Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
level gages

I installed a couple glass level bubble gages to help me level the motor home during camping and I was really surprised when I discovered that the one I installed in the front between the hood doors broke only assumings due to the weather, and I was only a few month old, does anyone have a recommendation of a better type that will hold up better and not effected so much by the weather?

I was told by the PO that they were not needed because he told me that when leveling , when the lights on each of the level arms comes on then the motor home is level but that seems to not have any truth in that statement, base on my trying to lean how to do it on my own, all 4 lights comes on and I can tell just by looking at it , it is not level.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #2
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
With the HWH levelers on my motor home the lights on indicate that they are down (not stowed). On the panel where the levers are located there are lights that indicate which side or end is not level.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The bathroom door seems to be the most accurate indictor of level on my coach. Just open it halfway and if it stays put, the coach is level.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:17 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
The bathroom door seems to be the most accurate indictor of level on my coach. Just open it halfway and if it stays put, the coach is level.
I have one of these and it's much better than the old bubbles. Find it at Camping World. Just turn it on, lay it on the floor next to you and level. The lights will turn from red to green to show when you are level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ezleveldescpic2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	8244  
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 PM   #5

Why not get one of the little bubbles from a digital scale and mount it on the doghouse. When the bubble is inside the circle it's level in all directions. Plus you can see it from the drivers seat.
jimbo16720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:03 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If the leveling system is not level from an automatic level standpoint, the system needs to be reset so that it is level when the lights go out or all come on depending on the make and model.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:58 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo16720 View Post
Why not get one of the little bubbles from a digital scale and mount it on the doghouse. When the bubble is inside the circle it's level in all directions. Plus you can see it from the drivers seat.
Thanks all for the feedback so far, I will check some of them out, but this post makes me wonder, how many of you level from the driver's seat, my system was installed aftermarket, and sits to the left of the drivers seat just behind it and I only assumed based on the location of the unit that leveling would be done standing on the ground with the drivers door operating the levelers.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Your leveling system may need to be calibrated. If you have a book on it try looking up the calibrations method and run through it.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:27 AM   #9

You can level it from any place on the motorhome. The bubble level I'm talking about is flat and levels in all directions at once. All you have to do is get the bubble inside the circle and it's level in all directions.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #10

Jimbo ,I haven't field tested it yet but there is an app for my droid phone that shows a circular type bubble for leveling,just like you are describing. I would assume the iphone has something similar. (I'm leaving my 4' contractors level in the coach till I'm sure).
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
The bigger, wider the level the more accurate. If you had a 4ft level, if it would fit, it should be more accurate then a 2" bubble level. IMO
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #12

The ones I've seen are on small scales at work. The principal is the same. It had the little bubble level in the back facing up. Looked like a little target with the circle and you adjust the four legs by screwing them in or out till the bubble is inside the circle and it's level. The size of the level doesn't matter, if it's level it's level. All a 4 ft level is going to tell you is if it's smooth.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:42 PM   #13

Come to think of it they also have them on the old tire balancers. The manual ones that you set the tire down on and it has a bubble with a circle. You move the weights around till the bubble is in the center of the circle and then hammer the weights on and it's balanced.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #14

Circular Levels | Bullseye Level | Circular Level Vials