Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #1

Question Leveling a Rental RV with No Leveling System

My mother and I are renting an RV for a little under a month and we will be mostly staying at different campgrounds as we are traveling from the Midwest to Colorado to Arizona up the coast to Portland and back over and down to Colorado. We are renting a 25 foot RV from Cruise America which has no slides, no leveling system, and no jacks.

I've read that for the fridge to work properly the RV needs to be level. Since we are on such a long trip it is important that we can keep items cool in the fridge and freezer!

I imagine that we will encounter a variety of different sites along our trip and often not the best ones as we won't be able to make campground reservations until about a day or two ahead.

Since we are renting it makes no sense for us to buy expensive equipment to level.

I do plan to get a leveler to see how even or uneven the RV is. Any suggestions for that? Where should we keep it in the RV? By the fridge? In the fridge?

If we have an uneven site how do we get the RV level? Since we will be many RV campgrounds just one night we won't want a lot of set up and tear down time. Is there something we can do or get that is cheap and easy?

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
The most simple solution is to get some lumber to drive up on. Scrap would be nice but if you have to most Home Depot or similar will cut lengths for you. Usually three for free or something then pay a small amount. 2"x12" would be my pick, about 2' long each. Both tires on the rear dual wheels should be on it if the rear needs to go up.

You can also get stackable leveling blocks made for RVs. I have never rented but am surprised the RV rental company doesn't supply something like that.

Most decent CGs (campgrounds) will be reasonably level but you never know. The fridge will have to be "more than a half bubble off level" for the fridge to not operate. That is a lot. You will feel like you are walking in a boat on the water.

I think the newer RV fridges are more tolerant than the older models but don't worry, it will let you know with an alarm.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #3

levleing

I would highly recommend you get written instructions from Cruise America before leaving their lot.

C.B.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I carry six 2" x 8" x 16" pieces of wood I cut. I cut an angle on one edge of each to help a tire up. If a wheel or two are a little low I move the RV a foot ahead and put down one or two as necessary behind the wheels needing a lift and back the RV on to them. Sometime I stagger one on top of two. Been doing it that way for many years. If one does finally crack I just cut a new one. Pretty cheap and works fine for me.

Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:09 AM   #5

You might find the MH you rent may have some leveling blocks in one of the storage bays. If not with the newer fridges you don't have to be perfectly level for them to operate properly. The few times we have stayed in a Walmart paring lot or rest stop overnight, I try to park where it is the most level but it is never perfect, and the fridge has worked fine.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #6

There are some pretty good level Aps available for your smart phone. I use Inclineometer
Old 04-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carrying some scrap lumber as mentioned is a good idea. I believe most campgrounds that you will visit will have level sites (or close to) but then you may visit some that aren't so level. The fridge does not have to be perfectly level but close is a good idea. Good Luck and have a great trip. Be safe!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
You will also need a level.
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post

Most decent CGs (campgrounds) will be reasonably level but you never know. The fridge will have to be "more than a half bubble off level" for the fridge to not operate. That is a lot. You will feel like you are walking in a boat on the water.

I think the newer RV fridges are more tolerant than the older models but don't worry, it will let you know with an alarm.
This is really good to know. Part of the issue is just getting a feel for how level it needs to be. The fact that it has to be very noticeably off level to not work is a good thing to know.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #10

Oh, and the RV does come with a written manual. In fact, I have a PDF of it already.

The website explicitly indicates there are no levelers.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
There are some pretty good level Aps available for your smart phone. I use Inclineometer
That is great. I never thought this is something a smart phone could do. Love apps!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:46 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenW View Post
The website explicitly indicates there are no levelers.
We rented a 32 footer from General RV a couple of years ago prior to purchasing our coach. They too disable the leveling system on their rental units - explaining that they had too many renters damage them.

We did roughly 800 miles wandering around Michigan's Lower Peninsula over the course of 8 days - staying in a different campground (mostly state parks) every night on that trip - and didn't do anything to level it. There were a couple of spots where it was clearly out of level - but not terribly so. We didn't have any issues with the refrigerator.
SpaceNorman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
We rented a 32 footer from General RV a couple of years ago prior to purchasing our coach. They too disable the leveling system on their rental units - explaining that they had too many renters damage them.

We did roughly 800 miles wandering around Michigan's Lower Peninsula over the course of 8 days - staying in a different campground (mostly state parks) every night on that trip - and didn't do anything to level it. There were a couple of spots where it was clearly out of level - but not terribly so. We didn't have any issues with the refrigerator.

This is great to know. It may be a bit of a non-issue for us. I'm assuming as well the smaller the RV the less of an issue it is - that longer RVs are more challenging to level.

I've read that Cruise America has done a lot of modifications to their standard rentals over the years because of common damages. For instance, the steps are built in internally. Too many people driving off and damaging external steps!
Old 04-05-2016, 11:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenW View Post
That is great. I never thought this is something a smart phone could do. Love apps!
You don't even need to download an app. Just Google bubble level and you've got one.

Tags
leveling