Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Legality of GPS suction cups, video screens and front-facing cameras

I'm curious. We have been using a suction cup gps in the car in a position where it doesn't block forward vision. In the motor home, we are considering one of those hockey-puck gps units that connect to a video screen via USB. I'm also considering a forward-mounted recording camera. What are the legal issues we face in selecting and using these devices? Thanks for any help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have had a GPS in front of me while traveling through different states since 06 never pose a problem.
Others have larger units to the left of steering wheel on dash or have place them on passenger side for co-pilot with out a problem from law enforcement.

If you were to put image on a TV screen in front of you or above than you maybe inviting some concern for distraction while driving.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #3

The only thing I've ever heard is that in some states it's illegal to stick anything to the inside of the windshield.

Never heard anything about having a GPS or camera adhered to another surface.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #4

Inside a windshield is not to be confused with inside top of dash.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmpe View Post
The only thing I've ever heard is that in some states it's illegal to stick anything to the inside of the windshield.
Since 99.9% of all autos have rear view mirrors "stuck" to the inside of the windshield, this would prove hard to enforce.....
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mount Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
I'm curious. We have been using a suction cup...
We had the same issue, bought a beanbag base somewhere (WalMart?) that has a glossy plate in the middle to which your suction cup attaches. Works like a charm, and can be shifted to optimize visibility or to share with the passenger seat.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I can only speak about New Jersey but technically anything that is on the inside or outside of the windshield that creates a view obstruction in the line of sight can be considered a violation for example dice hanging from the rear view mirror, handicapped tags, and even gps's in the main visual area of the driver. Its up to the police officer if he wants to interpret it it as an obstruction. Another reason to get out of the state asap.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
I can only speak about New Jersey but technically anything that is on the inside or outside of the windshield that creates a view obstruction in the line of sight can be considered a violation for example dice hanging from the rear view mirror, handicapped tags, and even gps's in the main visual area of the driver. Its up to the police officer if he wants to interpret it it as an obstruction. Another reason to get out of the state asap.
We don't need another reason, taxes and auto insurance rates are enough reason but we totally agree with your obstruction description.
George Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Haveing been a police officer, I can tell you officers have better things to do than to worry about where RV'ers have placed thier GPS units.
Generaly people in RVs pose a much smaller risk to others saftey than the rest of the general public.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #10

A black box on suction cups on the windhield could be identified by an LEO as a speed trap sensor for radar and laser speed guns.

Many of the Eastern Seaboard states ban anything stuck to the windshield unless it's in the tint band at the top or immediately behind the mirror. My NASA-Langley base parking pass had to be out of the driver's line of sight behind the mirror.

I don't think there are any restrictions in the Western states, but I haven't checked.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've heard that California doesn't allow GPSs to be attached to the windshield. Haven't verified this, any response from CA residents or LEOs.
Glenn
Old 11-17-2011, 01:05 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will second the "Anything that obstructs the driver's line of sight" .. Like the Annual Park pass for Michigan State Parks.

When I worked for the State Police our parking permit was stuck to the back side of the mirror where the driver could not even see it.. The only legal parking permit I've ever seen. Seems the department felt it was bad form to stick it on the window where it might be considered illegal.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I attached our GPS holder to the side window in front of the drivers door. Its close enough for the driver to reach and it does not restrict any forward viewing.
Very happy with how it works there.
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
I've heard that California doesn't allow GPSs to be attached to the windshield. Haven't verified this, any response from CA residents or LEOs.
Glenn
California allows a GPS to be placed in the lower left corner of the windshield...

Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps