RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

Let's go Camping

So wife and I want to start a new adventure. Kids out of school. One starting college. You get the picture. Want to start taking extended weekend trips once a month, like a date night. So have been looking for a camper. I want a Class A, she wants a Class C. Only want this setup so it is easy to setup and take down. Makes island hopping quick. Especially when its raining outside..lol

But on the other hand we want to pay cash for something. No payments. Getting too close to retirement. So we have a 2006 Lincoln Navigator. Nice car with 180K miles. Has air ride suspension and can tow up to 8600lbs. So the cheap person in us is saying buy a $2600 camper, fix it up and hit the road. Only issue is most campers in that price range are leaking Titanic's full of mold etc. Would it be more benefit to just find one that is about 3-4 years old rather than buying something old? Thought would be the newer ones are little lighter in weight, depending on length. Some of the newer ones I look at are weighing in more. Or should we go with an old Class A-C for easier use?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #2

Trailmanor

Oh we used to have a Trailmanor 3027. Loved it, easy to tow. But was time consuming to setup/take down. Plus the Bed was hard to get in an out of. I am disable Marine and have back issues. Other than that I wouldn't mind having another one.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #3

RV's are like cars, once they get to a certain age problems begin to multiply. We hit that with our 2006 34 ft Titanium fifth wheel and bought our current 2016 Arctic Fox 30 ft TT. That said there are lots of older RV's still out there. A lot of times someone has done a massive rebuild and refurbish of the unit.

So it depends on what you are willing to do to save some money. Even with the newer unit I have a 15 items maintenance list I'm working thru on our TT. And I think a lot of these refurb jobs end up costing a lot more than the owner planned on.

We have avoided Class A, B and C RV's for a couple of reasons. Class B are too small, limited and very expensive for what you get. Class A and C have the big problem of either dragging a small vehicle behind, or of having to pack up and move the big RV when you need a loaf of bread. There are occasional problems of someone taking your site when you are out doing something too.

I won't deny that those units are convenient for a quick stop at a rest area; but don't see how they are that much quicker to break down camp in. You still have to get out and disconnect hoses and power lines and cables. And retract jacks. The same as a TT or a fiver. You don't have to hook the tow vehicle so you save a little time there. But you do have to hook up the toad so that cancels out. And you have to maintain two vehicles not one. And in rest areas we found it to be no burden to get out and walk to the TT door and get in. But one of us couldn't take a nap while we were rolling down the road either.

It our 8 week summer camping run I think I got rained on, a light drizzle, once.
Agesilaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:50 PM   #4

Thanks is great info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agesilaus View Post
RV's are like cars, once they get to a certain age problems begin to multiply. We hit that with our 2006 34 ft Titanium fifth wheel and bought our current 2016 Arctic Fox 30 ft TT. That said there are lots of older RV's still out there. A lot of times someone has done a massive rebuild and refurbish of the unit.

So it depends on what you are willing to do to save some money. Even with the newer unit I have a 15 items maintenance list I'm working thru on our TT. And I think a lot of these refurb jobs end up costing a lot more than the owner planned on.

We have avoided Class A, B and C RV's for a couple of reasons. Class B are too small, limited and very expensive for what you get. Class A and C have the big problem of either dragging a small vehicle behind, or of having to pack up and move the big RV when you need a loaf of bread. There are occasional problems of someone taking your site when you are out doing something too.

I won't deny that those units are convenient for a quick stop at a rest area; but don't see how they are that much quicker to break down camp in. You still have to get out and disconnect hoses and power lines and cables. And retract jacks. The same as a TT or a fiver. You don't have to hook the tow vehicle so you save a little time there. But you do have to hook up the toad so that cancels out. And you have to maintain two vehicles not one. And in rest areas we found it to be no burden to get out and walk to the TT door and get in. But one of us couldn't take a nap while we were rolling down the road either.

It our 8 week summer camping run I think I got rained on, a light drizzle, once.
That is great info. I was thinking the same thing. When we had our trailmanor we went camping with my Sister-in-Law's family. They had a Older Class A. When it cam time for us to leave it started raining buckets. Buy the time I finally got the trailer hook to the car they was hooking and leaving. I still had to do the jack etc. I got in the car and was wet from head to toe and cold. Had to travel that way all the way home.

