Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Levelers Question

I believe we have a PowerGear leveling system on our RV. Can we change the controller to an auto leveling rather than manual? I'd like to push 1 button and have the system level the coach for me. Is this a possibility?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch
I believe we have a PowerGear leveling system on our RV. Can we change the controller to an auto leveling rather than manual? I'd like to push 1 button and have the system level the coach for me. Is this a possibility?
Power Gear is very responsive to emails. Of course you'll have to wait for Monday for a response. Their email address is info@powergearus.com

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Most auto leveling systems use two-way hydraulic jacks, i.e. they are powered both up and down. Yours are probably just one way - powered down but returned by springs on the jack legs. I suspect that would prohibit the use of the auto controller, but HWH could tell you for sure.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Most auto leveling systems use two-way hydraulic jacks, i.e. they are powered both up and down. Yours are probably just one way - powered down but returned by springs on the jack legs. I suspect that would prohibit the use of the auto controller, but HWH could tell you for sure.
HWH?
Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch

HWH?
http://www.hwhcorp.com/

A PowerGear competitor and possibly the brand you have?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #6

We have Power Gear levelers on our coach with the hydrolic power down and spring return, and it has an auto mode button. In fact I haven't used the manual button. Not sure you can switch yours over but if yes it wouldn't surprise me if you had to run more wires in addition to changing the controller and keypad (those two alone are about $800 I think). Power Gear is the one to contact to get "real" information for your specific unit. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I checked with PowerGear. Yes my system can be adapted. It would need a new pad, control box and harness. I can't get pricing direct from them and have to go through a dealer. I suspect it will likely be more than $800 with install.

What I don't like about our controller is the options to level.

I don't have a problem using a manual system, but what I have a problem with is that for buttons there is only a front up/down, a rear up/down and only rear right and rear left separate adjustment buttons to level side to side.
This would tell me that only the rear is adjusting level right and left and not the complete side and that it is actually twisting the chassis by doing so. My Winnebago although not automatic, at least did full front, full rear, full right, and full left.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Powergear runs a single front hydraulic hose tee'd to bioth front jacks, precisely to prevent twisting.

Fluid is free to flow from one front jack to the other, allowing the front to find its own level side to side without twisting the motorhome.

Don't worry about your system twisting your frame, it won't.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Twisting is a non-issue with the Power Gear 4-jack system, as JimM described above. In effect, adjusting the rear jack is a full side adjustment, but only the rear jack is powered while the front "floats". It is an excellent system.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
This would tell me that only the rear is adjusting level right and left and not the complete side and that it is actually twisting the chassis by doing so.
"Twisting the chassis" - don't think so.
The Monaco 3 jack system is explained in the owners manual along with the theory of it's operation. The FRONT middle jack is always lowered first! They say 1 inch, I use 2. It then becomes the L/R pivot point for the front with the actual L/R leveling done by the rear 2 jacks.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #11
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks all. I wasn't aware the front jacks shared the fluid. I just got a cost to update to automatic with a new pad, control box and wiring harness. $1000.00 parts only and then labour and tax.

Won't be doing that any time soon!