Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
I think if you look at the line items on the registration you will find that most of the amount you paid was for sales tax... which is 6.25% for a newly purchased vehicle in Texas. Your 12 month registration, even with the new higher fees, is probably less than $400 per year. Also remember, Texas has NO personal property tax so the sales tax is the only "TAX" you will pay on the MH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandersmr View Post
Also, you will be able to claim that sales tax as a deduction on next year's federal taxes - whether you itemize or not.
Exactly.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #16

Hey, first of all, texas is collecting on taxes that was purchased out of state!! #2. No I am not married but have a wonderful female partner that put up half of the money to purchase the coach. But The state is licensed the coach. Not the people driving the coach, they are required to have a license of their own. There is no reason to require a person that will not drive to have insurance to get the coach registered!! And that was the goal!! resister it in Texas. Or should I say Van Zandt county, TX.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #17

if she is putting up half the cash why wont she drive the motorhome half of the time?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anytime you register a vehicle in Texas for the first time, you will pay sales tax. Did you also pay sales tax in the state where it was purchased? It could be that you can get a refund on that...I'm not sure how that works. The good news is, sales tax is a one-time hit and you can claim it on your next year's income taxes.

I believe the insurance requirement is because the state requires the owner(s) to have insurance before the vehicle can be registered. Since there are two owners showing on the title, both must be insured.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #19

If for example, a man & wife have a small trucking company. The wife runs the office. Is she to have a class #1. licenses to own a truck? If you buy a product out of state, UPS it in to your address, are you paying taxes on the product? Somedbody show me the logic??
Old 02-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They don't need no stinkin' logic; they set the rules.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #21

TrampsRV: Because she can't see that well any more. You don't have to own something and be required to operate it. Leasing companies own 100's of cars, are they required to be licensed to operate everyone? Get real!!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb6epp View Post
TrampsRV: Because she can't see that well any more. You don't have to own something and be required to operate it. Leasing companies own 100's of cars, are they required to be licensed to operate everyone? Get real!!
ok.just asking.we bought our mh and had it stored till spring.the DW cant wait till summer to drive it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb6epp View Post
Hey, first of all, texas is collecting on taxes that was purchased out of state!! #2. No I am not married but have a wonderful female partner that put up half of the money to purchase the coach. But The state is licensed the coach. Not the people driving the coach, they are required to have a license of their own. There is no reason to require a person that will not drive to have insurance to get the coach registered!! And that was the goal!! resister it in Texas. Or should I say Van Zandt county, TX.
Here in WA you owe taxes on the property being brought into the state. It's called "use tax" and is equal to the sales tax you would have paid had you bought it in state. Probably the same in TX.
Sounds like part of the OP's "problems" are not understanding the law and having the right forms with them when they arrived.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want a real run around at the county tax office, try Harris county. I honestly think they will not hire anyone with an IQ of over about 50.

Another problem is the state site does not always have the latest forms available on line.

Ken
Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just bought a new RV in Florida (I am a Texas resident). I told them up front that I was titling the RV in Texas. Evidently Florida has a reciprocal agreement with Texas, so I paid the sales tax here and when I sent in my registration form to Texas I only had to pay the difference between the two taxes. When you filled out the VTR 130-U did you put in the amount that you paid as sales tax when you bought it?
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandersmr View Post
Also, you will be able to claim that sales tax as a deduction on next year's federal taxes - whether you itemize or not.
Great, on what line of the form 1040 do I enter the tax if I use the standard deduction? I know you can if you itemize and it is added to the state tax computation.
Richard
Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray ghost View Post
I just bought a new RV in Florida (I am a Texas resident). I told them up front that I was titling the RV in Texas. Evidently Florida has a reciprocal agreement with Texas, so I paid the sales tax here and when I sent in my registration form to Texas I only had to pay the difference between the two taxes. When you filled out the VTR 130-U did you put in the amount that you paid as sales tax when you bought it?
WA treats it the same way, if you can prove you paid taxes in another state and how much then you get credit for that amount and only pay on the difference. Sales/Use tax in WA can be very close to 10% in the Seattle area.

If you trade a vehicle in to a dealer you only owe tax on the difference so it sometimes doesn't pay to sell it yourself.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvarner View Post
Great, on what line of the form 1040 do I enter the tax if I use the standard deduction? I know you can if you itemize and it is added to the state tax computation.
Richard
That could be a "maybe" as the credit has to be authorized by the IRS code, WA's has to be approved each year although they were trying to make it permanent.

Tags
texas