Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2019, 07:34 AM   #71

My take away from this mess is that if buying a used vehicle, then wait to register it when you get to your home state. As long as you have a dated Bill Of Sale and are taking a direct route home, no LEO should challenge that. It seems like the worst thing a LEO could do is issue a citation with a grace period to get the proper vehicle tags.
I've done this many times when buying a used vehicle from a private owner, driving the vehicle home w/o a tag, just a BOS (granted, it was usually less than a couple hundred miles home).
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asdf View Post
File with the state attorneys general office consumer affairs complaint department, state item was purchased in, asking for resolution of the malfeasance and possible criminal action dealing with monies involved.
If the AG office is any good a resolution should be resolved quickly.
Yeah, like the FL AG office is going to go out and criminally charge the FL DMV office or a FL dealership based on a vague complaint call or letter from someone on the other side of the country.
Old 02-25-2019, 11:24 AM   #73
doc

Appalachian Campers
Sadly I have heard similar stories of people dealing with LeMesa. The coach we just bought was purchased by the previous owner from them. When he traded for a newer model, he told our dealer he would not ever buy from LeMesa again.
Sorry that you are getting jacked around like this
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:22 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
My take away from this mess is that if buying a used vehicle, then wait to register it when you get to your home state. As long as you have a dated Bill Of Sale and are taking a direct route home, no LEO should challenge that. It seems like the worst thing a LEO could do is issue a citation with a grace period to get the proper vehicle tags.
I've done this many times when buying a used vehicle from a private owner, driving the vehicle home w/o a tag, just a BOS (granted, it was usually less than a couple hundred miles home).
Not in Florida. Remember Florida is a strange place. If you buy a vehicule in FL and the tires touch the road in front of the dealership, It must have some form of florida tags and tax is paid.

I dabble around in old AMGs and have sourced several out of FL. One I really wanted to fly to Ft. LaDeDa and drive cross country. Turned out cheaper by thousands to have it shipped by Reliable, the only people I would ever trust to ship a car or bike.
Igeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #75

OP posted back on 2/18/2019 Pg 3 post #40..........DONE/RESOLVED

3 pgs and 34 posts ago.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 04:34 AM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
If you need to go through a county tag / tax collector in florida, you can choose one.

I recommend the tax collector in Indian River County, Vero Beach. Vero is just North of St Lucie County.

I use the Indian River office for my tags, registrations & transfers (even though it is not my home county) because they are very helpful.

Call in , describe your problem, and, if you are courteous, someone will bend over backwards to do whatever they can to assist you. Keep the name of the helpful person, and go back to her every time. You will be amazed at what they can accomplish, if they want to help you.

PS.. Mesa antics are well known in this part of the country, local tax collectors have knowledge of their operations.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

3 pgs and 34 posts ago.
And nothing was done wrong.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:23 AM   #78

Do you want to know what I think? It’s like this, mistakes after mistakes, paying taxes to a state you are not intending to to register in, dealer not having a clear tittle (this is what I think really happened) and not getting a transit permit license plate from intended state in this case California, buying cars are no different then buyin rv that’s my take and my experience if a dealer collects taxes from you: dealers sends a package directly to the state where you are going to register, or in many cases the title is stamped “taxes not paid” and hands you all the pappers (Nevada actually delivers the car at the border) and give you all the papers in either case the state where you buy issues a transport temporary tag usually 5 to 10 days (Michigan it’s 30) does caca passa? Yes but not very offten unless all the ducks are not lined up like in this case I’m glad it’s all behind now lesson learned.

Zzotte
Old 02-27-2019, 05:33 AM   #79

At the risk of beating this horse more,

not getting a temporary license plate from intended state

This is not always possible. I bought a van from Tennessee from a relative. In Tennessee, the plate on it got moved to the new vehicle they bought, so it had no plates. Texas would not give me a temp plate because I didn't own it yet and it hasn't had a Texas inspection. Tennessee would not give me a temp plate because i was not a resident there. I had to say oh well, and just take the paper plates that came on the guys new car, which the dealer happen to fill out in pencil, and just make them into my plates for a few days so i could drive it home.

charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:58 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
At the risk of beating this horse more,.............. I had to say oh well, and just take the paper plates that came on the guys new car, which the dealer happen to fill out in pencil, and just make them into my plates for a few days so i could drive it home.

I think we've all had to do this once in a while. Instead of all the red tape governments make us go thru to deal with a used car, I've done similar.

10 years ago I bought a 3 year old Harley Davidson. I met the seller an hour away. I grabbed the plate off another bike I have, put it on the Harley and rode it to my driveway. It then didn't move until it was all legal.
glasspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:02 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
At the risk of beating this horse more,

not getting a temporary license plate from intended state

This is not always possible. I bought a van from Tennessee from a relative. In Tennessee, the plate on it got moved to the new vehicle they bought, so it had no plates. Texas would not give me a temp plate because I didn't own it yet and it hasn't had a Texas inspection. Tennessee would not give me a temp plate because i was not a resident there. I had to say oh well, and just take the paper plates that came on the guys new car, which the dealer happen to fill out in pencil, and just make them into my plates for a few days so i could drive it home
Laws must have changed, when I lived in San Antonio, I would buy cars in California ( bens and bmw’s ) and BEFORE I left Texas I would have two or three transit permits valid for 5 days they are to be confused with temporary tags and we drive all home. Now purchasing from a relative I would just drive the car with the original tag and mailed back save the $12

Zzotte
Old 02-27-2019, 12:37 PM   #82

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just wow!
We purchased our MH in OR and live in WA. Dealers outside service handled the whole thing perfectly. I called the DMV in WA to ask about our vanity plate. They said we'll transfer it to the new rig. So we just took the plate off our old rig and put it on the newer rig and left for a three week vacation.
Got back and went to the local DMV and finished the paperwork.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:25 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

3 pgs and 34 posts ago.
He didn't say if it is complete. I believe he said that he will sit on the phone the next day to make sure everything is completed. This is a very good thing to do. As said by others, written documentation is best. If phone calls are made, record them if you can get them to agree to bring recorded. California and Florida are two party consent states, this requires all parties involved to consent to being recorded. This is needed if you want to use the conversation for anything that is said or promised to you. IE: the Florida rep that said "we don't do that". My response to her statement would be to ask for her supervisor. When trying to deal with a bureaucracy, if you are not getting what you are asking for always ask for a manager or supervisor. And keep going up the chain until you get what you are wanting. Often, people on lower chains are unaware of how to get what you are asking for and simply say they can't or don't do it.
Hopefully you have stayed with this to the end and have the issue resolved, with documentation. If you are automatically suspended in one state, it will eventually show up in another state and you will be up for a suspension again or automatically suspended in that state. Many things are done with computers without any over site by humans unless a problem arises. It's more efficient. Follow this through to the end so you know that it is truly over. It may be done without a hitch, but when it comes to your personal legal or financial matters, your over-site is wise. Good luck, and let us know if it is complete.
rd2callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #84

The person I spoke with on the phone said the matter was closed. They would not validate the statement in writing. I would compare this to asking that a statement validating that all the mail in ballots in the Florida 2018 elections have been counted be provided. I am sure there is no way of knowing that there are not boxes of uncounted ballots somewhere in a bathroom in Florida. Someone does not want to make that commitment.
rfkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension