Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
(Let Us Up We've had Enough) Replacement Mattresses real reviews

We're looking to replace our RV mattress and would like some real feedback from the people who know. Not that retail fluff!

Thanks in advance

2003 Newmar Scottsdale
1997 Harley FLHT
damdannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very happy with my "tempur-pedic" bought at Costco.

Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
My advice would be to go to several mattress stores. Lay down on each one for at least several minutes in the position that you sleep in. Try them all out before you buy anything.

We ended up with a Serta Firm Euro Pillow Top full queen mattress. We've tried to sleep on temperpedic and foam mattress pads - thin and thick, we hated them all except for the euro pillow top. You need to try them all out to see what you like.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
We got a 10" memory foam from Costco that is way better than the OEM RV mattress which lasted about 3 days. But the other advise is good; try some first.
2015 F350 XLT PSD CCSB SRW, Andersen Ultimate hitch
'12 Cougar High Country 299RKS, Mor/Ryde Pinbox
1/77 Armor Bn, 5th Mech, I Corps
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
Memory foam topper from Costco. Made my crappy camper "mattress" feel better than my $1000 set in the house! I sleep so good!
Having a cabover lasted less than a year. Now "moving into" a 2003 Fleetwood Jamboree GT.
DallasOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:30 PM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
We have had a Sleep Number Air Mattress for 14 years in our S&B. Once we get our MH, we will get one as well; especially the new ones that recline individually. Expensive, but we will be there 1/3 of our lives....

Frank (RVM88), Lourdes, ChiChi and Coco!
Newmar 2016 DSDP 4381, 2016 Jeep Sahara Unlimited, Blue Ox Alladin Towbar with SMI Air Force One[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FRasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've found it difficult to shop for a mattress for our coach in a mattress store. The problem being is most of those are set on box springs. The mattress in my coach is on a plywood platform. Completely different foundations, so I'm not comparing "apples to apples". The only one's that come close are usually the memory foam ones that are on platform frames in stores.

That being said, we did the same as DallasOregon. A 3" memory foam topper made the coach mattress more comfortable than the $1800 pillowtop Stearns & Foster on a box spring in my S&B. I sleep much better in my Bounder than at home.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #8

A topic with so many "correct" opinions! Best advice... try as many as you can especially if you're going to spend big bucks

IMHO, the trouble with mattresses is that each day they get weaker and weaker and eventually sag to death. We've had a sleep number at home for the last 10 plus years and it still sleeps like new because air simply doesn't wear out. We also have an Ideal Rest brand air bed in the MH and I like it even better than the Sleep Number because of the internal foam grid. I prefer a slightly stiffer bed.

To each his own. I only wish you could sleep at least a week on a bed before purchasing. Anyway, that's my mattress of choice. Hope you find yours, too!

Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
Wouldn't have anything else after using the sleep number bed in our current rig. Previous rig we tried the Costco mattress topper and it helped but no comparison to the sleep number.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We shopped at a mattress store and flopped around. Actually I went first and tried a bunch and then listed my top three. Wife came later and tried the same routine and made her top three. We had one in common and that is the one we bought. We negotiated price, they delivered free, installed it a took the old mattress.

I do agree about the plywood frame being different than a box springs. I am sure a mattress store would put them on the floor for you to try.

Our mattress in the MH is a standard queen size.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #11
We have a sleep number in the rig with a 3 inch Costco memory foam topper. It's probably overkill but I sleep like a baby.
MnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #12
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We purchased our custom mattress here. We love it. Reasonable price. They are located in Kansas City, Mo.

RV Mattress Selection in Lee's Summit
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 129K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #13
Our Winnebago Adventurer came with a standard Queen size mattress which wasn't too bad but not the best. We had up sized our Sleep Number from Queen to King so moved the Queen to the RV. They're made to use a solid platform instead of inner springs so worked very well.

We're in a Class C now and that mattress is shorter and the foot end is rounded so the Queen doesn't work. We'll probably do some shopping during the off season.
Jim & Sue
Matty and Molly, our four legged kids
Jayco 31DS Greyhawk, The Grey Goose
dapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #14

As Lori; says make sure any mattress you try is on a platform not a box spring. Currently into second season on a 8" foam with a 4" wedge, under, to help with DW's sleep disorder.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote

replace, replacement