago area traffic I mistakenly started down some back roads with low weight bridge limits. A Barney Feif deputy read me the riot act and threatened to jail me for exceeding weight and width limits on "his" roads. I did not tell him what I thought about his ancestry until I was well out of his hearing zone, and also my grandson's.

Why not be like the rest of us and not worry? Stay in your lane. You will be fine.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #3

Everyday we all break one law or another. That's because there is a law for every law and it's made that way so the "people who be" can make a living. If you were to buy a 96" wide MH they still could get you for being over width if they measured from the top to the edge of your awning so I wouldn't worry about it. The narrow roads where 8.5 ft is not allowed are not the type of roads you would travel on with a MH for long anyway or attempt go down.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is some info HERE and HERE that might be helpful.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi byrsch,
My first coach was in 1978. This topic has never been on my list of things to worry about. Most likely, it will never be on the worry list. Height and weight, yes, I do watch out for.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Don't sweat it. Just drive to the campground.

Do pay attention to bridge weight limits, though. And bridge heights too.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I do agree, there are a few laws you need to pay very strict attention to.

The law that says "Do not try to drive a 12'6" high motor home under an 11'2" bridge is a good one to obey... Though I have not seen a motor home violator, I've seen a few 13'" semi's v/s a 12' bridge.. I would rather not have my Class A look like that.

The other one is seat belts. Hopefully you will never find out just how important that one can be but I have seen the evidence, more than once, with my own eyes.

Thankfully MY eyes, were still functional.. The person who provided the evidence for me to see (often by remote) ... Not so lucky.

IN the Detroit Metro area there are over 150 remotely operated "Traffic" cameras, these are not enforcement cameras but rather general observation and tracking. You can often see a few of them on the evening news, and you can watch most of them at MDOT dot Redirect (Who owns them) As a police dispatcher.. I had a control pad.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
It has been my experience that most officers will not bother you because of width laws unless your vehicle is well beyond what is normal. If the officer happens to own an RV with the same measurments as yours and he is having a slow day, who knows what he may do. Most likely, with our governments cutting back on their budgets they won't have time to mess with an RV that is a few inches to wide.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Safety equipment, e.g. mirrors and bumpers, are specifically exempt from the max width requirement. Detachable equipment, e.g. awnings, are also usually considered exempt, but state laws may vary on that. Besides, if the awnings don't stick out as far as the side mirrors, what difference does it make?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In my RV travels, that's pretty close to last of the things I worry about. Your RV is no wider than a semi trailer (*Definition of a Semi Trailer or Truck Trailer) and they're more regulated than RVs. I'm more concerned with the roughness of the road rather than the width of my RV on it.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote