Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #1

Levelers

Being new to RV-ing, I'm not real sure how important leveling jacks will come into play. I did have a TT back in the 80's , but didn't see a real need for them with that. Really don't know what to expect with different campgrounds and such.
The MH has some air shock bladders. Do they really come into play with any leveling help?Guess, I should think about getting at least some manual scissor jacks with some pads?
HRvindeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
It would help if you could tell us what you have and where you are planning to use your HR.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRvindeb View Post
Being new to RV-ing, I'm not real sure how important leveling jacks will come into play. I did have a TT back in the 80's , but didn't see a real need for them with that. Really don't know what to expect with different campgrounds and such.
The MH has some air shock bladders. Do they really come into play with any leveling help?Guess, I should think about getting at least some manual scissor jacks with some pads?

Scissor jacks on a motor home would be like screen door on a submarine useless. You don't need jacks unless you have slides on mind sitting at a angle. If you just have air ride and not air leveling they want come to play in leveling either.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
On our DP, the jacks help stabilize it for moving around at night. Often don't even lift up much at all, just enough to support frame on the jacks instead of the air bags.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #5

In this day and age, I can't imagine having a MH without jacks. We have had automatic jacks on our Bounder gasser and DP. Make a huge difference when you are on a site that is not level. A must with slides.
rmilewsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
It would help if you could tell us what you have and where you are planning to use your HR.
It's an 2003 Atlantis 29 class c. It has 2 slides. Just bought it a month ago.9500 miles.
Hopefully we'll(wife) do 4 or 5 extensive trips when retirement happens starting Jan.15. Plan is to stop at state parks .Towing a CRV.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:38 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry a few pieces of scrap wood, if one side or end is going to need a little extra lift to get close to level, I will use them under the jacks.

They are also good to use to prevent an imprint into the asphalt from the jack pad, it will distribute the weight over a larger distance.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 06:12 AM   #8

Sounds like I'll definitely need something to level it up occasionally. Hate to put that costly of an upgrade on first MH. Any idea about what system would cost to install?
Old 10-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The couple of times we've over nighted at WM without the levers down, I was amazed at how our 'A' moved as the DW's 115 lbs. moved about. I would imagine that movement would be worse in a 'C'.

We have stayed in more than a few State Parks and found all but a few of the sites were a little more than uneven. That's where the levelers really come in handy.

I just saw a hydraulic system on e-bay for a 'C' for about $1700.00...installation not included. Being your first MH, I'd wait to see how tolerant you'll be with the MH home movement and all the leveling you'll be doing without a leveling system. Besides, if you guys like the lifestyle, more than likely there will be a RV upgrade in you future. Happy camping.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Scissor jacks on a motor home would be like screen door on a submarine useless. You don't need jacks unless you have slides on mind sitting at a angle. If you just have air ride and not air leveling they want come to play in leveling either.
I think scissors jacks would be a good option on a CLASS C. To add a leveling system to a Class C is difficult because of an already crowded undercarriage, added weight and reduction of CCC. I'd use the RV for a while first before investing in levelers or scissors jacks to see if you feel they would be worth the investment.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I think scissors jacks would be a good option on a CLASS C. To add a leveling system to a Class C is difficult because of an already crowded undercarriage, added weight and reduction of CCC. I'd use the RV for a while first before investing in levelers or scissors jacks to see if you feel they would be worth the investment.

IMO, this answer above is absolutely correct! And providing us with your rv type now gives everyone a much better idea on how to provide an answer for you. The initial responses were referring to a Class A with air suspension...not a much smaller Class C with spring suspension. Huge difference. Too much info is much better than not enough.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRvindeb View Post
It's an 2003 Atlantis 29 class c. It has 2 slides. Just bought it a month ago.9500 miles.
Hopefully we'll(wife) do 4 or 5 extensive trips when retirement happens starting Jan.15. Plan is to stop at state parks .Towing a CRV.
I would not get worried about it unless somebody is really sensitive to movement or being slightly off level. We had a 22 ft and now have a 30 Ft C. Neither had jacks. The new one has slides. I have a couple of 2x10 stepped blocks in case I get into a really bad site but we really hardly use them anywhere but out driveway. Most of the time a little judicious positioning gets the unit flat enough.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's important to keep in mind the distinction between leveling jacks and stabilizers. I've never owned a C , but those I've seen generally coarse level with wheel blocks. Then some will stabilize with scissors, but the scissors are not carrying much weight, just.... stabilizing.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Good point about leveling vs stabilizing.

You can level a motorhome using blocks under the wheels, just like a trailer. Whether you want to pay an extra $4k-$5k for the convenience of leveling jacks is a personal choice. However, once you have them, you won't ever want to be without again.

As noted by others, the levelers are also stabilizers and will stop the "jiggles", but a stabilizer isn't strong enough to level more than a couple inches.

My advice would be to use the coach several times, carrying some short wood 2x10's for wheel pads and see how comfortable you are and how often you wish you could level more easily. Then make the call on adding jacks.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
levelers