RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2018, 02:03 PM   #1

Level Class A w/o Jacks

Couldn't find anything related to this issue in a search.

My HWH control box is bad, and prior to that I was having issues anyway. Doubt if I will expend the cash necessary to get them fixed this season.

Has anyone used the plastic or hard rubber leveling blocks with a Class A Motorhome. Was thinking of doing that to get through this season.

Thanks for any thoughts on the issue.

Chuck

Phrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2018, 02:10 PM   #2

First of all,

Welcome to the conversation...

Here are over 400 previous threads on "leveling blocks".

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22l...=11&gws_rd=ssl

And here are a couple of dozen on the LevelMate Pro that is a great little device that will help you immensely by giving you accurate indications of which tires need to be raised and how much.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22l....com&x=17&y=12

My suggestion on the leveling blocks thread would be take the first 5-10 threads in the last three months and that will probably be the best information you will get.
As for the levelmate, there is a newer version with an on/off switch upgrade and if you get one, that is the one you need.

You can also search for "RV Leveling" on you tube and get a double feature's worth of videos to watch.

There is also a member that goes by AzPete who's name is Paul. He works for HWH and if you send him a PM or search for his phone number and he may be able to help you troubleshoot your issue and it may be something relatively simple.

Old 04-26-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I doubt that those plastic blocks would hold up!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:45 PM   #4

Off hand it depends on how heavy your motor home is. Anything in the gas class will be fine with blocks or 2x lumber. DP's may get interesting.
nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:14 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
This is one of those things that would be worth spending the money. Leveling a coach with blocks can be very time consuming and frustrating if you are much out of level. Add to the degree of difficulty, our coach has a different ride height on the front from the back so when the air is dumped the level changes. I have learned the approximate difference when looking at the information on the level.

I would be reluctant to drive up on blocks to lift any of the corners a foot as some spots at that out of level.

If not it would be great to camp in parks with concrete pads or very level pads.

Have to add that the rear wheels are both supposed to be supported.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:21 PM   #6

My first class A was a 32 foot Gas Bounder and it didn't have leveling jacks. I used the interlocking plastic blocks. Most of the time I chose sites that were pretty level so it didn't take much to level up the rig. The plastic blocks can crack when on soft surfaces so I also carried some 2x6s. Now I have a 37 foot long diesel Safari Serengeti and it'll smash those plastic blocks. Fortunately the Safari has leveling jacks. I still carry a couple 4" thick wooden blocks that a friend made for me if I need a little extra height but very rarely need them.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:29 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I used several of the plastic stacking blocks under a jack pad once. Gave the remaining, uncrushed ones to my son.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:53 PM   #8

Hard rubber or wood is the way to go. .I had the plastic stackable ones and they break easily
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:17 PM   #9
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
My ole 2001 Mirada didn't have levelers.. I had bubble levels mounted near the drivers seat and could see them. I could usually get it fairly level just by scooting back and forth. On those rare occasions I carried 6 or 8 2x6s and put them under whatever tire I needed to to bring it up to level.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:16 PM   #10
motorized toy collector

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I also made blocks for my previous jack-less class C out of 2x6 boards with one end mitered. I still have them in our class A for those just in case moments.
Earlier this month we were boondocking with our Jeep club in a sno-park that was very un-level for snow runoff. After blocking the right side, we were perfectly level. Never used our jacks as it was a little muddy.
Worked great. They are staying in the class A.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #11

Thanks for the input and references. Got some work to do!
Old 04-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #12

We use wood boards. You can get them as scrap material from any construction site. They are piled in the dumpsters. Cut them to length.

The plastic ones don't hold up. They cracked even with our lightweight older Winnebago. They don't always crack nicely either. Sometimes they explode and shoot plastic out in all directions. I think they are dangerous.

Once you learn to level it is pretty easy to estimate the number of boards. We also have the ramps to get up on 3 or 4 boards. 1 or 2 we can drive up on.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrog View Post
Thanks for the input and references. Got some work to do!
Personally...I would plan a 1st trip to HWH in Iowa, A couple of hours of shop time (@$90 hr.) would be well worth it to me.. AND it would be a nice little drive from 'Jersy this time of year...not too hot...not too cold...But spring is in the air!
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #14

Wish I was able to do that this year! May have to settle for the local HWH authorized dealer.

Tags
class a, jacks