Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 12:29 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I had a Jayco trailer witha 'short (RV) queen' we got a mattress from 'The Original Mattress Factory' as we have 4 of their mattresses in our home. They will sell you a mattress w/o a box spring (three queen beds in our home are from Ikea and they are slats and do not have box springs.

We had them make it 75" long and chose firm as our bed is a queen on a box not slats. This was a mistake as we should have chosen a softer mattress when it is not on a box spring.

Our current Fleetwood has a Serta one sided mattress (cheaper than one you can flip) and we will probably get one from 'The Original Mattress Factory bfore we go to Florida in January. Our choice will be a softer mattress than what we have on the box here at home as it will be on a solid surface.
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #16

Another vote for memory foam. Ordered ours through Amazon for $350 and we love it. Ours is 10 inch memory foam. It was a little firm so we added a soft memory foam topper from Wal-Mart.
gthunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Sleep number,you can't go wrong,set it where you want it.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:40 AM   #18

We're looking on-line at a "Night Therapy Elite" for our home bedroom. Is it ok to place a foam mattress like this on box springs? Another question is: how do we get rid of the old mattress which weighs ton.
Flyer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 05:59 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Sleep number is our choice. I like that it is light weight for a mattress, independent left/right settings, and the fact of the matter is some nights I like a firmer setting and other nights I like it softer - depends on the days activities. It is easy to move with you when you change rigs and we just put the "new mattress" from the new rig into our old rig when trading. It is a little pricey, but well worth the money and you won't have to ever buy another. I guess you could say we are happy we spent the money.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:30 AM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another vote for sleep number. My DW has had 2 back surgeries and sleep number is the only mattress that doesn't aggravate it. Bought the premier rv mattress from camping World on sale a MD then put a 1 1/2 in memory foam topper on it. Sleeps great. Just remember to set it on a low setting when climbing up mtns.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #21

Appalachian Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to GunnyClark
we bought ours from Walmart a queen size memory foam with pillow top was around 285.00 - wife says it is more comfortable then our 1200.00 temper at home.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #22
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
A topic with so many "correct" opinions! Best advice... try as many as you can especially if you're going to spend big bucks

IMHO, the trouble with mattresses is that each day they get weaker and weaker and eventually sag to death. We've had a sleep number at home for the last 10 plus years and it still sleeps like new because air simply doesn't wear out. We also have an Ideal Rest brand air bed in the MH and I like it even better than the Sleep Number because of the internal foam grid. I prefer a slightly stiffer bed.

To each his own. I only wish you could sleep at least a week on a bed before purchasing. Anyway, that's my mattress of choice. Hope you find yours, too!

cheers,
Joopy
Here's a secret. Buy from a store that has a 60 day return policy. If you buy a mattress topper from them and use it, they will allow a return for a different bed as long as no stains or marks on the mattress. That's what we just did with Sleep Country.
It difficult to make a long term decision on a 10 minute test!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #23
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have the RV Sleep Number (king) in the MH
and my wife loves it. See their website for the info. We bought the Sleep Number for the S&B and she actually liked the one in the MH better. I don't explain them, just pay the bills. The home version has a thicker pillow top. I think the RV version is responds quicker when adjusting pressure, but after driving all day I can sleep pretty much anywhere
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan5711 View Post
Sleep number,you can't go wrong,set it where you want it.
Totally agree, our coach came with the sleep number, nothing more comfortable. Easy to make the bed a ours is a king and space is limited, it's light to lift. Also had one in the s/b. Note: if purchasing don't buy the cheapest, go to the premium series it has a very nice pillow top.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:25 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone for your input, I realize these are subjective opinions and a matter of preferences ? Narrowing the field helps, so now we can put on our PJ's and head down to our local mattress retailer for a afternoon nap
Wish us luck!

damdannyboy
Old 08-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
We actually purchased an RV mattress from Mattress Insider at this web address
MattressInsider.com | Custom Size Mattress

We were limited in how thick the mattress could be...did not want it to exceed 8inches. And I knew we wanted a coil spring mattress. We are very pleased. We did put a foam topper on it. Hubby was perfectly happy, but I thought it was too hard. The topper solved that problem, and since it's foam, will squish down under the cabinet when the slide comes in.

Mattress Insider has a fantastic return policy. And the price was very good, with no shipping.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:13 PM   #27

Our Itasca came with a short quean air mattress. Hated it. I extended the platform by 5" and night a Serta memory foam mattress and couldn't be happier. We have a tempurpedic at home and this one is just as comfortable.
boiledfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:58 AM   #28

We just finished 22 weeks on the road (and 7K miles) and have decided the sleep number mattress that came with our used RV isn't for us. Our problem is we are cuddle sleepers and sleep close, and the sleep number has that "slump" in the middle where the two air mattresses meet (and no support). And ours seems to exacerbate the problem by being high on the outside edges, which rolls us against each other. Do we have a defect in our sleep number system? or is it just us?
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, replacement