I see your point about having to keep up two vehicles. Also the time when your not using it. Maintenance on batteries etc. I really wanted to look at 5th wheels, because I can find them cheap and has lots of room. But man the cost of a truck is crazy $$$. I can see where these are easier to setup and tow.

So I think will stay simple and try and find a clean TT under 29'. We still have two adult kids that might go with us from time to time. So looking for that bunk room for them. If not they can sleep out in a tent...lol Found a 1990 Playmore for $1800. Smaller camper and should be an easy tow for the Lincoln. Would like to find something with a slide for the more room. But this would increase our weight.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:18 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I were you I'd look at a used Springdale...291RKS. My daughter has one. Only 1 slide- but big. Only 30' and your suv would pull it. (We have an Expedition with the same mechanicals as yours).
Old 08-27-2019, 06:15 AM   #6

Just because an RV is new or slightly used does not mean it does not have water leaks. Anything you look at should be inspected very closely in ever nook and cranny for the signs. Check for delamination of the sidewalls and roof.

We had a TT but also like to stay at the lake for extended periods and my wife won't tow anything so we bought a class A. This way I can tow the boat nd launch it.
Many times when we are traveling we just pull into the RV park site and turn off the key and don't even bother to hook up to the facilities. Sometimes we do this for several days. 700 watts of solar so this helps unless we need air conditioning.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #7

Now that's what I am talking about. Just pull in and relax for a day or two. Then hook up. I just know with a TT I'll be doing all the setup work and driving. She went tow and drive. She freaks out when twoinh a uhaul trailer. I like the idea about the boat with the class a. How is it on the boat ramp. I'd be affaired it would roll into the water.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:33 AM   #8

For boat launching the tail of the class a matters. We used to fish the tournament trail and one guy used to pull with his class a. It was a gasser and they can have loooong distances from the rear axle to the hitch and on steeper ramps he dang near hung his boat like a coat on a hook. The diesel pushers usually have the rear axles closer to the back.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #9

To buy or not to buy old

Well I found a really nice deal on a 1989 Chieftain. Wants $4500 for it and has new tires all the way around. Everything works including the generator. Which is a plus on long trips we could dry camp on the way to where we are traveling to. It is 24ft which is what we where looking for. Didn't want something too long. Just wonder if it would be good for a toad tow or not. Plus the age of the unit trying to find parts for it.

Thought would be to by this, see if we like the Class A idea. Where ever we get to our location we would just rent a car for a couple of days. Do this starting out before we invest in setting up a toad. I have a 2003 Saturn Vue we are thinking about using as a toad. Should we buy....?
Old 09-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Class a's are most definitely easier for setup and break down but also have a much steeper learning curve and will be a much larger investment in getting it ready and maintaining. Start with a used travel trailer, get a feel for how you will actually be using it, then invest in the more expensive self propelled unit. You will not know what features you will like until you actually go camping a few times.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #11

3 years ago we bought our 1999 35 foot class A with 15000 miles for $5K! Yes I had to buy 6 new tires and perform maintenance, but it still looks great and functions perfectly. There are some great deals out there.
Bahamaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:17 PM   #12

Price of Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
3 years ago we bought our 1999 35 foot class A with 15000 miles for $5K! Yes I had to buy 6 new tires and perform maintenance, but it still looks great and functions perfectly. There are some great deals out there.
wow sounds like a nice ride. But just being new here to the Class A want-a-bee's. just how much is RV tires. What did you spend on tires?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #13

Donít worry about maintaining two vehicles. You still still have to maintain a car/truck at home no matter what your RV is. The idea of renting one at your camping location is good if you only Camp a few times a year for a week or less. Otherwise it is cheaper to tow one behind a Class A or have a truck to pull a trailer or fifth wheel. I had a fiver first. It was good but I like the Class A better. But I am full time and use it 24/7/365.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dads Toy View Post
wow sounds like a nice ride. But just being new here to the Class A want-a-bee's. just how much is RV tires. What did you spend on tires?
With RV tires they age out, not based upon mileage. Most RV tires must be replaced at 10 years old. 6 tires cost between $2K and $5K depending upon brand. At 7 years old you should inspect the tires before every trip.

Bahamaniac is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping