Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #1

Leveling an RV with Wheels off the Ground

Occasionally we're forced to camp at a spot that is far from level. We'll get the "excess slope" light when extending the leveling jacks, meaning the jacks aren't long enough to achieve level. In the past I've put support blocks under the jacks as necessary to achieve level. This usually results in a set of wheels being off the ground. And, yes, I know it's not the safest thing to do - jacks can slip off the blocks even with wheels chocked, etc. etc. The safety aspect aside, does anyone know if raising a set of wheels off the ground will actually damage the coach? I've heard conflicting opinions - some say it will tweak the frame or result in a cracked windshield. Others say they've encountered no problems. I fall into the later category. I've done it many times and never had an issue. And I've seen some motorhomes with a set of wheels at least two feet off the ground. But maybe I've just been lucky. Any thoughts?
aktraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #2

Unfortunately I cannot tell what type of coach you have as there is no signature or any other helpful indication in your post so I will respond to what I am familiar with. If you have air brakes, only the rear tires have parking brakes so NEVER lift them off the ground. I also put blocks under the tires (drive up on them) if I can tell the rear wheels will be lifted off the ground. I actually have to do that while its parked on the slope in front of my S&B.
As for the frame twisting aspect, no idea. But my guess is its not recommended. I am taking a camp freightliner class in a couple weeks. I will ask them. They do make my chassis, so it will be good to know.

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 12:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here we goes...

A often asked question typically with responses either way.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 03:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
Unfortunately I cannot tell what type of coach you have as there is no signature or any other helpful indication in your post so I will respond to what I am familiar with. If you have air brakes, only the rear tires have parking brakes so NEVER lift them off the ground. I also put blocks under the tires (drive up on them) if I can tell the rear wheels will be lifted off the ground. I actually have to do that while its parked on the slope in front of my S&B.
As for the frame twisting aspect, no idea. But my guess is its not recommended. I am taking a camp freightliner class in a couple weeks. I will ask them. They do make my chassis, so it will be good to know.

-Bill
Mike Cody from Camp Freightliner will tell you do not leave front wheels hanging in the air. I took the course last September and he told us to make sure the front wheels are on the ground or on blocks.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:11 AM   #5

Our front wheels have been off the ground since the beginning of January. Normally I would drive the front up on blocks but ran out of them. A tree was removed from this site due to the hurricane. They filled the site and laid down sod but never compacted the soil. So the blocks I have, have been sinking into the ground. I've re-leveled 3 times so far.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I suspect the answer to this is dependent on the type of suspension. I don't think it'll hurt a leaf spring coach to dangle the front end, but I'm not sure about air suspension.
I wouldn't raise the rear end off the ground, regardless of the suspension.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillSD View Post
Unfortunately I cannot tell what type of coach you have as there is no signature or any other helpful indication in your post so I will respond to what I am familiar with.

-Bill
Look at his profile and you'll see he has a 40' Newmar Canyon Star. A lot of folks don't duplicate that info in their signature.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #8

If the coach has air bags, then as soon as the jacks lift the weight of the coach off of the bump stops then the only weight remaining on the tires is the unsprung axle weight. A coach with leaf springs will continue to support weight a bit longer since it is compressed by the weight of the coach and it takes more lift to completely unload the spring. Either way, the parking brakes are doing little to nothing with the axles unloaded in this fashion. Also, the tires are doing little to nothing to provide any traction avoiding lateral sliding in this condition. The jacks are designed to support the weight of coach and the relatively insignificant additional weight of the axle being supported along with it will not overload the jack or otherwise harm anything else. If the site is unlevel enough that sliding is a concern with the wheels off of the ground, then the jacks should not be used in the first place.
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I had a 1996 vintage Ford chassis coach that could let the front end shift enough that the windshield worked out of its mount. Raising the front unevenly of lifting the wheels off the ground exacerbated that. The next ( a 2002 on Workhorse chassis) did not seem to be adversely affected even though the front appeared to droop a bit. Then a 2004 diesel pusher with a ZF IFS up front that didn't seem to care at all, but that was Freightliner's top-line chassis and very strong.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Here we goes...

A often asked question typically with responses either way.
Beat me to it!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did it when parked beside the stick house for up to six months at a time, with my 40' DSDP, BUT:
Spartan said it was OK
Newmar said it was OK
Reyco-Granning said it was OK
Koni said it was OK
HWH said it was OK

And I did it for 13 years with no problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #12

Well gang,
Yep, this subject's been discussed oh, maybe a few thousand times or so, on multiple RV forums. And it's always a debate. To me, it really doesn't matter WHO authorizes lifting a set of wheels off the ground to level a coach, it's not THEIR COACH, it's mine. So, having more stability points in contact with the ground which, not only supports anything and everything, it also puts potentially considerably less on the jack mounts and frame attachments. When a coach, ANY COACH is lifted to the point at which the front tires lost contact, any and all latteral movement is now absorbed by the Jack mounts/frame attachment points. So, I figure why do it?

I just don't have any issues getting out and putting down some lumber, i.e. ramps, blocks etc. to help with making things as stable as possible. Everyone has to do what they think is best or needed.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I rarely "dangle" a wheel, never a drive wheel. I carry enough wood to normally stay out of trouble. Attached is a picture of a drive on/off ramp, the bottom board is 18 inches 2x6x18.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	195624  

Tags
leveling